Thread: How to test different ARs?

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

How to test different ARs?

Hello,
    I know about the AR test that tests durability (stratching, boiling the lens...), but I would like to teste the vision differences. I guess that would mean for example how much distortion there is when looking at a car light at night. Any ideas how?
    Thanks, Mairn

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That is going to be quite difficult. Unless you want to make several lenses of differing ARs in the same material, in the same frame, in the same RX and wearing it while looking at the same type of car lights over several days in different lighting conditions and angles in a blind test. Not all car lights are the same.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmarin View Post
    Hello,
    I know about the AR test that tests durability (stratching, boiling the lens...), but I would like to teste the vision differences. I guess that would mean for example how much distortion there is when looking at a car light at night. Any ideas how?
    Thanks, Mairn
    Best leave this to durability tests. Visual comfort at night will depend more on the material and HC properties than AR properties. FSVAR and most other applied ARs have reflectivity between 2% and 1.2%. The margins here are minimal. The lens material, BC, FF vs ASP vs SP, frame fit, and RX will have more influence on low light VA than the actual coating. There is also wearer comfort to account for. AND this is nearly impossible to test accurately.

You would be better served testing HEV AR vs non HEV AR for your tests, instead. HEV ARs tend to reflect more light than non-HEV AR, rendering less visible light to pass through the lens. Think BlueProtect and Prevencia. Low light VA depends on the amount of light passing through the lens, as well as the cleanliness of the surfaces. Dust and smudges will interfere with headlights and other light sources.
    If you, or any one else here can come up with a testing standard, I will be all ears (and eyes)
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Best leave this to durability tests. Visual comfort at night will depend more on the material and HC properties than AR properties. FSVAR and most other applied ARs have reflectivity between 2% and 1.2%. The margins here are minimal. The lens material, BC, FF vs ASP vs SP, frame fit, and RX will have more influence on low light VA than the actual coating. There is also wearer comfort to account for. AND this is nearly impossible to test accurately.

You would be better served testing HEV AR vs non HEV AR for your tests, instead. HEV ARs tend to reflect more light than non-HEV AR, rendering less visible light to pass through the lens. Think BlueProtect and Prevencia. Low light VA depends on the amount of light passing through the lens, as well as the cleanliness of the surfaces. Dust and smudges will interfere with headlights and other light sources.
    If you, or any one else here can come up with a testing standard, I will be all ears (and eyes)
    I was thinking about the same lens with different AR. So for example 4 different Essilor Ormix's: Prevencia, Forte, Alize and Easy. Setup would be a single led light, lens in the middle, camera on the other side. You grab the image and calculating the dispersion. What do you think?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    What temperature of LED?
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    No idea, but I would think it doesn't matter as long as it's the same for all.

Thread Information