Thread: Is the economy really THAT bad???

Bad address email on file

Is the economy really THAT bad???

Folks, is it just our drawing area, or is it like this all over?

We had a lady today who wanted prescription sunglasses. She selected the lowest priced frame we had, which is OK because we have them on hand for people like her who don't want to spend alot on sunglasses. But what takes the cake is, when she found out that her bill included a charge for prism, she asked if we could leave the prism out of the lenses so she could save the money.

Honestly, I could not believe my ears. She will spend more on going out to dinner this weekend than she will spend on the prism.

And no, we did not drop the prism since it is necessary to her prescription.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Of course ....

that is just your professional opinion, not her's .... and she is paying the bill. Let her have the non-prismatic Rx, for god's sake, and she will see both bills and pay double!

Some people just don't want all those visual enhancements. Stick to the basics; give her planoes and charge her for the professional services that she demands.:)

Life is great fun, isn't it? and the economy is that bad! When we figure out who wins the war, we will have a kinder, gentler, more trusing clientele. Until then, prepare for the worst.

:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We were busy up until about two weeks ago. This week and most of last week have been horrible. I don't know if it is due to the economy or the fact that winter doesn't seem to want to let go in our area. I am sure we won't be busy with ice storms coming in tonight.

On the other hand, I had an older woman tell me she just went out to buy a new car because you couldn't get new cars for five years after World War II. Perhaps it is a generational issue?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been very busy lately...almost too busy....but, of course, I'm not complaining. March was my biggest month in the past 8 months (with the exception of October...which for some strange reason was really GREAT). April is starting out the same...busy!
    It seems to me that my customers are breathing a sigh of relief...happy that "something" is finally happening. It seems they've been holding their breath since 9/11...I feel that way too.

Anyway, today is an "ice storm" day in upstate New York and it's supposed to get worse. I will be surprised if many people walk through my doors today...it will be a good day to get paperwork done!

By the way...regarding business...I am hearing from a lot of my customers that their businesses (whether their own small business or as an employee of a large company) are starting to see more activity as well. One customer was ready to close his doors six months ago and I saw him a week or two ago...he said his business is GREAT...he may be hiring someone to help out with the increase in business. That's all good news to me.

Take Care~
    hip chic

Thread Information