Thread: Frame adjustment

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Frame adjustment

Hi All, Is anyone else hating adjusting flat temples? They always turn in to the persons head. Anyone have any tricks??

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Are you referring to a Library type temple or perhaps better known as an Oakley temple?
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    i think you are referring to the ones where the tips are flat vertically like bending a pd ruler along the hash marks. There isn't much give and once you do manage to bend it either curls in or stresses the other side too much. I have this problem as well and absolutely hate it. I hope others have tips

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I suspect this is the future of metal frames.

I think we are rapidly seeing manufactures make a metal frames components from sheet stock steel (nothing wrong with that) precision cut by water jet then mostly robotic welded, painted and when possible assembled with minimal need for human hands.

The temple tip therefore cannot be rounded so an optician can adjust them.

But the opticians skills are morphing into someone who only needs to sell- but not fit- frames. Yesterday's burger flipper can now be an optician today with these minimal to no adjustment temples.

But like everything a niche for quality temples will always exist imo.

Who knows though. Maybe this will go the way of those stupid, gimmicky, "spring" nose pad arms that gave the public nothing but problems a while ago but I haven't seen for a long time now.

Or did we stop buying them en-mass?

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I noticed some Rayban frames with flat carbon fiber temples that cannot be adjusted at all. Terrible design.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Why do you have these frames in your shop?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a few flexon that are like that. I didn't realize they were like that because the temple tip hid it. Found out the hard way. I find that if you give them more heat it helps. I also kinda pull out while pulling down. Hard to explain, but sometimes that helps. Still not ideal. More times than not, they turn in on you. For those, it's best to make sure the temple length fits well to start with.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Camblor View Post
    I noticed some Rayban frames with flat carbon fiber temples that cannot be adjusted at all. Terrible design.
    I'm not a huge Ray-Ban fan but some of my favorites are the ones with the carbon fiber temples. They look really sharp and hold their adjustment really well. You're right, they cannot be adjusted but if selected properly they just plain FIT and never need an adjustment which I like a lot. I'm just VERY careful when selling those frames to explain that they CANNOT be adjusted... I explain that "If they fit you well, you'll be really happy with them" and "If they don't fit you well just the way they are you must avoid them and pick something else"....

A 'cautionary tale' and all that nonsense... Your mileage may vary.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have gotten good at adjusting the sport wrap. Many times when nothing else will work it is the ticket. It does take practice but I like them so much I wrap most of my own. The trick is to identify where the top of the ear is, same as with any temple. the first GENTLE bend goes here, the next gentle bend at the end and then start working the tinest gentle bending to shape them up. They should not look like a device used to carry a block of ice. they still contour and mostly wrap at the back to hold on. They can fix and hang on very well if this is done right. if you have a pair of glasses where the temple is too long and nothing else works or trimming isn't a good option, try reconstructing as a wrap. (or try practicing on some dummy pairs first of course and try them on yourself) Its not as bad as it sounds once you get the hang of it. Just don't wrap too hard too soon or you get the block of ice carrying effect. The stronger bend is in back--gently!

Thread Information