Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets play a game. How long were you on hold with Davis/Versant today?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ditto for us!!!!...opt-out contract,,no more 2+ hour holds to get a remake authorization.....

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunately I don't really have a say if we take Versant or not. 4 hours on hold today and just had to hang up. 5 hours yesterday just for the girl to say she had no clue how to help us and then put us on hold for an hour without resolving our issue. They email they sent admitting how bad they messed this up said they hired 20% more call center staff failed to mention the new staff has no idea what they are doing. This is beyond ridiculous and someone needs to be held accountable but no one will. Also the magic phone number doesn't work anymore.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzinator View Post
    I hope that with time the call wait time will be back to normal.
    "Normal" call time was routinely an hour plus, so I don't see that as a win.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We're still using the Davis site until next week. Fingers crossed...

I sent a message to our Field Consultant about an order submission with errors, and he said not to bother with the call center due to the hold times.
    He told me to email any issues to him that would normally require the assistance of customer service, including remakes, backdated authorizations, etc.
    This will initiate a callback, but at least we won't have to wait on hold, and we have someone that's accountable.
    -Tim

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmith1315 View Post
    We're still using the Davis site until next week. Fingers crossed...

I sent a message to our Field Consultant about an order submission with errors, and he said not to bother with the call center due to the hold times.
    He told me to email any issues to him that would normally require the assistance of customer service, including remakes, backdated authorizations, etc.
    This will initiate a callback, but at least we won't have to wait on hold, and we have someone that's accountable.
    I didn't know Davis had "Field Consultants."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yep, I think they're called "Professional Field Consultants". It's who I would go to with Provider Relations questions, contract questions, etc.

The last# I have for the Davis corporate office is 800-328-4728, that's how I found our Field Consultant a few years back.
    -Tim

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Between Friday and Monday I was on hold for 12-1/2 hours for a simple scratch warranty remake.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    6.5 for an Rx change.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So here's a question... if it's a warranty or rx change and you are not using a "Davis" lab and you are using one of the Essilor labs, can you contact them directly? Just curious. We are considering picking up Davis. I've worked in a different office with Davis and they were so horrible. That was using the Davis lab before they were bought out. The office I am in now participates for exam only and not for materials. We loose A LOT of patients in optical because of it. We are hopeful that things will change in PA that would allow us to use a lab of our choice, but we can't do it if we are on hold forever. That being said, would you guys recommend picking up Davis? Are things any better with being able to use different labs? We are trying to make a decision. If we can use our local lab, we will definitely want to do it, but not if on holds are crazy. It's like trading one problem for another. Opinions welcome!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    According to our lab (lab is Essilor Lab), they can not do anything over the phone for changes. This comes from Versant rules. They have to come from the web site. I would not recommend Versant (Superior+Davis). Offices here in Oklahoma are considering dropping them. They are the worst to deal wit in the 13+ years I have been doing this.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Update
    According to lab now. if you do not change tiers, you can call in RX changes. I guess going from SV to MF or AR coatings from one to another is not allowed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pbrownlee View Post
    Update
    According to lab now. if you do not change tiers, you can call in RX changes. I guess going from SV to MF or AR coatings from one to another is not allowed.
    Thank you for your information! We really despise Davis, but like I said, we loose a ton of patients between the office and the optical. Perhaps if they get the phone thing worked out? I know. I'm probably dreaming.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    This won't change until patients complain to their employers about all problems providers are having to endure. The threat of losing business will force the suits to have to rethink their plan, I hope, or start all over from ground zero.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Can't get a hold of anyone at Davis....so frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledzinator View Post
    47 Minutes then the system hung up on me.
    Several coworkers and myself have all tried getting someone at Davis since Monday. We have tried several times for several hours each, without anyone from Davis picking up. We need redo's done (not surprising there...lol) and have to deal with Davis, not the new Superior/Davis, to actually have redo's done prior to the merger. We think they just aren't answering any of the hundreds of phone calls they are getting.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    We need to drop Davis. They are actually the worst to deal with. I feel sorry for our Davis patients because the materials they use are usually crap and we usually have to do remakes almost daily.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And I ask again...Why do you deal with this? How are you actually making more than peanuts dealing with this plan? “ But 24/7, we got lots of peanuts in this plan!” Well, a good cash pay equals 10 peanuts. There’s ways to retain and attract patients without insurance.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    6.5 hrs for a redo warranty job yesterday

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am going for a total of 12 hours and talking to 3 different people for one order. Apparently it is now a known issue that the material benefits for the federal employee plan weren't showing up for part of December. 1 call to get a ticket where no one ever called us back a second call to get a special auth and currently on hold to try and hopefully get order entry on the first try and actually place the order.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I set up my versant/Davis lab to be the same as my in house, Vsp, and Eyemed lab. Now I don’t have to call Davis I just call my lab like I do 2 times a day already and call in anything direct. Done with talking to Davis. If you are still with them and you have this option do it for sure. Also more lens and coating options. Old jobs From last year before the change is another story. Davis was shipping to our old store that we moved 5 years ago. We changed shipping through fax, email, and phone and they still shipped to wrong location. Night and day now since I can use my lab. CB

