Thread: maui jim lenses

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

maui jim lenses

Anyone know the index of refraction of the Maui Jim lenses that are called the Maui Brilliant (abbe 56)?? Supposed to be the lightest lens material out there.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's a good question. I asked my rep and couldn't really get an answer. I suppose it's some kind of Tribred material?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes View Post
    Anyone know the index of refraction of the Maui Jim lenses that are called the Maui Brilliant (abbe 56)?? Supposed to be the lightest lens material out there.
    There are only two ophthalmic lens materials that have an Abbe value in the mid/high 50's, crown glass (59v) and hard resin cr39 (58v). If it is cr39, the refractive index and density should be similar, 1.50 and 1.32 respectively, with a similar tensile strength and impact resistance. The lower Abbe might be due to the polarizing film. If true, it wouldn't be available for rimless or drill mounts.

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    My experience has been almost every pair of MJ with plano lenses is just simply poly, marketed with incredible BS to justify the ridiculous retail cost.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I assume its similar to trivex. The mauibrilliant lenses have a smaller range of RX's than their polycarbonate lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Maui Brilliant is available in rimless so can't be CR39.

I've wondered this myself - it seems to be a new category of material but then I don't really believe that either

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    My experience has been almost every pair of MJ with plano lenses is just simply poly, marketed with incredible BS to justify the ridiculous retail cost.
    Well then I don't know how you've been around for so long and are a manufacturer/vendor and have not come across plano MJ glass lenses more often. They're what is used in the majority of their higher end glasses and poly has actually been totally phased out in Plano. It is only available in limited models these days.

Just an fyi MJ glass lenses were up until this year manufactured out of Italy by Barberini which is another name you should know if you've been around. The coatings and polarized film however are all proprietary. Barberini unfortunately has folded to Luxottica as well and last I heard MJ was looking for a new glass lens supplier based out of either Japan or Germany considering they now have a fully operational lab there as well that rivals their Peoria Illinois location.

I've been lurking on and off for a while but finally had to join...Product knowledge in the industry these days especially from the old timers seems to be at an all time low.
    Last edited by Jay2390; 09-21-2019 at 11:16 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay2390 View Post
    Well then I don't know how you've been around for so long and are a manufacturer/vendor and have not come across plano MJ glass lenses more often. They're what is used in the majority of their higher end glasses and poly has actually been totally phased out in Plano. It is only available in limited models these days.

Just an fyi MJ glass lenses were up until this year manufactured out of Italy by Barberini which is another name you should know if you've been around. The coatings and polarized film however are all proprietary. Barberini unfortunately has folded to Luxottica as well and last I heard MJ was looking for a new glass lens supplier based out of either Japan or Germany considering they now have a fully operational lab there as well that rivals their Peoria Illinois location.

I've been lurking on and off for a while but finally had to join...Product knowledge in the industry these days especially from the old timers seems to be at an all time low.
    I am an old timer and I knew Barberini very well. Vinny Barberini studied under a Mr. Gabe Cotter in high school before becoming involved in optics with Barberini. He coined the phrase "Up your nose with a rubber hose!" and used it after buying up competitors and firing all staff.

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Last edited by Golfnorth; 09-25-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay2390 View Post

Wikipedia is a wonderful thing. Where shall I send the bill for the therapy session?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Wikipedia is a wonderful thing. Where shall I send the bill for the therapy session?
    Was right off the top of my head. No Wikipedia

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Was right off the top of my head. No Wikipedia
    More for Jay 2390...For the record for all....I'm certain we all reach out for confirmation once in a blue moon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maui_Jim

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    I am an old timer and I knew Barberini very well. Vinny Barberini studied under a Mr. Gabe Cotter in high school before becoming involved in optics with Barberini. He coined the phrase "Up your nose with a rubber hose!" and used it after buying up competitors and firing all staff.

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Barberini Italy? are u sure? vinny?

anyway I think Mj is poly and some trivex material on high end stuff.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dima View Post
    Barberini Italy? are u sure? vinny?

anyway I think Mj is poly and some trivex material on high end stuff.
    They use glass on many of their Plano lenses, I think they phased out poly on their RX lenses.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They use glass on many of their Plano lenses, I think they phased out poly on their RX lenses.
    I just called my regional Maui Jim rep and she stated that the Maui Jim labs do still carry poly lenses (I think that's the Maui Evolution© line, but don't quote me on that).

I asked for clarification on the MauiBrilliant© lenses and she confirmed what the MJ website said - that the lens material is proprietary and patented by MJ. Unlike the website, the rep, who is also a licensed optician, said that MauiBrilliant© is based off a Hi-index 1.60/Trivex material, very similar to Tribrid, but with slightly different properties.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Maui evolution is definitely not poly

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    actually my original inquiry was directed toward the RX Maui Brilliant lenses and what index they are.

Thread Information