Thread: Magnification of one eye

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Magnification of one eye

Recently found out our toddler is severely long-sighted in just one eye at +8 dioptres. Other eye is fine.

We've found decent glasses that fit well and suit his face (Tomato Glasses), and we've gone for a thinned lens... But it's impossible to ignore the fact that one of his eyes looks very magnified.
    He has a lovely handsome symmetrical face, and then he puts the glasses on and it just looks... wonky. It completely changes his face.

We're still a few years away from contact lenses being an option.

Is there ANYTHING that can be done until then to try and reduce this magnification effect?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did you use an aspheric lens?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GAgirl View Post
    Did you use an aspheric lens?
    The optician should have already done this, discuss with the optician regarding decentration and aspheric lenses. Unfortunately a lot is physics. You'll always have asymmetry because that the difference in Rx.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are posting outside of our guidelines so I think this thread will be locked shortly but as has already been stated an aspheric lens will for now be the only option.

I expect a lot more info is needed but I'd love to see a doc with pediatric experience chime in with my thought that this toddler is probably going to be monocular.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    You are posting outside of our guidelines so I think this thread will be locked shortly
    I know... sorry about that. The only eyecare forums I found that are open to non-professionals are basically dead.

I'll speak with the optician about aspheric lenses, it's not something they mentioned so I'm not sure.

He has been seeing a paediatric ophthalmologist and orthoptist regarding amblyopia (which is currently improving with the glasses/patches thankfully). Obviously the amblyopia is the much bigger concern right now, but I wanted to know if there are any options to reduce the wonky-face effect for when he start school in a couple of years.
    I'll speak with them about monocular vision - again, it's not something that has been mentioned before.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just hang in there. He'll be just fine. He'll be in a contact lens in no time. You love your kid and want the best...no harm there.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wore +5.00 one eye and plano in the other growing up. I also sported an eye patch. I was teased endlessly. I remember my one big eye being brought up quite a bit. Luckily my father got hired by my first eye doctor and in short time I was put in a contact lens. My dad got the job of putting in and removing my contact when I was age 7. The struggle was real. Now as an adult I find being teased as a child has made me a more empathetic person. Along with the aspheric lenses , I highly recommend Anti-glare coating. It helps mask the look of the magnification.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Thread Information