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    VSP OON did that twice for me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cbeard08 View Post
    I set up my versant/Davis lab to be the same as my in house, Vsp, and Eyemed lab. Now I don’t have to call Davis I just call my lab like I do 2 times a day already and call in anything direct. Done with talking to Davis. If you are still with them and you have this option do it for sure. Also more lens and coating options. Old jobs From last year before the change is another story. Davis was shipping to our old store that we moved 5 years ago. We changed shipping through fax, email, and phone and they still shipped to wrong location. Night and day now since I can use my lab. CB
    Ok... so I want to make sure I understand this. Right now we don't par with Davis but are considering it if we are able to use our local lab. So... if we are able to use our local lab for Davis jobs, we can just call the lab directly for warranty or remakes? I assume when you say your lab, it is YOUR lab and not a lab that is not owned by your office? We do not have a lab in our location. This is totally separate and owned by other people. Thanks!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok... so I want to make sure I understand this. Right now we don't par with Davis but are considering it if we are able to use our local lab. So... if we are able to use our local lab for Davis jobs, we can just call the lab directly for warranty or remakes? I assume when you say your lab, it is YOUR lab and not a lab that is not owned by your office? We do not have a lab in our location. This is totally separate and owned by other people. Thanks!
    To minimize some confusion, up until mid-2019, if you contracted with Davis Vision you had to use one of their labs (if you're on the West coast, your jobs went to their San Antonio lab, East coasters had their orders sent to their original Pennsylvania lab).

After Davis was bought by Versant, Davis started allowing opt-out contracts with their accounts so that you could still submit claims for exams/spectacle orders but use independent labs (as long as they were approved by Davis). A caveat here is that not every independent lab is Davis-approved, so you'll want to make sure the lab you use is before you look into this opt-out contract.

Things get dicey for accounts that have taken Davis since before the change. For example, an order that was done March 2019 from the Davis lab, an account would have to call Davis directly to make any re-makes on that order (see above thread to imagine all the fun this will entail). For an order that was done later 2019 (assuming you opted out of having to use the Davis lab AND YOU SHOULD), the account would call the independent lab directly and not have to bother calling Davis for re-makes.

Hopefully this helps.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmm... This is how I understand it.

There is now a reasonably large group of Essilor labs that Versant/Davis requires providers to use under the standard contract. This is the standard set-up and some remake/warranty issues can be handled directly through the Essilor lab without involving Davis. I think many or most providers have been migrated to this system, and the remaining providers will follow this year.

In addition, certain states (such as GA) have required Davis to allow you to opt-out lab of their network entirely, use any lab of your choosing, and the lab bill is yours. This option has been available for several years in states that require it. You can't do both, all jobs are 100% yours to process if you opt-out, and there is an agreement for both parties to sign. If you do choose to opt-out of the Davis lab network, the logistics of remake and warranty services are between you and whatever lab you use, but you must follow Davis' requirements even if it's at your own expense.

It's been a couple years since I looked at the opt-out contract and it was prohibitively limited in requirements and reimbursements then. The progressive formulary had to be followed, offering exactly the same products at exactly the same prices as the standard Davis contract. Exam reimbursements are tied into the opt-out contract, and in our case, exam reimbursements would have been reduced 38% for the privilege of buying the products they specify from the lab of our choice.

In either case, IMO, the efforts required aren't worth the reimbursements we receive. In many cases, we collect more copay from the patient than we are allowed to keep. In those cases, Davis pays us nothing and we send them a check instead.

If I could talk our owner into dropping just one insurance plan, Davis would be my first choice to drop. Mervinek, if I were in your shoes, I'd let that sleeping dog lie.
    Last edited by tsmith1315; 01-09-2020 at 03:18 PM. Reason: can't be satisfied
    -Tim

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I could talk our owner into dropping just one insurance plan, Davis would be my first choice to drop.
    Agreed. The optometry clinic I managed until June 2019 was one of only two locations in my county that took Davis and I unwittingly became the Davis expert as a result of having to deal with them so often. Now that I'm at a clinic that doesn't contract with Davis, life is just...serene.

Since I only know first-hand the time of the long long ago when the Davis lab HAD to be used, I saw the reimbursements from most of our Davis orders, and it just wasn't worth the hassle. With the charge-backs on some plans, we'd actually have to pay the patient for their spectacle order even though the EOB showed we charged exactly what we were supposed to have charged the patient. I don't know if reimbursement rates have changed for the better post-Versant, but I absolutely wouldn't recommend dealing with Davis if you could help it.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Bear in mind also that, even for offices that are able to place Davis orders through an ELOA lab, there are still a small number of Davis Medicaid plans that will require you to use the old Davis labs. I haven't seen this come up yet, but I know it's part of the new Davis arrangement.

Thread Information