Thread: Finally seeking ABO Certification!!!

OptiBoard Apprentice

Redhot Jumper

Hiya All! Novice here...!
    Well, I've been in the optical field for about 4 yrs now (former elementary schoolteacher, believe it or not!!)
    Anyways, I am thinking about getting ABO certified. I live in TX (non-certified state)but I feel that I'm "cheating"!! I want to be able to carry my "title" officially all over and want to truly warrant being called an "optician"!
    I'm worried, though. I've been out of school for a while now and I'm not sure I still have the study skills/self discipline!! Another BIG thing is that I'm definitely a hands-on learner. Never have done a "Home Study" and am not sure I can! I'm not able to look at a text book and incorporate what I've just read - I'm by NO means a "ditz" (graduated Magna Cume Laude in fact!) But that was WITH organized instruction! BTW...I've checked...there are no courses in my area for instruction.
    Anyways, does anyone have any tips/pointers for me??? Words of wisdom?!!
    Also, there is SO much course prep material out there...I'm so overwhelmed! Which one would you recommend? Boy, sure is "pricey" too! Anyone have any of their course prep material that they'd be willing to sell me??

Thanks a MILLION!!
    Mermaid

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The NAO has several different ABO study materials. You can purchase on-line at their site. Also, you can take on-line opticianry classes @ various sites. I would recommend purchasing the study materials as they help with sample questions and will help guide you toward the areas you need to study. They helped me immensely when I was taking it as the written exam for the Virginia state board! Good luck and if I can be of any help feel free to e-mail me.

------------------
    Cindy A. Hamlin
    Eastern Regional Operations/Personnel Manager
    Vista Eyecare, Inc.

[This message has been edited by cah2020 (edited 06-28-2000).]

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    As mentioned, you should find the NAO material to be very helpful. What is your work environment like? If you can find an Optician who is good at teaching concepts, you will have found a valuable resource for information.

Of course, it should be noted that the NFOS (National Federation of Opticianry Schools) has developed a home study course which is being offered by community colleges across the country beginning this Fall. From what I've heard, it should be a good program for anyone wanting a thorough knowledge of the field. I believe their website is www.nfos.org (I think :)).

Good Luck!
    Pete

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

With 4 years in the field, you've hopefully gained a lot of practical experience. That will be your greatest asset. Do you have an in-house lab where you can go to see how the other side lives? Are there people you work with/for who have been in the field for close to forever? Those things helped me the most. Some of our lab techs had been grinding lenses since before I was born, and they were, and still are, a wealth of knowledge to me. Spending time in the lab helped me understand more about the fabrication process. When I wasn't in the lab, I was most likely at the dispensing counter, which is a learning experience in itself.
    Of course, reading never hurts either. I haven't read any of the materials others have suggested, but they can't hurt.
    I would say to you, or anyone who is considering sitting for the exam, to go for it! There is no shame in failing, because if everyone passed the test would be worthless. It's just an opportunity to see where you are lacking.
    Good luck!

Blake

OptiBoard Apprentice
    BOY...you all are SO supportive! I'm very lucky to have found you!
    Unfortunately, I have had VERY little/no lab experience. Everywhere I've worked I've been on the floor selling, selling, selling. PLUS, no one really ever took the time to show me. MY "place" was always SALES!!
    But, this is frustrating...I want to learn!!

Anyways, I am currently in the process of finding a NEW job...this will definitely be a MAJOR consideration in my final selection for sure.
    Is there anyone out there in the DFW area?

Thanks again, Fellow EyeBuddies!!!

