Thread: Are there any young CE speakers out there?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Are there any young CE speakers out there?

(Disclaimer- I am employed by Essilor of America)

As I travel around to state association meetings, Vision Expos, etc., it occurs to me the CE speakers in our industry are getting well, kinda old (I count myself as an example of this trend- so no offense is intended :^).

I have to believe (and hope) there are some fresh young opticians out there who are just launching their CE presenting careers, and would really like to meet them (especially since I get a lot of "can you find me a CE speaker" requests). That said, has anyone seen any great young CE speakers out there? I know when I first started speaking, it was so difficult to find opportunities.

Anyway, if you happen to attend a CE by a young speaker who might could use some more opportunities, please post their name here or shoot me a PM!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Pete, have you tried contacting Carrie Wilson?
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I had the pleasure of heading a task group for the Vision Council that included Carrie, so I'm happy to say we are well acquainted! :)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quick question Pete, what is required to become a CE speaker? I'm on the "younger" side, but I feel like most younger people these days are just kind of lazy and it's probably not something most people know how to do, become a CE speaker. I consider myself one who likes to go above and beyond to find things out and I don't even know what the process is.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hello bta89,
    For opticians, being qualified as a speaker involves the American Board of Opticianry (ABO). As our national certification organization, they oversee the continuing education process necessary to maintain certification.

The ABO certifies two levels of speakers- General Knowledge and Technical. ABO also certifies two levels of CE (also General Knowledge & Technical).
    To become certified as a General Knowledge speaker (aka, non-technical education content), you need to visit https://www.abo-ncle.org/ On the lower right corner of the home page, you'll see a button marked "SPEAKER APPLICATION FORM," which will allow you to apply for either classification.

However, you'll want to be a Technical speaker (because a Technical speaker can present either General Knowledge or Technical courses, but a General Knowledge speaker can only present General Knowledge courses- which can limit speaking opportunities). The primary requirement for being certified as a Technical Speaker is passing the National Opticianry Competency Exam (NOCE, aka the ABOC exam, since ABOC is the designation given to those who pass). Pass the NOCE, apply to be a technical speaker, then either develop or look for content. I used my own content early on (my first course was on PAL Troubleshooting), but when manufacturers launch a new technology they usually develop CE to support it- and they may be willing to share those presentations with speakers with whom they are familiar.

If you happen to live in a state where opticianry is regulated (i.e., licensed opticians), you'll also want to work with your state association- because there may be additional certification requirements for speakers and/or content (but generally I believe most states pretty much work with ABO to certify content as well).

Hope this helps! That first CE presentation was given for Professional Opticians of Florida about 20 years ago, and since then being a CE speaker has taken me to nearly every state and several countries. I couldn't imagine my optical career without the CE speaking component- if you have the desire to educate, I highly recommend it!

Best wishes,
    Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Thread Information