How Much of Lab Processing has moved outside of USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much of Lab Processing has moved outside of USA

It been quite a while since I last actively work in the eyecare industry.

Since then it seems alot of lab processing has been moved to Mexico and beyond. Does anyone have an idea as how large the percentage is??

Originally posted by Usaexec View Post

It been quite a while since I last actively work in the eyecare industry.

Since then it seems alot of lab processing has been moved to Mexico and beyond. Does anyone have an idea as how large the percentage is??
    Do some research on optiBoard and you will find a lot of them have been purchased by ESSILOR and moved, closed and whatever made them disappear.

The large optical manufacturers have now central labs in the Orient besides Mexico and serve the world market out of there.

Comment

Thanks Chris,

Back when I helped open Hoya Lens of Amerrica, Essilor was buying labs like crazy and I built Hoya's Lab in Bethel and we bought 14 more nationwide before I left.

A few year later when I got a new set of 1.71's Hoya had moved 1.71 processing back to Thialand.

In my new postion with the federal government one of my factories has an optical lab. I can do non-government work as long as it keeps work from moving offshore or brings it back. So I am starting to reseach potential market size etc..

Thanks for the input.

Pat

Comment

Working...
      X