Thread: Fl-41

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Fl-41

Helooo. Wow, I have not been on here in ages. Hope everyone is well.

I would like to get some information about FL-41 so that I have a better understanding about what it is for. Is there anyone out there that wants to education me or direct me to some awesome information about it?

Also, are there different frequencies that are recommended for certain things?

Are there different brands of FL-41 or is BPI the product to ask for when ordering?

Thank You,
    Michelle

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    Helooo. Wow, I have not been on here in ages. Hope everyone is well.

I would like to get some information about FL-41 so that I have a better understanding about what it is for. Is there anyone out there that wants to education me or direct me to some awesome information about it?

Also, are there different frequencies that are recommended for certain things?

Are there different brands of FL-41 or is BPI the product to ask for when ordering?

Thank You,
    Michelle
    Hi Michelle,

I'm filling RXs for FL-41 tints, typically combined with task eyeglasses, usually for computer monitors. Results vary, but most are experiencing some degree of relief.

However, many of these folks come to me with poorly made and designed eyeglasses obtained through internet vendors, commercial outlets, and occasionally from private offices, so it's hard to say how much of the improvement is due strictly to the tint. Because of the above, I would avoid clipons and fitovers, and recommend dyed lenses with an antireflection coating.

Fortunately, there's recent clinically evidence that supports the the use of special tints to help with migraine headaches.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26935748

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sadly, the VAST majority of docs completely fail to do ANY form of exploratory situational testing, to determine what, if any, effect a given tint will have for a particular patient, in a specific lighting and visual task scenario. The FL-41 tint was developed in the late 80's and early 90's, when green hued harsh fluorescent lighting, and old flickering CRT computer monitors were the office norm. Today's office lighting and certainly monitor technology couldn't be more different. But the tint has stayed the same.

Additionally, without proper in-office, or environmental testing, there is no way for any doctor to properly prescribe either a proper tint, OR it's density - which is as important as the wavelengths the tint is designed to attenuate - in order to achieve any effective positive outcome whatsoever. If you receive and Rx for the tint without a corresponding density, it was a wild guess on the part of the prescriber, and more likely than not, wasn't ever actually tested on the patient before the script was written.

This sets you up for almost certain failure as a dispenser, if any true medical benefit is sought by the pt. Frequently, pts dislike the color in the finished lenses, even after viewing a sample in office. In addition, it is common to see the density come back far darker than what the pt expects, requiring a remake - sometimes to eliminate the tint entirely.

There are limited cases where perhaps proper testing is actually performed prior to the Rx being written, but they are exceedingly rare. I dispense less than 5 miles away from where it was originally developed, and I don't think I've ever seen it even here. Hopefully, your experience, and that of your patients, is more positive. Best of luck.

Thread Information