Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essilor vs. Hoya

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Essilor vs. Hoya

Hi all,

We’ve been with Essilor for years but recently consider to go with Hoya for Hi-index lens. Please be kind to give us your suggestions.

What’s the best option for 1st time PAL users and what lens type will you recommend?

If the PT has a high RX SPH over -7.00 and add -2.50, What lens will you suggest?

For night time driving, What PAL lens and coating will you recommend?

Thanks a lot for your time!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Maybe it's different, in the US, but Hoya in the UK are really good quality, and ethically better to deal with than essilor.
    Best first lens is usually the Lifestyle 3 and they do a lens called enroute for night driving.

Why only high index??

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thank you, Robert.

SV Hi-index 1.74 is back-ordered in ES lab until mid-March or maybe even May in our area. And PAL 1.74 has been unavailable since last December.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper consider to go with Hoya .............................................

Quote Originally Posted by gc2016 View Post

We’ve been with Essilor for years but recently consider to go with Hoya for Hi-index lens. Please be kind to give us your suggestions.

................why nor keep staying with Essilor who soon will be your only supplier left anyhow.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    gc2016, why do you guys use 1.74 over 1.67. I've noticed that most of the time the thickness difference between the two is very minimal. There are a few exceptions where 1.74 beats out 1.67, but then again it does cost more. Just curious. We don't do any 1.74 lens here, all the high index that we use is 1.67. HOYA has the clarity and harmony in the ID lifestyle. The clarity is suppose to be better for first time progressive wearers and the harmony is suppose to be better for normal wearers. I have put a few people in the ID Mystyle with great success. I don't have much on the lifestyle 3 yet.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by bta89 View Post
    gc2016, why do you guys use 1.74 over 1.67. I've noticed that most of the time the thickness difference between the two is very minimal. There are a few exceptions where 1.74 beats out 1.67, but then again it does cost more. Just curious. We don't do any 1.74 lens here, all the high index that we use is 1.67. HOYA has the clarity and harmony in the ID lifestyle. The clarity is suppose to be better for first time progressive wearers and the harmony is suppose to be better for normal wearers. I have put a few people in the ID Mystyle with great success. I don't have much on the lifestyle 3 yet.
    At my power (-9.50) there is a substantial difference in thickness between 1.67 and 1.74.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    He/she is right though, with the exception of very high powers, 1.67 is usually the best choice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    At my power (-9.50) there is a substantial difference in thickness between 1.67 and 1.74.
    What do you consider "substantial"? I doubt more than a millimeter right? Unless you have a big head and a small PD, necessitating a big decentered lens. Can any layperson tell the difference between a lens that is 9.5mm and 8.5mm in thickness? I hardly ever go above 1.60 index these days, and use trivex for most jobs. Unless someone demands a poorly fit frame in a high Rx, I can't see any reason to do otherwise.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Same.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow? Essilor is still backordered for the 1.74? At least they have an idea of a time frame though. I joined a private practice not too long after it happened and they had no idea how long it was going to be. For the progressives, I definitely like the Hoya portfolio better. More fluid options for your patients. I've actually had success taking patients from the Varilux X and fitting them with the Lifestyle 3. I also prefer the Recharge over Crizal Prevencia. The filter is too yellowed in the Prevencia. I do like the adaptability of the Varilux X, but with the Lifestyle 3 and the MyStyle, I think it fills that need pretty well.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thank you, bta89.

