Thread: Question about Mirror tinting

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question about Mirror tinting

So I ordered a pair of suns for a personal pair with mirror tinting. But the coating itself looks more like a flash mirror than a solid mirror. I'm around a -7.00 OU, would this affect the opacity of the mirrored effect? You can still see my eyes relatively easily through the coat, and I was banking on it being more or less a "70s traffic cop" look. Only personal experience I have with mirrored effects in my Rx is a pair that is specifically a flash coating, so I'm not certain if this is the wrong mirror effect, or working as unintended.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Who did you get the lenses from and what did they say when you asked them about this?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Walman Toledo. They evidently farm out the mirror tinting jobs, or at least they did my 1.67 SV. I sent them back for eval once, lab rep found it was a Flash Mirror effect applied at the sub-contractor instead of the solid high reflection mirror I was anticipating. Second set of lenses came back identical, so I figured I'd check to see if the high Rx is impacting the finish before sending them back a second time

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by juno View Post
    Walman Toledo. They evidently farm out the mirror tinting jobs, or at least they did my 1.67 SV. I sent them back for eval once, lab rep found it was a Flash Mirror effect applied at the sub-contractor instead of the solid high reflection mirror I was anticipating. Second set of lenses came back identical, so I figured I'd check to see if the high Rx is impacting the finish before sending them back a second time
    what color and density was the lens tinted as? the mirror effect is more apparent on a darker tint. Otherwise even a full mirror will look transparent if the color base is too light. Also did you fully clean the surface of the lens? The anti-slip coat sometimes interferes with the reflective finish.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Blue mirror on a polarized dark gray. Cleaned lens again, it just doesn't look as mirror opaque as a similar blue mirror (non-polarized) demo lens. Again, though, I have a high Rx, and the demo lens is just dummy plastic. Not sure if the thickness of my lens itself is interfering with the reflection properties in this regard. I don't overly know why it would, but I'm not necessarily ruling it out. I couldn't find anything about this w/ a google search, my doctor wasn't able to answer adequately, nor the other opticians in my office, which is why I figured I'd ask a board with a lot more length and breadth of experience in this matter.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    can you post a pic of it?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Top is what I thought I was getting, bottom is what I actually got: edit: oh, cool, (img) bbcode doesn't work. welp, links as follow, I guess: Front on view, With some light on them Double edit: I have no idea why return isn't inserting line breaks for this post

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    wow... that is really off. definitely doesn't look like a full mirror. Looks like the bevel has cut into the polarization film too? call the lab up and tell them that ain't right.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Definitely wrong

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, thanks for the confirmation. The only patient I've had with a high Rx that wanted a mirror coating has been... myself. Glad I'm not imagining things

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Send in your demo with your pair so there is no confusion on the lab's part. Definite remake though. And no - the Rx has nothing to do with mirror reflex or density on a polar blank whatsoever.

Thread Information