Thread: Scratch-Be-Gone

Bad address email on file

Alright, Who let the dog out?

For years I'd been telling customers that any scratched lenses, whether plastic or glass should be replaced, that there is no substance that I know of that will remove scratches from lenses....Now I see some fine opportunistic Norwich, Ct. company is now marketing " Scratch - Be - Gone "...Seems like they have come up with this stick form of scratch remover...just rub on the lenses like a crayon and this crayon-type material " bonds with the plastic " just wipe away with a dry cloth and whammo, out comes the scratches...I always knew this sort of product existed, but only in the manufacturing environment; I knew it wasn't available to the general public and glad it wasn't.....till now. What is this stuff, some chemical compound that is compressed into waxed crayon form? Maybe it's time for someone to have caught on to this idea...I mean even if it were some kind of patented formula; all that has to be done is change one ingredient and you've got a new product. What affect has this on our replacement lens market? I'm worried...

[This message has been edited by EyeCon (edited 12-15-2000).]

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea

My bet is it is a grease pencil and a chamois.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hi EyeCon:
    Years ago I was told about (and tried...) "Butcher's" floor wax. Rub it on, buff it off with a soft cloth, and the scratches disappear... until you clean the lens with any kind of detergent or solvent. I guess this is the same idea.
    I wouldn't worry too much. Whoever buys this stuff will get tired of buffing their lenses every day... and their prescriptions will continue to change.
    I have no idea what it will do to AR.

Rich

Thumbs down

Bonds to the lens??? I'll believe that when I see it. Don't sweat it EyeCon, this is just some form of wax or something that fills in the scratch temporarily. Like Rich said, it'll be gone in a day or two. I have used several products that companies speak highly of, but good ole floor wax works just as well. Keep in mind this is simply a "quick fix" and is by no means a solution for scratches.

BTW- I would warn against using this stuff to conceal scratches on new eyewear, it is just gonna wear off and the patient will be back to see you in a few days more than likely......

OptiBoard Apprentice
    One of our local consumer reporters did a test on this "wonderful new product". She went to a local optical place (just happened to be a Cole vision operated one) and had them provide her with 3 pr of scratched lenses - mounted. Took the magic bonding pencil (looked like a plain old grease pencil to me) put it on the scratch, buffed as directed and then held the lens up for the camera. Now those lovely scratches were still there, but they were a very nice shade of gray. So she tried the same with a set of Gray 3 sunlenses. Ditto on the result. Last was a set of photogray - needless to say the result was not as advertised. So, the moral of the story is ya get what you pay for. If ya scrtach up your lenses quit being so cheap and get a new set - the quick fix don't work!!!

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Yeah, I've had at least four people ask me about the stuff... I've offered to sell them a china marker for $19.95 (why is everything always $19.95?!?), but I haven't had any takers.

I figure as neglectful as people are with cleaning their glasses (after all, they wouldn't have gotten so scratched if they weren't neglecting their eyewear), what are the chances they'll be careful enough to reapply this "Scratch-be-gone" stuff daily? I'm just surprised this isn't a RonCo product (you know, the guy with the spray on hair, and food dehydrators).

Pete "How about that hammer that dispenses nails from its handle, now there's a real winner... for only $19.95" Hanlin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE] (why is everything always $19.95?!?),

And if you act now, we'll throw in a clip absolutely free worth $29.95. Plus $6.95 shipping and handling.

:0

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'm ordering mine today - so I don't forget, I'll do it before midnight tonight!

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Arrow

One time I had this 60 something gentleman come in complaining he couldn't see out of his lenses anymore. They were about 4-5 years old and everything looked very blurry through them. Upon further inspection of the lenses they were very smeary looking. We told him he had a film on his lenses and told him about proper cleaning of his lenses.

Come to find out he put the film on his lenses himself. His lenses had gotten so scratched that he had been rubbing Avon Skin-So-Soft bath moisturizer onto them to conceal the scratches. For those of you who don't know, Skin-So-Soft is the consistensy of baby oil. What folks won't do.

[This message has been edited by Jo (edited 12-31-2000).]

Thread Information