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi! I wish you lots of luck. If you need any help feel free to e-mail me anytime. I promised myself that if I ever passed that I would help anyone (as best as I could). No one should ever have to do it alone. People don't realize that once they become certified that the best thing you can do for yourself as well as someone else is study with them. Alot of this stuff is easily forgotten if not refreshed in your mind. I personally not only don't want to forget anything I want to learn as much as I possibly can. I think some people just get certified and think "well now I know it all". No matter how someone may think that no one ever knows it all(well maybe Darris :)) I think that it is very shallow of people to not lend a helping hand to those who desire the help. Everyone where I worked was so excited when I decided to take the ABO. Then no one could take an hour of their time to help me. I also heard alot of "oh it's been so long since I've done that. I am not sure I remember enough to help you" Well that there is the PERFECT reason why they should help. I mean really! If they feel like they forgot alot of things they should refresh their memories with more than just CE hours. Sorry I didn't mean to ramble. I guess I just have some resentment and had to vent! Feel free to e-mail me anytime. If I don't know the answer I can almost guarantee someone on here will!
    Talk to you later! Lots of luck!
    Steph

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    You learn what you teach. What you withold, you withold from yourself.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Mermaid,
    You might want to invest in the "Optical Formulas Tutorial" by Ellen Stoner and Patricia Perkins and the "System for Ophthalmic Dispensing" by Brooks and Borish. They are both textbooks we use here at Northern Virginia Community College, and are worth the investment.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Redhot Jumper

Thanks to ALL of you for this support! Incredible! Wish I would've found you all years ago!!

Judy - can you bring your program to Fort Worth please? We NEED one around here!!

Al - I agree withya wholeheartedly!!

Steph - You're a wizard, you ABO lady!!!

Anybody know where I may be able to purchase used study guides/videos/tapes and/or other materials??

Bad address email on file
    Well!! As a NEWLY-ABO CERTIFIED (sorry, but the excitement of passing hasn't worn off yet.) optician/lab tech, my advice is get yourself into the lab on your off-time and help out! The lab will appreciate the help, and you'll appreciate the lessons! Truly, it will help you understand a lot of the concepts that you are tested on, like PRISM!!!

I got my start in the DFW area, working as a receptionist for an Optometrist there. Sure do miss it, and her!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Labmeister, I agree with you whole heartedly. You really have to do it. It really helps it all makes sense. I am still excited about being ABOC myself. Still looking at the paper just to make sure!! Hopefully Mermaid's new job will give her a better opportunity to get her hands dirty rather than just the selling end of it. Good Luck Girl!!!
    Steph

OptiBoard Apprentice

Redhot Jumper

HEY YA'LL!!
    Remember this post??
    Well, I just went to my mailbox...and...82!
    Thanks, Santa Claus!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

WORDS CAN'T EVEN SAY HOW PROUD I AM OF YOU!!! TAKE IT AND RUN GIRL!! I TOLD YOU YOU COULD DO IT!!!!
    STEPH

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mermaid................Congrats on your ABO Certification! Cheers to yet another Optician out there who strives to better the profession. What a great Christmas gift.

Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congrats to you and don't stop, now, ya hear.

Diane

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Mermaid! Most thrilled that you passed your ABO, now that you're in sunny Florida, it'll come in handy! keep up the good work! it's always gratifying to see that hard work and persistence is rewarded. Helps if you're smart! I know you're enjoying the ice in your tea while we're shiverin' in foat wurth! ha ha. all the best Al.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good Job, Mermaid......now it's time for your NCLE..........

OptiBoard Apprentice

Jackie - Thanks a Million!
    Diane - Thanks, to you, too, Sweetie!!
    Allio - shall I have Sugar or Sweet 'N Low in my tea???
    Eyeman - CHILL OUT!! Give me SOME time for rest and relaxation! LOL
    And...STEPH....What can I say??!!!

Love ya'll!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Oh c'mon now!! Take the NCLE with me so I can have someone to study with PLEASE!!! I don't want to be all alone!! Maybe if I moved to FL we can get together to study!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! I think you need some REAL sugar in your tea. That sweet and low is gross. Some of us don't need to be drinking TEA!!! Keep up the good work girl. I am so proud of you!!!!
    Steph

OptiBoard Apprentice

Steph...you're a great friend and all and I love ya to death...but HELL NO!! No more exams for a while!! LOL

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Do you have a tail?

Thread Information