Thread: "Splayed" temples

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"Splayed" temples

Often I receive High Myope jobs with frame temples splayed or stretched beyond the actual frame size kinda like this \ 0 0 /. I believe there is a beveling process to help eliminate this. Can anyone help enlighten me on this. Much appreciated.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For zyl frames I use a variable bevel, cut rear bevel slightly longer (0.2mm) so lens material is not pushing the rear edge of the eyewire out. Also helps to match the bevel curve to the curve of the frame

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    En lieu of what Alex said which I also agree with, doing a slight step bevel on a hand wheel or sanding a slight step into the lens with wet, fine sandpaper will also work.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There have been occasions when I've used a Hot Fingers device and pushed the hinges deeper on a zyl frame to eliminate the splaying. You've got to know what you're doing, though!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    just remember if you are paying a wholesale lab to do this for you, expect to pay for it. That is not wholesale robolab work, it is custom benchwork that will cost money if you aren't going to do it yourself (that is if you can find a lab that even knows how to do work anymorel

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You should be anticipating this before you close the sale and do a combination of the following: pick another frame that isn't as curved; order a steeper base (last resort); educate and prepare the patient that their rx will require flat lenses to be thin and will likely stretch the frame out; have an experienced person edge the lenses to apply all the techniques mentioned previously. As Tallboy mentioned if you are partnered with a robolab wholesaler there's a high chance you're just getting the job back cut in auto mode.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You need a good independent lab that still knows how to handle these mountings, and will be properly processed the 1st time around. There are less of us around by the day!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have a patient with 'large' head, where his previous optom would do equal splay angles on both sides of his temples, but usually ends up with unequal monocular OCs. The OD's OC would sit closer to the bridge, while the OS's OC would sit nearer to the left temple.He would like to achieve a more balanced OC placement, where his OS's OC would not be too far to the edge of the frame as he complaints it causes his left vision to fall outside of the lens, as compared to his right.Would it be achievable if we reduce the left temple splay and increase the right temple splay more than the configuration of his previous specs so that we achieve this? And also to slightly move the left nosepad closer into the nose region, with the right nosepad pushed further out? This would be the case where he wants to reuse the frame and have new lenses made.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optical Center (OC) placement is made when the lens is edged and is not affected by the temples.

Are you really an Optometrist or are we losing something in translation?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quick solution. 5 degree incline bevel. Match frame curve. Many of today’s edgers are capable of this, even in “robo-labs”. Most LMS systems have this capability, some, more than others. It takes operators and IT personnel to test and program auto edgers to handle this task. It can be done. Question is, why isn’t it done?

As a mid-size lab manager overseeing 400 jobs/day, I can attest that it is more difficult than it sounds. I have set parameters for our MEI. I have converted one of my 7Es to a 5 degree arbor. I have trained my staff to review and utilize the best edger for the job. And yet, when 5H1T hits the fan, they regress to whatever is easiest and quickest.

To compound that, our IT staff is non-optical, and I have zero control over them, as they are not my staff. It’s difficult.

Splay can be controlled at edging. Splay can be adjusted at dispensing. But why are frame manufacturers not addressing acetates for splay? It’s a design flaw. Plain and simple. It’s also on the fitter at point of sale. So don’t just blame the lab. All parties are to blame for this.

Rant over.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Another way to avoid issues in a lab large or small is to put base curve restrictions on your frames. We did this primary for wrap frames when someone orders a Plano base etc the job won’t calculate until someone looks at it a makes the right decision how to move forward. This feature helped with all frames you can’t let everything go thru without any intervention. 90% of the orders can be handled thru automation so can the remaining 10% with a little push in the right direction.

Thread Information