Thread: Anybody already tested the new Leica/Novacell glasses?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Anybody already tested the new Leica/Novacell glasses?

Leica Eyecare is proud to announce the launch of its new VARIOVID VOLTERRA progressive lens with ÉO-TECH Technology.

Leica Eyecare will revolutionize the visual comfort of all “presbyopic people”. This extraordinary lens comes from an advanced calculation method of the Freeform surfaces, which has just been patented after several years of internal development

How did we finalize the Design of the lens? By applying the mathematical series of Vito Volterra (Italian mathematician 1860-1940) in the calculation of lens design. The Volterra series have been mainly used in other areas (such as acoustics), but have never been used in optics. We have created the first “equalizer” of optical surfaces, which gives wearers the feeling of wearing single vision lenses.

This disruptive and revolutionary technology reduces optical aberrations by 50% to 65%.
    On the occasion of the first presentation of the lens, we were proudly awarded the highest award in the optical industry as confirmation. The Silmo d’Or 2019

Anybody knows more about this glas? Revolutionary or just marketing blabla?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That sure sounds like marketing blabla. Especially with "presbyopic people" in quotes for some reason.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter224 View Post
    Anybody knows more about this glas? Revolutionary or just marketing blabla?
    Our patented NSE (New Sphere Equivalence) technology is the new benchmark designing progressive lenses.
    https://www.leica-eyecare.com/en/var...ilmo-dor-2019/

Try a patent search.

As a result: Minimizing unwanted astigmatism for a better image and broadened intermediate as well as near zones.
    The state of art for unwanted astigmatism is about 1.50 DC per 2.00 D of add power. That may be the theoretical limit. Moreover, progressive lens design is advanced as it's going get, and any claim of a vision science breakthrough is most likely puffery and nonsense.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Moreover, progressive lens design is advanced as it's going get, and any claim of a vision science breakthrough is most likely puffery and nonsense.
    Exactly what I thought when I read about that glas. Also Novacell is owned by Essilor, so it can only be a rip off

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This disruptive and revolutionary technology reduces optical aberrations by 50% to 65%.
    50-65% compared to what? An AO Truvision? There's the rub. They don't tell you, and I don't expect them too. Marketing mumbojumbo.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My colleague wears them and he is thrilled with Leica. We made him some other PAL's (not shure which design but I where them and they are fantastic) in the same frame with same measurements and he tells that with Leica he really feels like he wears a single power lens. He finds a biggest different in a middle zone. Prescription is; o.d. plan o.s +0,50 add 2,00. I will try to find out which design is the second pair and let you know. Also we plan to made him some other ( cheeper ) design from Leica to compare with Volterra. I will wrote impressions...

Thread Information