We do lots of 1.67, 1.60 and Trivex. Some patients in our area have high power and require 1.74 aspheric lenses. Their PD is less than 62mm but the lens size is bigger than 55mm.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by IIxIPariahIxII View Post
    Wow? Essilor is still backordered for the 1.74? At least they have an idea of a time frame though. I joined a private practice not too long after it happened and they had no idea how long it was going to be. For the progressives, I definitely like the Hoya portfolio better. More fluid options for your patients. I've actually had success taking patients from the Varilux X and fitting them with the Lifestyle 3. I also prefer the Recharge over Crizal Prevencia. The filter is too yellowed in the Prevencia. I do like the adaptability of the Varilux X, but with the Lifestyle 3 and the MyStyle, I think it fills that need pretty well.
    Thank you! IIxIPariahIxII.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    He/she is right though, with the exception of very high powers, 1.67 is usually the best choice.
    Yes. We like to use 1.67 for Sunglasses and big lenses.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Yes. Higher numbers bigger difference.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gc2016 View Post
    Thank you! IIxIPariahIxII.
    No problem. :) One thing to keep in mind though is they don't have a lot of 1.74 options, especially with the progressives, right now. But like previously stated, there's not a ton of difference in the thickness between 1.67 and 1.74 unless you're in the higher end minuses. Especially in progressives. Part of that is the newly minted MyStyle and Lifestyle 3 lenses. Like VSP, they have digital single vision options as well. And their EX3 AR coat is as good if not better than Crizal Sapphire. Most places around here don't even offer Sapphire. Avance is their best offered AR. And the cost is less both for the patient and for us.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by IIxIPariahIxII View Post
    No problem. :) One thing to keep in mind though is they don't have a lot of 1.74 options, especially with the progressives, right now. But like previously stated, there's not a ton of difference in the thickness between 1.67 and 1.74 unless you're in the higher end minuses. Especially in progressives. Part of that is the newly minted MyStyle and Lifestyle 3 lenses. Like VSP, they have digital single vision options as well. And their EX3 AR coat is as good if not better than Crizal Sapphire. Most places around here don't even offer Sapphire. Avance is their best offered AR. And the cost is less both for the patient and for us.
    Noted. Thanks again! IIxIPariahIxII.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    1.74 is also much more fragile than 1.67. I generally restrict my recommendation of 1.74 to RXes of -8.00 or higher. And many labs will not drill 1.74 under any circumstances, or at best they will not honor any warranty on a drilled 1.74.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Do NOT get involved with Hoya. We did and four years later it’s still one of the biggest regrets of my life. I’m about to run out the door but when I saw some poor soul was about to make the same mistake we did I had to jump in. I can go into more detail later but a quick search of my posting history here will take you to some horror stories. For as hasn’t as you may think Easilor is, Hoya is worse.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    Do NOT get involved with Hoya. We did and four years later it’s still one of the biggest regrets of my life. I’m about to run out the door but when I saw some poor soul was about to make the same mistake we did I had to jump in. I can go into more detail later but a quick search of my posting history here will take you to some horror stories. For as hasn’t as you may think Easilor is, Hoya is worse.
    I'm dealing with 2 Hoya labs. One is in Windsor Connecticut the other is run by Luxottica in Texas. Lifestyle 2 Harmony and Summit ecp and ecp iQ with very high success rates.

My mom always said if you can't say anything nice about someone don't say anything at all.

The Windsor lab and lenses are fine.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I'm dealing with 2 Hoya labs. One is in Windsor Connecticut the other is run by Luxottica in Texas. Lifestyle 2 Harmony and Summit ecp and ecp iQ with very high success rates.

My mom always said if you can't say anything nice about someone don't say anything at all.

All of their Lifestyle 2 lenses are frickin great.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I'm dealing with 2 Hoya labs. One is in Windsor Connecticut.

+1

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Any thoughts on the amplitude? I know it is a step down from the Lifestyle, but what about customers on a budget?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would probably say that the amplitude is on par with the Essilor Ovation lens. Maybe a slight level below the Comfort 2. It's somewhere around there. I noticed this week that the Lifestyle 3 is out and about. Anyone have a pair that would like to share their experience with it.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by curtains1 View Post
    Any thoughts on the amplitude? I know it is a step down from the Lifestyle, but what about customers on a budget?
    We work a lot with HOYA, and have a lot of success with their lenses. That being said, we have had very little success with Amplitude. The big thing to remember is that Amplitude is a 2mm drop instead of 4mm like most other PALs. For some reason, even setting the distance fitting cross lower than normal doesn't seem to help. For customers on a budget, I'd stay away and pick something else similar that fits like other PALs.

I noticed this week that the Lifestyle 3 is out and about. Anyone have a pair that would like to share their experience with it.
    Lifestyle 3 fits similarly to Lifestyle 2, except they've added another design to the portfolio. The way I understood it, IDLS2 Clarity was a slightly softer design with more emphasis on distance zones, and Harmony was a slightly harder design with more emphasis on near zones.

For IDLS3, they've translated thse same lens designs to the new portfolio, calling them "Indoor" and "Outdoor". They've also introduced "Urban", which is supposed to be more balanced between the two and more focused on customers who use digital devices. Think Shamir In-Touch, but compensated.

EDIT: We've dispensed quite a few, and had a good deal of success. It's still relatively new though, but really not any issues thus far. I would say that it is on par with all the newest digital designs (Varilux's X-Series, Shamir's Autograph Intelligence, etc).

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We sold a lot of Amplitude over the years with a lot of success. The Summit was another, though a bit more expensive. Our issue was with backorders. We sell a lot of Photochromics, and Hoya just couldn't deliver, even after their flood recovery in Thailand.
    Then, we went full FF and have not looked back.
    That said, the Amplitude, IMO is a solid budget PAL. Caveat, we never relied on other labs, as we processed them in house. And please, do not compare 2, 4 and 6 drops. If the fit is correct, the drop doesn't matter.

Andrew Hamm - there is a 0.5mm difference in thickness between 1.74 and 1.67 in an average 72mm frame PD with an average 62mm PD, BTW. ABBE is better in 1.67 than 1.74. I would say that this is not a 'significant' difference.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Thread Information