Thread: Does lens cleaner w/ Isopropyl alcohol damage Blue Light, AR or Polarized lens?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Does lens cleaner w/ Isopropyl alcohol damage Blue Light, AR or Polarized lens?

Hi, folks:

Does lens spray cleaner that contains isopropyl alcohol do any harm on AR, blue-light coating and Polarized lens?

It's a biodegradable solution.

Thanks in advance.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Never seen it happen, but one of many theories is that alcohol will "dry up" the AR coating. Not a very helpful answer, because I haven't found any facts to back it up.
    Also interested in the answer though, has anyone noticed any effects from long term use of these cleaners?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeped View Post
    Never seen it happen, but one of many theories is that alcohol will "dry up" the AR coating. Not a very helpful answer, because I haven't found any facts to back it up.
    Also interested in the answer though, has anyone noticed any effects from long term use of these cleaners?
    Not alcohol but high concentrations of ammonia over long periods may.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I recommend people use alcohol only occasionally, not for the lenses but for the frame materials that may dry out.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeped View Post
    That's a solid answer, thanks for the reply.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I recommend people use alcohol only occasionally, not for the lenses but for the frame materials that may dry out.
    So it's best that we use the alcohol-free AR lens cleaner instead of the ones come with alcohol?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by plumpfacelad View Post
    So it's best that we use the alcohol-free AR lens cleaner instead of the ones come with alcohol?
    It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I use alcohol for the final cleaning of every lens that leaves my lab to make sure the AR slick coat is evenly removed. Using alcohol once or twice in the lab process is one thing; you want to discourage your patients from using alcohol every time​ they clean their glasses.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I use alcohol for the final cleaning of every lens that leaves my lab to make sure the AR slick coat is evenly removed. Using alcohol once or twice in the lab process is one thing; you want to discourage your patients from using alcohol every time​ they clean their glasses.
    Yes, that makes sense.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by don gilman View Post
    not alcohol but high concentrations of ammonia over long periods may.
    i c.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I just recommend against IPA if at all possible. I have had it eat a frame once (literally, into pieces in my hands). It gave me PTSD regarding IPA.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by plumpfacelad View Post
    Hi, folks:

Does lens spray cleaner that contains isopropyl alcohol do any harm on AR, blue-light coating and Polarized lens?

It's a biodegradable solution.

Thanks in advance.
    It would depend on the concentration. Cleaning AR coating with isopropyl alcohol based cleaners can degrade the hydrophobic or oleophobic layer's bond to the subsequent SiO2 layer over time. Soap (Dawn dish soap) and water is always your best option.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by thinfilmhelp View Post
    It would depend on the concentration. Cleaning AR coating with isopropyl alcohol based cleaners can degrade the hydrophobic or oleophobic layer's bond to the subsequent SiO2 layer over time. Soap (Dawn dish soap) and water is always your best option.
    dish soap? I think it have too high pH and that can damage the Ar

Many lens cleaner have Ipa in low concentration I think it is safer...or go to with hand soap

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is a good question and coincidentally came up at a good time. I have found that some cleaning wipes have a lot of alcohol in them and can ruin the finish on zyl frames. I have also heard, but don't know for a fact, that over time alcohol can erode the AR coatings. Therefore I have not recommended them to my patients. I tell them to be very careful with them and to use very sparingly. That being said, I just got a sample of cleaner from Caloptix and it is in a great bottle and works well but has a stong alcohol smell. Not sure if that is bad or not. I guess I'll have to have my lab check it out?

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    My advice- discussed with peers- is to use water or a lens approved SPRAY regularly,

Dawn dish soap for build up on lenses,

and premoistened wipes (containing alcohol) when traveling/ sparingly.

I've been taught that alcohol used regularly will damage coatings, especially cheaper ones, though I agree with AngeHamm that it is more important for the integrity of the frame.

The obvious advice of mircofiber or cotton and not paper products always follows.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    This is a good question and coincidentally came up at a good time. I have found that some cleaning wipes have a lot of alcohol in them and can ruin the finish on zyl frames. I have also heard, but don't know for a fact, that over time alcohol can erode the AR coatings. Therefore I have not recommended them to my patients. I tell them to be very careful with them and to use very sparingly. That being said, I just got a sample of cleaner from Caloptix and it is in a great bottle and works well but has a stong alcohol smell. Not sure if that is bad or not. I guess I'll have to have my lab check it out?
    When I got the original Reflection Free AR in 1990, I hated it so much that I removed it by simply soaking the lenses in alcohol for about 15 minutes. But I don't think you need to worry about that with new ARs.

Thread Information