Thread: The difference between 2 above and 4 above progressive lenses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The difference between 2 above and 4 above progressive lenses

My understanding is that a 2 above 180 progressive design would get the patient into the reading area faster. Is this correct? (Which would then mean that a 4 above would give a longer intermediate zone....)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not necessarily.

Generally speaking, the 4mm drop lens will not give a longer intermediate area. However, if you are directly comparing two lenses (one at 2mm drop and one at 4mm drop) in the exact same frame that are variable length, then yes the 4mm drop will have a longer intermediate area in only that specific circumstance.

It's still best to think of the functional difference between these lenses using the distance fitting cross as a reference point, and understanding that the corridor drop is the point below the distance fitting cross where the power starts to change.

I hope this makes sense.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DClair View Post
    My understanding is that a 2 above 180 progressive design would get the patient into the reading area faster. Is this correct? (Which would then mean that a 4 above would give a longer intermediate zone....)
    Where the change starts, the rate of change, and corridor length are all independent of the drop. There are short corridor 4mm drops, and long corridors with 2mm drops.

Wear the lens (yourself and/or on another subject) to determine how the design performs.

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Where the change starts, the rate of change, and corridor length are all independent of the drop.
    I thought this was the very definition of a corridor drop. Have I been educated incorrectly?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by DClair View Post
    IMHO 2 drops started when frames started getting smaller and narrower. This allowed them to say that what used to be a 18mm minimum fitting height
    could now be used at 16 high. Sorta like marketing 101. Package says NEW read the fine print and it says packaging.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bretk0923 View Post
    I thought this was the very definition of a corridor drop. Have I been educated incorrectly?
    With segmented bifocals, the drop is the distance from the 180 line to the top of the seg. I don't know the history of its use with PALs, but it is equal to the distance from the FC to the PRP/180 line. See...

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...sive-Lens-Drop

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    IMHO 2 drops started when frames started getting smaller and narrower. This allowed them to say that what used to be a 18mm minimum fitting height
    could now be used at 16 high. Sorta like marketing 101. Package says NEW read the fine print and it says packaging.
    It's called the business. Or more accurately, the funny business.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Thanks so much for linking to this post, it provides a lot of clarification. It seems I (like many) have been using the term and assuming that it has serious implications on optical quality, when that is not the case at all, unless the patient in question is sensitive to vertical prism at near. For anyone else seeking clarification on this matter, read Darryl Meister's comment on the thread at the bottom.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bretk0923 View Post
    Thanks so much for linking to this post, it provides a lot of clarification. It seems I (like many) have been using the term and assuming that it has serious implications on optical quality, when that is not the case at all, unless the patient in question is sensitive to vertical prism at near. For anyone else seeking clarification on this matter, read Darryl Meister's comment on the thread at the bottom.
    Your welcome. I checked my blue bible but the only reference to drop is for segment drop related to segmented multifocals. Surprising because that info is needed for a proper troubleshoot.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    Remember when the Comfort used to be minimum fit height of 22 turned into 18mm in the 90's(?) when big frames got narrower.

When Essilor declared the Comfort could now be fit at 18 minimum several guru's eventually found that the "new" design was actually the same one but that 85% of the full add power was close enough so to speak.

The Comfort Short came along not too long after with a real redesign of corridor length- but adjustments had to be made which affected the feel of the lens. Some patients readily adjusted some not.

This is where I believe the seidel aberrations come into play in our 2 story sandbox that needs to have a 4 story structure.

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...andbox+analogy

Post #8

Seidel Aberrations:

http://www.quadibloc.com/science/opt0505.htm
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 06-10-2019 at 02:09 PM. Reason: tweak...

Thread Information