Thread: Need help with a patient complaint

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Need help with a patient complaint

Hello,

I am a newbie in the field and having a difficult time with patient troubleshooting.
    It is a little long, but bear with me please.

Here is the patient's prescription:

OD: +0.50 -0.25 *178 add +1.50

When she walked in a couple days ago, she was already wearing progressive lenses.
    She brought her own frames and wanted to put in just a new pair of lens since it's been scratched.
    After inspecting, I found they were generic lenses made from a company in California.
    I asked her how much she got it for, and she said for around $200ish.
    (Not sure on this information, I can only go by whatever information she tells me)
    Also after talking to her about her specific need for the glasses/price/etc,
    we agree on a progressive lens (also a generic one from the company I use, but it is decent quality).
    She drops off two frames, one for progressive and one for regular reading glasses.

Monday morning, she comes back to pickup the glasses, and we spend a good 6-10 minutes fitting them on.
    I direct her to look far, get her to use my computer, and give her a book to read.
    I tell her to walk around the shop one time.
    Everything is perfect and she loves both of her new glasses.
    She says she can see so clear, and also that the progressive glasses were so much better then her old glasses.
    We are both happy here until then.

She decides to then drop off another frame that looks exactly like the one she just had her progressives in,
    and tells me she wants to make them reading glasses.
    I had a special going on and would only charge her $20 for one pair of single vision for returning customers.
    and she told me she didn't have any money with her right now, and that she'll pay me when she picks them up.
    It was only $20, so I agree.

Monday afternoon, she gives me a call to the shop.
    She's been wearing this glasses for a couple of hours now, drove home with them,
    and she says she absolutely love her new progressives so much,
    she thinks it'd be better if I made her progressive glasses on the frame she just dropped off.
    It is the exact same model as the one she used for the first pair,
    so she wanted them done in the exact measurements I did the first time.
    At this point, I was a little hesistant,
    because although I know they are the same model, I would have felt more secure re-measuring everything to that specific frame,
    and because now she wants progressive lenses, the price is not $20.
    I would rather have her come back in to make at least a deposit of half or more on anything over $100,
    but it looked silly to have her come all the way back to pay, since she was a returning customer and she really liked her first pair.
    So I oblige.

Wednesday, I get another call to the shop from her.
    She says now she absolutely hate her new glasses because she can't see.
    and she would like to cancel the new glasses she ordered.
    I ask her which part of the glasses specifically do you find doesn't feel right?
    Does your far vision/intermediate vision/reading vision not feel right? Yes to all of them.
    Do you feel dizzy when you look through your far vision part? Yes.
    Do you feel the reading part of the progressive is too short? Yes.
    Do you see double vision? Yes.
    I was only trying to find out what could be wrong with the progressives she took home,
    and she says "everything" as in anything I ask her she feels uncomfortable.

My first suggestion was for her to bring back the glasses when she has time, so we can assess the problem step by step.
    And if we do find there was a problem during dispensing, I can remake the glasses for her.
    She suggested she just doesn't want the progressives anymore because it "doesn't fit her".
    So I should either give back her frame, or make them single vision reading glasses.

We did agree for her to come in on Friday to assess the problem first,
    but if she decides "everything is the problem" are my options to just make her single vision glasses and swallow the loss?
    It was my mistake to start a lab job without getting a deposit first,
    but I am left with a lab job that cost me about $100 that the customer is not willing to pay for.

Everything aside,
    what could be a possible reason she suddenly can't see with her new glasses?

