Thread: NCLE and portability for ABO/NCLE within the US

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

NCLE and portability for ABO/NCLE within the US

I’ve been an optician for 10+ and worked for manufacturers for 10+, so I’m slightly over 40.. I’m gonna to take the NCLE test and subscribed to quizlet to study. Does anybody on here have a set of questions uploaded to quizlet I can look up? Also, once I get my NCLE, have had my ABO since 2006, I want to know which states I could move to that would allow me to become certified in their state and what that might entail. I’m looking ahead about 3-5 years before moving so I’m just trying to get an idea of where I might have the most opportunity, affordability and quality of life. I love being an optician...most days! Lol I’ve lived in TX all my adult life, but I want to move somewhere with more seasons, without extremely brutal winters, if that helps! I’m also thinking about just buying an RV and being a traveling optician, anybody heard of this? I want to make the world a better place, love finding the perfect eyewear solutions for people , but also travel and Opticianry is what I have the most experience in. My last kiddo will graduate in a few years so I’m just trying to get some ideas! Thank you in advance!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The ABO/NCLE is a national certification, and not specific to Texas. It is recognized in every state, but keep in mind it is voluntary as are most certifications. There are 21 states that require a license to practice that can be found on the Opticians Association of America site, the National Academy of Opticianry site, and the ABO/NCLE site. You would have to jump through many hoops before getting a license in any of those states. You can see the requirements of each state on the websites of the aforementioned organizations. There are several outstanding textbooks available with questions to help prepare you. The primary text I recommend if the CLSA Manual Volume 1 for the basic NCLE. Good luck!

Thread Information