Thread: After Cat glasses paperwork

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

After Cat glasses paperwork

For those that do after cataract glasses to Medicare, what type of paper work is required? Obviously an ABN needs to be filled out, but there is some confusion in our office what is actually required. We currently fill out an ABN, order form, documentation that the glasses were picked up, and another documentation checklist. Does anyone have any good samples of paperwork. Ours are so confusing, I get confused filling them out let alone what the patient must be thinking.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our office is pretty small. We have an ABN and that's about it. We have our standard order form that we document the pick up date. We also have a standard invoice. My billing manager submits the amounts into medicare, but I give her the codes and $ amounts that need submitted. It is confusing. The sequestrations, and deductibles and secondary payment gets confusing to me. I never had to really deal with that in the past. I'm lucky to have a great billing manger who is patient with me! We are working on a new program that will allow more clarity on the invoice. (It is being written for us). We'll see how that works out!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    FWIW, we just discount the lenses/frames, one time for our post cx patients the approximate amount of their benefits with the express knowledge we will not help with any filing they wish to pursue on their own. (Other than a superbill receipt). Most locations around here don’t accept it at all so our patients are ecstatic about “our benefit “. Many of our patients are multi pair purchasers, it works well for us and they love the simplicity of it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    FWIW, we just discount the lenses/frames, one time for our post cx patients the approximate amount of their benefits with the express knowledge we will not help with any filing they wish to pursue on their own. (Other than a superbill receipt). Most locations around here don’t accept it at all so our patients are ecstatic about “our benefit “. Many of our patients are multi pair purchasers, it works well for us and they love the simplicity of it.
    LOVE LOVE LOVE! I will have to really think about this. We do have some people that have some pretty good benefits though. Some of our Highmark patients get the standard coverage plus an additional $200 toward deluxe items. That's pretty good when you are thinking about readers or FT. That being said... we don't get a lot of those.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    LOVE LOVE LOVE! I will have to really think about this. We do have some people that have some pretty good benefits though. Some of our Highmark patients get the standard coverage plus an additional $200 toward deluxe items. That's pretty good when you are thinking about readers or FT. That being said... we don't get a lot of those.
    Ok.. scratch that lovely idea. Apparently years ago we accepted Medicare for the visits and surgery and not for the glasses and it was this major uproar and the office decided that they should participate. Your idea would have been better, but I am just a little peon.
    Last edited by mervinek; 02-25-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Thread Information