Thanks..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are times that when you do everything right and the pt confirms that you did everything right when she picked them up, she probably went home and someone else felt that she should not of got glasses at that time and she is just trying to find a way to get money back or she saw or some friend mentioned to her about some two for one TV add for dirt cheap price regardless of the quality or experience of some others out there. Sometimes is best to cut your loss and let the pt go.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Glad stuff like this doesn't just happen to me. I find it very upsetting, and got a sinking feeling reading your story... Why can't people just be honest?
    Anyway, use the second order which she hasn't paid for as leverage for denying a full refund (because she has cost you a lot of money, ultimately). I feel like that's going to be her next request.
    And change the second pair to readers. Make sure you have documentation of her phone calls to you before she comes into the store.
    And be thankful that almost all patients are not like this!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This sounds like a case of buyers remorse. I had one similar to this recently. Duplicated lenses for a second frame and she swore that they gave her such a headache that she was going to have to go to the ER.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd say at least 10% of the patients we deal with have a mental health problem. Mostly it is no big deal but every now and then this comes along so it's really not a trouble shooting problem imo. The problem is between the patients ears.

So I'd guesstimate 90% of the patients are going to be fine. The next 8% are going to be PITA's (Pain In The A..es). Then there's the 2%er's and this one sounds like one of them.

So Mindfullness helps many opticians and then there's the 4 fingers in a highball glass over ice at the end of "one of those days" for the rest of us.

Hang in there and welcome to Optiboard!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The problem is between the patients ears.
    Uncle Fester is right.
    What we do is testing all the glasses we sell on ourself. So if you know how the vision with a glass is, you know if the customer is telling you bull**** or not.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That is an unfortunate aspect of this profession, have had this happen before but to the extent that they place the glasses on their face then immediately throw them off saying they can't see, I mean the nose pads haven't even touched their face, SMDH. I agree, you incorporate the cost of the lens in any refund, that way she'll think harder about her options on the next purchase. We gotta train the patient and not let them train us.
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    UPDATE:

I just wanted to thank everyone for the replies.
    The customer was supposed to come in on Friday to talk about what to do with her current and ordered glasses,
    but she just never showed up.
    I am afraid she is going to throw away her frame (it wasn't a high-end designer or expensive material).
    In that case, I would have to just talk with my lab to see if they can give me a break.
    Lesson learned for sure.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are a newbie!

When they say "Friday" they mean within the next month or two!

Be firm- Stand your ground and don't let her intimidate you.

Remedy the problem where you- at worse- break even and move on.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 11-24-2019 at 09:45 PM. Reason: tweak...

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by saeromida View Post
    I ask her which part of the glasses specifically do you find doesn't feel right?
    Does your far vision/intermediate vision/reading vision not feel right? Yes to all of them.
    Do you feel dizzy when you look through your far vision part? Yes.
    Do you feel the reading part of the progressive is too short? Yes.
    Do you see double vision? Yes.
    A 24 hour turnaround from seeing wonderfully, to blur and double vision makes me think of three possibilities:

1) The eyeglasses have become mispositioned due to some mishap.
    2) An acute condition has occurred (optic neuritis, retina detachment, etc.) requiring an immediate call to the doctor.
    3) You're dealing with a professional, i.e, "When the going gets weird, the weird turns pro." - H. Thompson

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    This is one of those times where you need to figure out what the patient REALLY wants:
    1. money back
    2. problems fixed.

You need to ask.

If it's the former, I'd comply and cut my losses. Never going to see that person again, in that case. It would be a good thing.

If it's the latter, roll up your sleeves and give great "customer" service. It would be a good thing.

Getting into an argument at this point will only drain your soul of goodness.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    This is one of those times where you need to figure out what the patient REALLY wants:
    1. money back
    2. problems fixed.

You need to ask.

If it's the former, I'd comply and cut my losses. Never going to see that person again, in that case. It would be a good thing.

If it's the latter, roll up your sleeves and give great "customer" service. It would be a good thing.

Getting into an argument at this point will only drain your soul of goodness.
    This guy knows how to fire patients. It's not about getting your money, or breaking even. It is about maintaining your sanity. If they don't want to be helped, find the fastest way to cut ties, preferably in a polite manner. Dealing with the crazy people is part of the cost of doing business sometimes. We would all make more money if we had couches to lay down on in the optical and charged by the hour. We already have to listen to the full moon customers anyway, might as well get something for our troubles.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    After contemplating this further, I agree with DrK and Kwill

Thread Information