Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essilor vs. Hoya

Hi all,

We’ve been with Essilor for years but recently consider to go with Hoya for Hi-index lens. Please be kind to give us your suggestions.

What’s the best option for 1st time PAL users and what lens type will you recommend?

If the PT has a high RX SPH over -7.00 and add -2.50, What lens will you suggest?

For night time driving, What PAL lens and coating will you recommend?

Thanks a lot for your time!

Maybe it's different, in the US, but Hoya in the UK are really good quality, and ethically better to deal with than essilor.
    Best first lens is usually the Lifestyle 3 and they do a lens called enroute for night driving.

Why only high index??

Comment

Thank you, Robert.

SV Hi-index 1.74 is back-ordered in ES lab until mid-March or maybe even May in our area. And PAL 1.74 has been unavailable since last December.

Comment

consider to go with Hoya .............................................

Originally posted by gc2016 View Post

................why nor keep staying with Essilor who soon will be your only supplier left anyhow.

Comment

gc2016, why do you guys use 1.74 over 1.67. I've noticed that most of the time the thickness difference between the two is very minimal. There are a few exceptions where 1.74 beats out 1.67, but then again it does cost more. Just curious. We don't do any 1.74 lens here, all the high index that we use is 1.67. HOYA has the clarity and harmony in the ID lifestyle. The clarity is suppose to be better for first time progressive wearers and the harmony is suppose to be better for normal wearers. I have put a few people in the ID Mystyle with great success. I don't have much on the lifestyle 3 yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bta89 View Post
            gc2016, why do you guys use 1.74 over 1.67. I've noticed that most of the time the thickness difference between the two is very minimal. There are a few exceptions where 1.74 beats out 1.67, but then again it does cost more. Just curious. We don't do any 1.74 lens here, all the high index that we use is 1.67. HOYA has the clarity and harmony in the ID lifestyle. The clarity is suppose to be better for first time progressive wearers and the harmony is suppose to be better for normal wearers. I have put a few people in the ID Mystyle with great success. I don't have much on the lifestyle 3 yet.
            At my power (-9.50) there is a substantial difference in thickness between 1.67 and 1.74.
            I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Comment

He/she is right though, with the exception of very high powers, 1.67 is usually the best choice.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeHamm View Post
                At my power (-9.50) there is a substantial difference in thickness between 1.67 and 1.74.
                What do you consider "substantial"? I doubt more than a millimeter right? Unless you have a big head and a small PD, necessitating a big decentered lens. Can any layperson tell the difference between a lens that is 9.5mm and 8.5mm in thickness? I hardly ever go above 1.60 index these days, and use trivex for most jobs. Unless someone demands a poorly fit frame in a high Rx, I can't see any reason to do otherwise.

Comment

Same.

Comment

Wow? Essilor is still backordered for the 1.74? At least they have an idea of a time frame though. I joined a private practice not too long after it happened and they had no idea how long it was going to be. For the progressives, I definitely like the Hoya portfolio better. More fluid options for your patients. I've actually had success taking patients from the Varilux X and fitting them with the Lifestyle 3. I also prefer the Recharge over Crizal Prevencia. The filter is too yellowed in the Prevencia. I do like the adaptability of the Varilux X, but with the Lifestyle 3 and the MyStyle, I think it fills that need pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by bta89 View Post
                      Thank you, bta89.

We do lots of 1.67, 1.60 and Trivex. Some patients in our area have high power and require 1.74 aspheric lenses. Their PD is less than 62mm but the lens size is bigger than 55mm.

Comment

Originally posted by IIxIPariahIxII View Post
                        Wow? Essilor is still backordered for the 1.74? At least they have an idea of a time frame though. I joined a private practice not too long after it happened and they had no idea how long it was going to be. For the progressives, I definitely like the Hoya portfolio better. More fluid options for your patients. I've actually had success taking patients from the Varilux X and fitting them with the Lifestyle 3. I also prefer the Recharge over Crizal Prevencia. The filter is too yellowed in the Prevencia. I do like the adaptability of the Varilux X, but with the Lifestyle 3 and the MyStyle, I think it fills that need pretty well.
                        Thank you! IIxIPariahIxII.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert_S View Post
                          He/she is right though, with the exception of very high powers, 1.67 is usually the best choice.
                          Yes. We like to use 1.67 for Sunglasses and big lenses.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeHamm View Post
                            Yes. Higher numbers bigger difference.

Comment

Originally posted by gc2016 View Post
                              Thank you! IIxIPariahIxII.
                              No problem. :) One thing to keep in mind though is they don't have a lot of 1.74 options, especially with the progressives, right now. But like previously stated, there's not a ton of difference in the thickness between 1.67 and 1.74 unless you're in the higher end minuses. Especially in progressives. Part of that is the newly minted MyStyle and Lifestyle 3 lenses. Like VSP, they have digital single vision options as well. And their EX3 AR coat is as good if not better than Crizal Sapphire. Most places around here don't even offer Sapphire. Avance is their best offered AR. And the cost is less both for the patient and for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X