Thread: Florida Licensure Question

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Question

A friend from Tennessee called me with some questions about her friend's chances of procuring a Florida Optician's License.

It seems this young lady has an active Tennessee license- but hasn't been in the workforce for the last three years (been a "stay-at-home" mom during that time). Prior to getting her license in Tennessee, she had attended a formal opticianry program- but she had a bad car accident a month or two before graduation and never finished up the program.

She has moved to Florida and has been told by several prospective employers that she would have to go through a full apprenticeship. Is this correct?

Thanks for the info,
    Pete

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hi Pete,

Your friend may petition the board based on her prior license in TN. The requirements are:
    proof of 3 years in a licensed state
    proof of 5 years in an unlicensed state
    proof of 2 year opticianry degree (from a COA accredited program)
    proof of 3 years apprenticeship in Florida

Any one of the above items, along with the ABO and NCLE allow one to sit for the Florida boards.

She may be able to quickly finish up the course(s) from school and go the degree route since she is so close.(my biased opinion) : )

How many years did she work as a licensed optician in TN prior to becoming a stay at home mom?

Laurie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tell that to the out of state opticians who met the "requirements" and were still denied the ability to sit for the exam because of some BS reason that the Board of Opticianry can cook up to find more ways to get you to apprentice and suck even more money out of you!

In my biased opinion!

OptiBoard Apprentice

Anybody know the status on the De-Regulation of FL licensure?? What's the latest???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have had two e-mails from Jeb's office on the matter along with other issues that concern the States Attorney, DPR and DOH.

Nothing new,YET. But he is still leaning towards de-regulation.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Okay, additional info on the young lady who wants to get her Florida license.

She practiced Opticianry in Tennessee for 8 years as a Licensed Optician. She was enrolled in the Opticianry program at Southern College of Optometry and was two months from graduation when she had a near fatal car accident. She is still current with her ABOC/NCLE certs and is residing in Gainesville, FL.

Seems to me that she has practiced for three years as a LDO, however, those years did not fall in the immediate past five years. As I understand the unlicensed state requirement (which I used to take the boards), you have to have been working as an Optician during the immediate five years before coming to Florida. Is that true for Licensed Opticians as well?

Thanks,
    Pete

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Pete, Let me give you a number 1-888-310-4650 and speak to Melody Spitznas(I am not sure how it is spelled)She is the woman who can answer all those questions and she is super great. Of course the phone will prompt you to hit in a series of numbers for different things so it is a little crazy. Once you get her on the phone though she'll be able to tell you anything you need to know. Or if you leave her a message she will definately call back always does. I am sure Jenny has dealt with Melody. She is always so helpful as is Jenny. I certainly hope this helps you Pete.
    Have a great day!!
    Steph

Thread Information