Thread: Transition extra active alternative uncut?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Transition extra active alternative uncut?

Looking for a supplier with similar technology overseas or domestic. Was checking our prices for these lenses and they were pretty pricey in comparison w our other lenses

thank you for reading

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The transitions lenses price may be different from different labs try to check other suppliers.

Hoya have "sensity dark" a similar technology to transitions extra active.

I hope this help :)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    call younger directly they may be able to lead you to a good lab.

As much as I hate to say it Transitions Xtra active is better at what it does than any of the other "xtra" photochromics out there
    Last edited by Tallboy; 07-30-2019 at 02:19 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dima View Post
    The transitions lenses price may be different from different labs try to check other suppliers.

Hoya have "sensity dark" a similar technology to transitions extra active.

I hope this help :)
    this...great lenses, no additional cost over their standard photochromics and they come with the top of the line EX3 coating.

Its pretty much the only brand I know of that offers an UNLIMITED NO QUESTIONS ASKED warranty for 2 years on their premium lens coatings. They will literally replace the lenses however many times within that time period as needed. Most other labs have a 1 max 2 times replacement policy and then you're paying at least 50%

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay2390 View Post
    this...great lenses, no additional cost over their standard photochromics and they come with the top of the line EX3 coating.

Its pretty much the only brand I know of that offers an UNLIMITED NO QUESTIONS ASKED warranty for 2 years on their premium lens coatings. They will literally replace the lenses however many times within that time period as needed. Most other labs have a 1 max 2 times replacement policy and then you're paying at least 50%
    Are Sensity lenses are the same as VSP Sunsync XT? , I might be wrong here, but I'll pass.... for now. Wasn't a big fan of the laminate technique they use, as well as the acuity while viewed clear. Definitely better than LifeRX on the laminate though.

Photofusion and Transitions are the best, but I rarely use Zeiss beyond FSV because reasons. My indie lab can't source zeiss blanks anymore (can any?) and I refuse to let my distaste for Essilor at times get in of the way of providing the best product I can.
    Last edited by Tallboy; 09-21-2019 at 01:57 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Are Sensity lenses are the same as VSP Sunsync XT? , I might be wrong here, but I'll pass.... for now. Wasn't a big fan of the laminate technique they use, as well as the acuity while viewed clear. Definitely better than LifeRX on the laminate though.

Photofusion and Transitions are the best, but I rarely use Zeiss beyond FSV because reasons. My indie lab can't source zeiss blanks anymore (can any?) and I refuse to let my distaste for Essilor at times get in of the way of providing the best product I can.
    No, Sunsync is not a Hoya product. The acuity issue was probably due to the lens being poly which most Sunsync lenses are. In fact it seems that in the US you guys use predominately poly for just about everything even when its known to be the most inferior lens material, especially when its comes to visual acuity.

Hoya doesn't offer poly at all, instead they recommend Trivex for similar applications which has a far superior abbe value to poly.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sensity is HOYA brand while Sunsync is a VSP brand. I had a patient who wanted extra dark and I used the sensity dark we had to end up redoing them because they got too dark. My feeling is that they all do the same thing more or less. I've never had a patient come back to me complaining of wearing sensity/sunsync and demanding be redone in Transitions. The only issue I've had is when sensity or sunsync isn't available with certain materials and certain lens. For example, on VSP the HOYA Mystyle sensity is available in Trivex but not plastic. I have transitions, sensity, and a sunsync lens and if I wasn't so smart and new which was in each frame, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bta89 View Post
    Sensity is HOYA brand while Sunsync is a VSP brand. I had a patient who wanted extra dark and I used the sensity dark we had to end up redoing them because they got too dark. My feeling is that they all do the same thing more or less. I've never had a patient come back to me complaining of wearing sensity/sunsync and demanding be redone in Transitions. The only issue I've had is when sensity or sunsync isn't available with certain materials and certain lens. For example, on VSP the HOYA Mystyle sensity is available in Trivex but not plastic. I have transitions, sensity, and a sunsync lens and if I wasn't so smart and new which was in each frame, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
    Okay maybe its just me. Maybe hoya should bang down my door and ask me to wear sensity if its so great.

My acuity issues were not because it was poly, it was because of the laminate material on the front of the lens (which is absolutely not poly, acrylic?)

In my humble opinion, its about giving patients/clients the best they can get for the budget they have. Poly is difficult to surface and edge correctly without issue, its also difficult to injection mold without issue, and when all of that is done correctly the price isn't much cheaper than 1.60. Trivex also has these same issues, though a much better abbe.

Photochromic cell tech has seen smaller and smaller benefits over the years, now its a race for application techniques since patents have run out. VSP sensity is trash, and there is ZERO chance it was something they R&D themselves.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    As much as I hate to say it Transitions Xtra active is better at what it does than any of the other "xtra" photochromics out there
    +1. For what XTRActive does, it's by far the best. (Assuming you like what it does, which I generally don't.)
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Genuinely can't tell a difference between Sensity Dark and Xtractive...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    Genuinely can't tell a difference between Sensity Dark and Xtractive...
    Thats very cool to hear. I may check one out. Is it available in anything higher index than 1.53?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    In the UK, it's available in 1.5, 1.6 and 1.67.

I should add that I've sold a lot of both products.

Sensity Dark is available in grey brown and green, by the way. Sensity shine is a great product too.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    In the UK, it's available in 1.5, 1.6 and 1.67.

I should add that I've sold a lot of both products.

Sensity Dark is available in grey brown and green, by the way. Sensity shine is a great product too.
    In Italy too.
    So I don't know if the sensity vsp is the same product hoya sells in eu/jp.

sensity use a special spin coat tecnology by hoya it is different from liferx

sensity is a very good product I like the color more than transitions lenses except for the green because I think transitions green become more darker and it is more similar to G15

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dima View Post
    In Italy too.
    So I don't know if the sensity vsp is the same product hoya sells in eu/jp.
    I was wrong about VSP sunsync xt being the same as sensity. Thats right sensity was the spin coat so it could be used with their front side surfacing lenses. I will definitely check it out.

Are defects little to none on it?

(whatever vsp sunsync xt is I can be sure of two things. 1. They absolutely did not come up with the tech on their own and 2. its trash.

Original sunsync is ok though it keeps a residual color, all the other ones they've distributed (elite, xt etc) are trash. They have asked me to test them all.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    I understand.
    honestly I never have an issue with sensity either transitions.
    Sensity green is more emerald green is lighter than the g15 style of transitions.
    sensity brown and grey are more neutral tone than transitions 7 for me. So I like them more.

Thread Information