Thread: advice required re tint course

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

advice required re tint course

I have now completed and had published 260 page book on tint prescribing and dispensing, got a video tint course ready (10 hrs approx) both in English and Russian. There is a lot new for optometrists and opticians - and some of the videos are spectacular.
    My thoughts are that I would give the video course away with the book for private individuals but would charge a license for colleges / universities if they wanted to use info.
    Cost of book is around $70 + postage in English (arrangements are different in Russian - course is already available).

Is this a good model or should I do it differently for USA / rest of world.

Book already available in UK - contact me for retailers - it has been described as "brilliant" by probably the most knowledgeable person in UK optics!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Who said that? And can you name a retailer in the UK?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    try norvilles if you wish to buy it

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why is this post so cryptic? What's the name of the Book??

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Why is this post so cryptic? What's the name of the Book??
    I suspect a pm to jarralad will bring a fairly prompt reply with a better explanation of the need to be less than forthcoming on a public forum.

I like the proposal to get the book and video disseminated to those who keep an open mind to tints and how they affect vision.

Vested interests did not believe in acupuncture or chiropractic practices for decades as well. And some never will.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Vested interests did not believe in acupuncture or chiropractic practices for decades as well. And some never will.
    I would surely hope that people, especially people in the medical field, would be skeptical of the claims of chiropractic and acupuncture, and anything else that makes dubious claims without peer reviewed scientific evidence. Historically, chiropractors have claimed that subluxation was directly responsible for 95% of disease. So I don't think you should lump Jarralad2 in with that crowd.

I can not fathom a reason to be not forthcoming if everything is on the up and up. What "vested interests" would there be to not allow proper medical research into tints and their effects? Surely not the tint companies, just look at the plethora of therapeutic tints they sell, it would be a boon for them. It wouldn't be the fellow optical professionals, who would also stand to make money, hand over fist at the dye pot, like days gone by. It wouldn't be the patients, who should benefit from the therapeutic tints curing what ails them. So who are the "vested interests" intent on shutting down proper tint research? And what do they stand to gain? What are they vested in?

Please notice that nowhere did I disparage the author, their work, or their subject matter. Keeping an open mind should also involve healthy skepticism until proven otherwise. This is not me putting down Jarralad2. This is just me asking for the trials and evidence and proper studies to show the efficacy of their work.

Chiropractic has slowly become more accepted as they have distanced themselves from the nonsense of historical chiropractic. Focusing on back pain, joint pain, and evidence based medicine, not the quackery of "vertebral subluxation".

Rising Star
    Occupation
    A Professionals Guide to Prescribing Tints and Filters

By Ian Jordan - didn't mean to be cryptic - sorry

It will be controversial - I am sure that it will be superceded in the future (at least I hope it will) - but it is a very complex subject and optical professionals need to understand basic principals at very least. For example - how many optical professionals understand how to modify filters in various lighting conditions. How many understand how very different tints can have precisely the same effects - and why. What tests can be done to ascertain efficacy......

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Some areas of filter prescribing are purely mathematical e.g. convolution for metamerism. Colour space has been understood for 90 years yet the optical professions have by and large ignored it. Effects have been known scientifically for a hundred years yet have been ignored. Yes there are areas that have not been fully explored but with the slow rate of uptake - do patients really have to wait forever to get tints prescribed to a high standard.
    Probably 80% of the book is fully scientifically accepted (although not always by optical professionals as they have not heard of things like McAdams Ellipses or their relevance in tints) but there are things that are more subjective. But there is a requirement for best evidence to be used (all optical professionals do this on a daily basis) which incorporates the scientific papers, anecdotal reports, the skill of the practitioner and the voice of the patient. After all, there would be no non tolerances if everything in optics was purely based on papers. Healthy scepticism - great - closed mind.... There is ample evidence if you know what to look for.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    the book is available in the USA on this site

http://www.lulu.com/shop/ian-jordan/a-professionals-guide-to-prescribing-tints-and-filters/paperback/product-23803944.html

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Anyone heard of Zeiss biochrom? Lens tints which they claim to affect mood?
    https://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/in...affect-us.html

Rising Star
    Occupation

mood changing lenses

yes tints can change mood / arousal etc - and a lot more too.

but not just zeiss lenses - every tint has the potential to have an effect

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    fixed

Thread Information