Thread: Which of the new Davis labs are you using and how is the quality so far?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Which of the new Davis labs are you using and how is the quality so far?

While the new Versant website is super buggy we have been really pleased with the work we have been getting back from Optic Blue. Its a significant upgrade from the previous lab.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We are going to use Homer Optical in Virginia Beach, with whom we already have a long-running relationship.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Empire Optical
    North Hollywood, CA.

Everything is fine so far, as this is our EYEMED lab as well.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So does this mean you do not have to use a "Davis" lab? I'm curious because we par with Davis for exams but not for materials and loose a lot of patients in optical that way. We would consider it if we could use our local lab and had a bit more control with materials.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Davis is now using a selection of ELOA labs. I believe there are 12 of them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting. I heard in the state of PA that Governor Wolf signed a bill that says optical insurances can't force an office to use their lab. Not sure if that is true, but it sure would change things.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Davis vision is rolling over to Versant health starting in December. DBL Labs and Optogenics are our establishments preferred labs for PAL's. If you have an open account with a preferred lab, make sure to "add" that lab to the pre-registration for the switch!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Interesting. I heard in the state of PA that Governor Wolf signed a bill that says optical insurances can't force an office to use their lab. Not sure if that is true, but it sure would change things.

Arkansas passed the Vision Care Act in 2015 that forbids vision care plans from forcing you to use their lab. Several other states have passed similar legislation so this has some momentum. I was told that you have to sign a new agreement with each vision plan to get the new reimbursement schedules for using your own, or another lab. I received the form from Spectera the other day and will be sending it in and then work on the others. Davis is probably next on the list or I may just drop them altogether since I don't see many patients that have it in my area and their customer service is terrible.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ in Texas View Post
    Arkansas passed the Vision Care Act in 2015 that forbids vision care plans from forcing you to use their lab. Several other states have passed similar legislation so this has some momentum. I was told that you have to sign a new agreement with each vision plan to get the new reimbursement schedules for using your own, or another lab. I received the form from Spectera the other day and will be sending it in and then work on the others. Davis is probably next on the list or I may just drop them altogether since I don't see many patients that have it in my area and their customer service is terrible.
    Virginia, too.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Virginia, too.

Good job Virginia! In addition to a few other states (Colorado, Utah, NJ) that are passing similar laws there is a push by the AOA at the national level with the Dental and Optometric Care (DOC) Access Act (article at link). At least there is some momentum in that direction and I'm glad they brought dentists on board to fight for this to give it extra leverage. I think the VCP's see the change in the wind and that's why we are seeing the consolidation in that industry and the smaller ones won't survive.

Thread Information