Thread: 3D printed lenses.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

3D printed lenses.

How many years until frames and lenses will be printed as one unit? I'm thinking 6 years. What's your guess?

www.luxexcel.com/video-gallery

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm 55, I'll be out of the industry before it becomes the standard industry method of production. Currently, too slow.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Lens + Frame is too limiting. Unless the lenses can be removed. Your frame is damaged but you can't put the lenses in a replacement frame? That sucks. Damage the lenses and/or like the frame, can't put new lenses in it? That also sucks. I just don't see that idea going very far, unless you can remove the lenses.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    Lens + Frame is too limiting. Unless the lenses can be removed. Your frame is damaged but you can't put the lenses in a replacement frame? That sucks. Damage the lenses and/or like the frame, can't put new lenses in it? That also sucks. I just don't see that idea going very far, unless you can remove the lenses.
    How about the whole product is so inexpensive that you just order a 2 pack from the 3D printer store? They(printer store) already have a 3D scan of your head that produces a perfect fitting pair of frames. Or, customers that can afford new glasses and would never think of reusing a frame? Think of the possibilities for shapes to suit a job, sport, Rx, odd head. I never thought I would see self driving cars and contacts with transitions!
    Last edited by haliopt; 04-19-2019 at 01:21 AM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree, Oscar but, wifi was pretty slow not that long ago. And soon 5G! Not only fast, but will change everything.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The myopia, strabismus, accommodation genes are waiting to be identified and modified by Kendall Square genetic start ups while M.I.T. goes after the more lucrative contact lens that can live on your cornea but will need to be replaced every now and then so the money train keeps on a rolling.

Be careful what you wish for with A.I..
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-19-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by haliopt View Post
    How about the whole product is so inexpensive that you just order a 2 pack from the 3D printer store? They(printer store) already have a 3D scan of your head that produces a perfect fitting pair of frames. Or, customers that can afford new glasses and would never think of reusing a frame? Think of the possibilities for shapes to suit a job, sport, Rx, odd head. I never thought I would see self driving cars and contacts with transitions!
    In this case, I can see it. But, they would have to be as inexpensive as you are thinking.

(Of course, we are almost at that point as it is. I know people that get glasses online that they consider "great" for $20, and now own about 10 pairs, one for just about every occasion of which you can think and if they break after a year they just say "Eh, I'll just order another pair")

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Great information

Thread Information