VSP just bought Visionworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AngeHamm View Post
    If I stop taking VSP next week, I lose about 30% of my patients, so....
    You don't think you will lose your VSP members when they get twice the "benefit" going to VW instead of your store?

Comment

Originally posted by Kwill212 View Post
      You don't think you will lose your VSP members when they get twice the "benefit" going to VW instead of your store?
      Global consolidation continues via the network backs of independents.

Comment

Can someone remind me of their original slogan?

I think it went "By Optometrists for Optometrists".

After a pitch to my Doc's who signed up early on (paper only) I remember one coming in saying how it was going to dominate and destroy over time independent opticals. Dr. Frankenstein created a monster alright.

Comment

I always found their "non-profit" claim to be spurious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VSP_Vision_Care#Non-Profit_Status

Though this recent move is no surprise really either. At some point, the public, and their associated HR departments, *might* realize that quality care =/= "cheap". Maybe not. *shrug*

Comment

Any else notice that if you order a non VSP/Unity product, its taking 3-4 weeks to complete?

Even simple Single Vision finished jobs are taking this long.

I am sooo fed up with VSP and their BS claim that "they" are for the private practices.

They are only receiving VSP Choice jobs from here on out.

Politics or not, they are not here for us.
            Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Comment

VSP has a contact lens channel launching soon as well.
              I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Comment

Originally posted by King of the Lab View Post
                Any else notice that if you order a non VSP/Unity product, its taking 3-4 weeks to complete?

Even simple Single Vision finished jobs are taking this long.

I am sooo fed up with VSP and their BS claim that "they" are for the private practices.

They are only receiving VSP Choice jobs from here on out.

Politics or not, they are not here for us.
                I wonder what would happen if OD's and independent labs nationwide banded together and committed 50 cents of each VSP job to form a professional lobbying group to try to claw back some say in the tsunami that's coming.

Or are too many OD's like opticians and cannot see the forest for the trees thinking money cannot change things?

Comment

Frankly, private OD's are the problem in terms of VSP - not opticians. Independent opticians still can't panel, and the smart ones don't want to anyway. It's a fear driven business model - panel or else loose all these mythical hordes of patients VSP promises to otherwise shove through your front door...blah, blah, blah. Commit or die mentality. And many American ODs eat it up. Talk about feeding the beast. *shrug*

Not saying it's bad, or good, or right, or wrong. That's the simple reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
                    I wonder what would happen if OD's and independent labs nationwide banded together and committed 50 cents of each VSP job to form a professional lobbying group to try to claw back some say in the tsunami that's coming.

Or are too many OD's like opticians and cannot see the forest for the trees thinking money cannot change things?
                    What exactly should they be lobbying for?

Comment

What exactly should they be lobbying for?
                      Maybe this:

And this:

And things like this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisversace/2017/01/17/the-ftc-finally-sees-the-light-on-contact-lenses/#688760896dde

Last edited by Uncle Fester; 07-08-2019, 07:31 AM. Reason: ...

Comment

Trying to lobby against the advancement of technology is a losing proposition IMHO. Regardless, I don't think there is any possible way you are going to get that many ODs to agree on any one direction to spend the funds toward, even if you could squeeze the money out of them. Like Uilleann said, ODs are that continue to support a model(VCPs) that would rather see them out of business, is the problem. I'm sure VSP is very pro tele-health as well. If the ODs haven't seen the light by now, they probably can't be saved.

Comment

I will lose a handful. But we provide knowledge, service, technology, and relationships that VW can't possibly match. I'm very comfortable with the way we are positioned in our business community.

Comment

Trying to lobby against the advancement of technology is a losing proposition IMHO. Regardless, I don't think there is any possible way you are going to get that many ODs to agree on any one direction to spend the funds toward, even if you could squeeze the money out of them. Like Uilleann said, ODs are that continue to support a model(VCPs) that would rather see them out of business, is the problem. I'm sure VSP is very pro tele-health as well. If the ODs haven't seen the light by now, they probably can't be saved.
                            Actually the big money from what I understand is in the medical side which they nibble away at to the Ophthalmologists chagrin.
                            I think they do lobby on a state level but with national healthcare front and center in this election cycle I wonder if they might benefit from a seat at Schumer and Pelosi's table. I'll bet $500,000 to each campaign would get their attention* and a one on one sit down.

*Dangerous Post* I'm on thin ice so be nice in political comments please. Politeness will keep a discussion going. Nasty cynicism will kill this thread fast.
                            Last edited by Uncle Fester; 07-08-2019, 09:32 AM. Reason: tweak...

Comment

Originally posted by AngeHamm View Post
                              I will lose a handful. But we provide knowledge, service, technology, and relationships that VW can't possibly match. I'm very comfortable with the way we are positioned in our business community.
                              Then why do you need VSP? I'm sure your business is fantastic and you do provide all of those things. But, your statements seem contradictory. You will lose 30% of your customers if you stop taking VSP, implying the only reason they are coming to your store is for VSP "discounts". But if they get a far better discount elsewhere, you will only lose a handful. What happened to the 30% that were only there for the discount? Also, getting a better benefit at Vision World vs your store is a best case scenario. More likely, is VSP just slowly drops places that aren't VW as providers.

Comment

Then why do you need VSP? I'm sure your business is fantastic and you do provide all of those things. But, your statements seem contradictory. You will lose 30% of your customers if you stop taking VSP, implying the only reason they are coming to your store is for VSP "discounts". But if they get a far better discount elsewhere, you will only lose a handful. What happened to the 30% that were only there for the discount? Also, getting a better benefit at Vision World vs your store is a best case scenario. More likely, is VSP just slowly drops places that aren't VW as providers.
                                My statement isn't contradictory at all. You are equating "VSP benefit vs. no benefit" with "Private practice VSP benefit vs. VisionWorks VSP benefit." The two things aren't the same.

My old practice down the road dropped Davis Vision a couple years ago. We still take Davis. Guess who's seeing a whole lot of Davis patients who used to be down the road? Ditching VSP because we thing the VisionWorks sky is falling would be precipitous at best, foolish at worst.

Comment

Working...
                                X