Thread: Posture Correction

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Posture Correction

I experience neck spasms as a result of bad posture. Others that have experienced this know what a pain in the neck(no pun intended) it is. I decided to make myself a new pair of shades the other day. My rx is +1.75/+2.75 single vision. I used non aspheric cr-39. I intentionally set my oc lower so as a result, if I wish to maintain the best clarity of vision I have to keep my chin up.
    Has anyone else tried this? Is there a downside?
    I've only walked around with them outside for a few hours but it's really apparent how much my head is now centred in line with my spine.
    I've never seen a dr's script for posture correction or remember reading about it on optiboard. I would assume the eye correction would have to be powerful enough to invoke actual head movement .
    Looking forward to responses.

Bad address email on file

interesting

I think you're right in that I've never read anything about this on Optiboard either. But, what an interesting subject you have brought up. I'll be following this thread to see what others have to say about it. ...If you're bothered by further pain, don't worry, keep your chin up. Mike.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Chin Up:cheers:

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Thumbs up

Sounds like a good idea...;)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We have a doctor that prescribes base down prism OU so his patient needs to keep their chin up. When I asked why I was told it helps patients with poor self esteem. It seems these people would walk around looking at the floor, with the glasses on they are required to look up.
    I'm not insinuating you fall into this category, but the "chin up" idea is the same.
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    jofelk said:
    When I asked why I was told it helps patients with poor self esteem.
    So the doctor is also practising psychology? Gee, the patients can get two doc visits for the price of one?? ;) :D

I suppose you cold get the same benefit by wearing half glasses. I have heard occassionally of using base down prisms in both eyes - but they would be heavy and give some chromatic aberation if not carefully prescribed. Its an old idea actually. I think you've hit on a really neat idea EdKendance - I may try it for people - but wouldnot it be better to use aspheric lenses - whih would blur more if you viewed through the periphery? - Palfi

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Geeze:

EdKEN:

You may have hit on an optical equilivant of the BATES METHOD (See Clearly Method) for us. We can get an actress to advertize and claim it cures bad posture (although no studies have been done) osteophorosis (although no studies have been done) and a world of other afflictions. We can price this at "Only" $ 279 over what the glasses would have cost without these wonderfull features.

Chip:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

EdKEN:

Do you think that a person with an O.U. Rx or no more than .50 Difference would be as inclined to try to look through the O.c.'s as much as you are?

Yoked prisim has been used as visual aids for people with posture challenges, one such being a wheelchair bound person who must always look upwards for things. The extreem is the bed reader that give a 90 degree change in the visual path.

On could always move such a person into traditional poly and put the centers ("create prism") where you wish them to look when the posture is correct. We may have discovered a theraputic use for poly! I can now see the "Chips Method" going to $375 or more.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Well folks, I'm glad this idea has generated some posts. Way more then my idea for custom polarized axis orientation for people who naturally lean their head to one side or the other. On second thought, maybe orienting at the 180 can correct the head tilt thing as well :)

Chip, about the Bates method. Maybe my scruples are preventing me from raking in the cash. It's way too bad that Marty Feldman didn't live long enough to benefit from this. Wait a second...computers! ;) We could still use him as the spokesperson!

Homer, I mentioned in my post that the correction would have to be signifigant enough to induce the effect. Thanks for the info on Yoked prism though. BTW I heard that "Extreem Bed Reading" is going to be in the next Olympics:D

OK, way too many smilies, I look forward to hopefully new posts. BTW, my necks still sore. Chip, we "have" to offer a money back guarantee.:hammer:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now that you mention bed reading there used to be (and maybe still is) a product called prism or bed spec's . Made to lie in bed and view T.V. I think, or possibly for persons in iron lung (ancient devise for those afflicted with polio and unable to breath without mechanical help) to read. I had almost forgotten this product.

Chip

Hey Chip, I think you can still get Bed Spex from Franel!

BTW my husband can't wear his progressives while watching TV lying on the living room floor. He wears his old SV Rx for floor-TV. I told him maybe we should put the TV near the ceiling, but maybe I can give him some prism instead! Does HIPAA have any rules on experimenting on family members lol?!?:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

joy

My dentist has has A TV hung from the celing with the screen facing the floor. So while he is doin' what ever he's doing I can watch a movie or National Geographic doncumetary - better than gas!

So, maybe you need that TV on an adjustable arm or make him a pair of bifocals with the add on top for reading the TV guide.

HIPAA has less to do with any experiements you might do with the eyeglasses and much more to do the the intimate things you my do or say while on the floor with your husband. :bbg:

Thanks, Homer, but it was all I could do to get him into progressives in the first place, and besides, he doesn't read the TV guide, he just scrolls the onscreen menu or channelsurfs anyway!

Joy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Joy ....

Men! Do you really expect more?

And the bad part is, we think this is perfectly normal!

:cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The term "yoked" prism got me interested in what the definition of Yoked means. After searches galore I'm more confused then ever. Homer, perhaps you can give me an answer. My search did lead me to several interesting pages on the uses of Yoked prism in people recovering from neuro surgeries etc... Really intertesting subject

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yoked prism is prism that moves both lines of sight in the same direction. Example: bed readers which if worn while standing and looking forward would allow you to see your feet. That is an extreem example.

Less extreem might be to aid in the direction of the line of sight upwards for someone who is unable to walk completely upright, giving them a more accurate, clear vision of things directly foward ..... and so on.

This is quite different from theraputic prism which is usually administered to bring divergent lines of sight into alignment.

does that help?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks Homer!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How much pism are we talking about?

How do we calculate it?

Lets say we need to move the object 90 degrees?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The formula is that 1 prism diopter will displace the line of sight 1CM at the distance of one meter (of course this means that the object distance will effect the preceived displacement)

I think the angle of the prisms on a bed reader (bending 90 degrees) is about 45 degrees, however this is not the same as 45 prism Diopters. Someone is sure to know the relationship between Degrees of angle and prism diopters.

Thread Information