Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: POF/COF question/poll

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    A few years ago a young boy came in with a deep gouge in the middle of his polycarbonate lenses. He had hit the corner of a glass table. It gave me the chills, because if not for the glasses, he most likely would have lost his eye. I 100% will not put non-safety lenses in a safety frame. I won't put kids under 18 in anything except polycarbonate.
    Yup. Or Trivex. Very, very occasionally I'll put a teen with a very high RX in 1.67.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Randle Tibbs, ABOM View Post
    Very interesting, you are always quick to chime in but nothing to offer but sarcasm!
    The fact still remains that you stated your "belief" without any facts and want it to be followed. Does not work that way with all of us.
    I have been looking for what you say about safety frames and have yet to find it in writing with OSHA. It is something that I have not thought of and if you know where we can find that please share. Yes we all know about the side shields but we are speaking of removing the Z87 stamp as Robert Martellaro stated.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You may not alter a safety frame, and have it meet Z87 standards. Removing a stamp disqualifies it as a safety frame , it's still a frame!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    You may not alter a safety frame, and have it meet Z87 standards. Removing a stamp disqualifies it as a safety frame , it's still a frame!
    Absolutely agree with you 100% CME4SPECS. Removing the stamp will disqualify the frame as a OSHA safety frame and no one should use it as such.
    But after the stamp in removed, may the patient use, and will someone put lenses into this former Z87 safety frame?
    Furthermore if someone brings in a frame that is void of all markings and we put lenses into it whats the difference? We have no idea it was a Z87 frame.
    After all take care of your patient. If the frame is marked as safety put safety lenses into it. If it has no safety markings on it put dress lenses into it.
    Next question would YOU remove the markings to put dress lenses into it?

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've noticed many patients wear their "dress glasses" on their motorcycle, mowing the lawn, working in the shop, shooting guns, etc. Somewhere in this conversation comes the "duty to warn" topic. I find many people should be wearing safety glasses more not less.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Randle Tibbs, ABOM View Post
    Robert,
    Not sure if you are injecting sarcasm concerning filing away the Z87 designation. If not, and you are referring to safety frames, I do not believe safety frames can be altered in any fashion.
    Hi Randle,

My middle-of-the-road libertarianism explains the hint of sarcasm, but I'm serious about the subject, that is, it's acceptable practice to remove the Z87 designation as long as dress only lenses are inserted. My basis for that statement comes from a second hand explanation from Daniel Torgersen when he was with Walman Optical, who was also chairman of the Z87 committee at the time.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information