rimless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rimless

I have been working on a new rimless frame design - with no washers, nuts, glue or rivets. For now it is in TR90, so a little bit like 2.5 eyephoric in terms of material and category. I think an advantage is that nothing protrudes through the front surface of the lens (thus a bit easier to clean) and there is nothing to cut (screws, rivets etc...). Super easy to mount and reglaze when neeeded. Very low profile, minimalist sort of design. I would like to know whether you think there is still market interest for such a thing, and any thoughts you might share. Thanks.

Sounds like avantek, which was a great concept.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert_S View Post
      Sounds like avantek, which was a great concept.
      thanks for pointing out avantek. That is a cool looking product, it seems as though it would be assembled by the lab, but perhaps an optician can process in house, I don't know. The system I have here still uses a drill slot a bit like lindberg does, but does not require glue and can be fully assembled by the optician in house. I just wonder whether there is much interest left in rimless, it seems there have not been a lot of new products lately. I hope that maybe this little innovation might spark some. have you worked with avantek?

Comment

Yes, it sold well with minimal issues - but is now discontinued.

You're quite correct that the optician couldn't touch it. We had to send any job to Hoya if it involved removing or inserting the lenses.

In Europe, there is certainly a big demand for rimless still, despite them not really being in fashion currently.

The yardstick for me would be Flair. I think they make the best rimless frames in the world. Lindberg is good too, but silhouette and other plug mounted rimless frames are terrible in my opinion.

Your concept sounds interesting.
        Last edited by Robert_S; 09-23-2019, 12:28 PM.

Comment

You're quite correct that the optician couldn't touch it. We had to send any job to Hoya if it involved removing or inserting the lenses.

In Europe, there is certainly a big demand for rimless still, despite them not really being in fashion currently.

The yardstick for me would be Flair. I think they make the best rimless frames in the world. Lindberg is good too, but silhouette and other plug mounted rimless frames are terrible in my opinion.

I am not familiar with Flair's rimless so I will search online. I appreciate the feedback a lot. I have heard that Europe is generally a better rimless market than most. I want the optician to be able to handle this with no hassles and no extra parts. Im at the exploration phase of finding either a distributor or lab that would be interested. I don't think I have the bandwidth to start building a whole brand and launching this solo. I guess the avantek might have been more challenging due to opticians not being able to handle or process, I know that has been a turn off for me in the past.

Comment

Why do you think Flair frames are the best rimless frames in the world?

Comment

I absolutely loathe Flair frames. That janky string mounting system, is one of the worst ideas in optical. I will happily never sell another one of those frames. The frames themselves are well made, but the mountings are such a head scratcher. Over complicate something just for the sake of over complicating something. I saw zero benefit and only downside to their mounting system. I know this is like a who makes the best car debate, but for me nothing comes close to Lindberg for rimless frames.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                Why do you think Flair frames are the best rimless frames in the world?
                Good quality materials (bio-steel/titanium), most models feature gold or rhodium plating, all made by hand, and I believe the mounting system, when done right, is the best in the industry. Obviously Kiwi disagrees, and he is very knowledgeable... In my experience it significantly reduces wear on the joints between the frame and the lens (as the nylon thread takes a lot of the stress). They don't come loose either.

Comment

Here is a glimpse of the frame. no glue, no compression and the frame is flush with the lenses, ie no part of frame protrudes from the front surface of the lens. First test from our mold.

Comment

Originally posted by optimensch View Post
                    https://youtu.be/qZlFQjEo62Y

Here is a glimpse of the frame. no glue, no compression and the frame is flush with the lenses, ie no part of frame protrudes from the front surface of the lens. First test from our mold.
                    Very much like a Swissflex/Lindberg combination. Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by Kwill212 View Post
                      I absolutely loathe Flair frames. That janky string mounting system, is one of the worst ideas in optical. I will happily never sell another one of those frames. The frames themselves are well made, but the mountings are such a head scratcher. Over complicate something just for the sake of over complicating something. I saw zero benefit and only downside to their mounting system. I know this is like a who makes the best car debate, but for me nothing comes close to Lindberg for rimless frames.
                      I agree about the Flair part of the above. Hate them.

Comment

i will upload a video which shows how the frame is put together, super simple and anyone that can drill a simple lindberg slot can easily put this together and disassemble. Thanks for taking a look!

Comment

Yeah, looks good... Will be interested to see how it goes together

Comment

please excuse the slightly "quick and dirty" video, which I make while holding a phone and trying to demonstrate how this is put together. I think you will get the concept
                            thanks for taking a look.

https://youtu.be/iizQon3QFyw

Comment

any update on this?

Comment

Working...
                              X