Thread: Sorting Stock Lenses

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Sorting Stock Lenses

What's the advantage/disadvantage of sorting stock lenses by cylinder power vs. sphere power?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Organizing by cylinder power is the only way I've ever done it. It's the only way the makes sense to me.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I’m the same way, I’ve always sorted them by cylinder power too, but recently noticed someone else had them sorted by sphere power and it just made me wonder the pros/cons of sorting by sphere or cylinder.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've never seen lenses sorted except by cylinder. Corporate labs, private practices, big, small, no difference. I'd stick with the industry standard if I were you, if for no reason than that all contact lens sample kits are pre-labeled that way, and you want consistency across every channel of your office.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Either system will work both require the same effort the pick and replace inventory. If you are inclined there is a different system called chaotic inventory. It allows you put incoming inventory in any open bin with no regard what is next to it or where it was last time you picked it. You simply scan the barcode and the bin location. When you want to retrieve you tell the computer what you want and it will tell you the bin location. It will direct you to the oldest first as you might have the same product in multiple locations. The advantages to this are many. Anyone can put away product as they don’t have to understand what it is simply use the barcodes. It is very fast. New product can be added without the problem of trying to find a place to put it and you never miss pick an item because it is never next to a similar product. You can put all inventory under one system finished lenses, contacts and frames they are just barcodes. If you implement this system you ask yourself why didn’t you do this sooner.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Lensman11 View Post
    Either system will work both require the same effort the pick and replace inventory. If you are inclined there is a different system called chaotic inventory. It allows you put incoming inventory in any open bin with no regard what is next to it or where it was last time you picked it. You simply scan the barcode and the bin location. When you want to retrieve you tell the computer what you want and it will tell you the bin location. It will direct you to the oldest first as you might have the same product in multiple locations. The advantages to this are many. Anyone can put away product as they don’t have to understand what it is simply use the barcodes. It is very fast. New product can be added without the problem of trying to find a place to put it and you never miss pick an item because it is never next to a similar product. You can put all inventory under one system finished lenses, contacts and frames they are just barcodes. If you implement this system you ask yourself why didn’t you do this sooner.
    You'd better pray the computer never fails.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Think of it like this... You've just built a brand new lab, and your lens drawers are empty. UPS drops off a big, beautiful box filled with hundreds- maybe thousands - of stock lenses, sorted and packed in neat rows.

You can: -pick them up out of the box in big groups and plunk them right into your drawers, or
    -rearrange the whole pile of them into another order

I've always gone with option #1, because there was plenty of other things to worry about.

note: I'm thoroughly gray headed now, and lens manufacturers may not ship opening orders so neatly any more...
    Last edited by tsmith1315; 12-10-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: disclaimer added
    -Tim

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmith1315 View Post
    Think of it like this... You've just built a brand new lab, and your lens drawers are empty. UPS drops off a big, beautiful box filled with hundreds- maybe thousands - of stock lenses, sorted and packed in neat rows.

You can: -pick them up out of the box in big groups and plunk them right into your drawers, or
    -rearrange the whole pile of them into another order

I've always gone with option #1, because there was plenty of other things to worry about.
    Yeah. All things being equal, you go with the industry standard. That way everything is consistent from department to department, and new hires with experience don't need to be retrained.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    If you continue to do things the same way new people will surpass you with improved productivity. Would you consider rocking in cylinders instead of using a generator. Would consider not using freeform lenses because they were not the standard. Things change innovation will come either you embrace it or become a victim of complacency.
    As far as the computer going down how many office functions rely on the computer make sure you have a back up system. In addition you would print out a report whenever you put away inventory so you have a hard copy of product location as well dates to show how long they have been sitting in inventory so you can make an informed decision if you should stock certain items at all.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good grief! Everything has to be SO difficult around here.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Lensman11 View Post
    If you continue to do things the same way new people will surpass you with improved productivity. Would you consider rocking in cylinders instead of using a generator. Would consider not using freeform lenses because they were not the standard. Things change innovation will come either you embrace it or become a victim of complacency.
    I use freeform lenses all the time. That's not the question here.

As far as the computer going down how many office functions rely on the computer make sure you have a back up system. In addition you would print out a report whenever you put away inventory so you have a hard copy of product location as well dates to show how long they have been sitting in inventory so you can make an informed decision if you should stock certain items at all.
    That sounds like much more work than just arranging them by cylinder like every other lab does.
    Last edited by AngeHamm; 12-11-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Thread Information