Thread: The resurgence of metal frames

Occupation
    Optometrist

The resurgence of metal frames

I knew it would come.

I thought it would cause trouble for onliner opticals who source plastic constructed so cheaply that OTC readers and gas-station sunglasses look robust in comparison. That the onliners could only supply the chintz-iest looking of metal frames.

Well, now I'm seeing a new fashion trend amongst the youth of our country: chintzy-looking metal frames!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Personally, I have to use a metal frame. I always need to have the temples bent outward. If I use a frame that doesn't touch the side of my head but does touch right on-ear (like a frame should), they are way too big for my face. Apparently my head is mildly football shaped... (narrower in the front and back and slightly larger in the middle). So, I've been out of fashion for awhile now. Not that I care, it just made frame selection limited, which caused me mild annoyance. Luckily the higher-end brands were still making solid frames that were metal.

Good luck to the people getting chintzy metal frames online. I guarantee they will break/lose color/tarnish in 6 months time, or be found to be made out of hazardous materials like lead and cadmium.

And, then, of course, they will come crying to their local optical asking for them to be repaired, which will be impossible, given the awful construction and cheap materials they are made of, and then they will indignantly state that you just don't want to help them, and are only interested in selling them "overpriced" replacements. Rinse and repeat.
    Last edited by Lelarep; 03-20-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    Personally, I have to use a metal frame. I always need to have the temples bent outward. If I use a frame that doesn't touch the side of my head but does touch right on-ear (like a frame should), they are way too big for my face. Apparently my head is mildly football shaped... (narrower in the front and back and slightly larger in the middle). So, I've been out of fashion for awhile now. Not that I care, it just made frame selection limited, which caused me mild annoyance. Luckily the higher-end brands were still making solid frames that were metal.
    I don't understand how this necessitates a metal frame at all, care to elaborate?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I don't understand how this necessitates a metal frame at all, care to elaborate?
    Trying to get a plastic frame acceptably eccentric is nearly a herculean task (and has destroyed at least one frame)
    Last edited by Lelarep; 03-20-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    Trying to get a plastic frame acceptably eccentric is nearly a herculean task (and has destroyed at least one frame)
    Are we talking about cellulose acetate frames here? Because I still don't get why that couldn't be adjusted correctly. I've never looked at a patients head and said to myself, "this person can only wear metal frames."

Thread Information