Thread: More to consider, online replacement lenses

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

More to consider, online replacement lenses

Here we go. Not only complete pairs can be had on line, replacement lenses can, too. Private label, certainly. Factory seconds, most likely. Long wait times, for sure. Quality control, doubt it. Looking at these prices, many of us can offer quicker turns, better service and better quality at or close to these prices for entry level lenses.
    Take a look. http://www.lensfactory.com/

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Here we go. Not only complete pairs can be had on line, replacement lenses can, too. Private label, certainly. Factory seconds, most likely. Long wait times, for sure. Quality control, doubt it. Looking at these prices, many of us can offer quicker turns, better service and better quality at or close to these prices for entry level lenses.
    Take a look. http://www.lensfactory.com/
    Lol! Maybe this is why I'm so busy. In our shop single vision starts at $45. Bifocal at $79. Trifocal at $99. We don't do a 'cheap/budget' progressive but our freeform digital progressives start at $160. And I cut customers' lenses while they wait so they are never without their glasses. We do all of this with very short wait times and what the heck is a 'factory second'? No, quality products and quality work! And this remains the case for drill mounts or difficult high base curve wrap jobs. Hell, I'll even do custom engraving all with the customer either waiting on the couch or, in some cases, standing at an edger WITH me so I can show them how it all works. Techy or hands-on types LOVE that!

It's not uncommon for our office to get a call for a price quote and when we give them the price the customer will say, "No, for two lenses" and we reply "that IS for two lenses". They're in the office placing an order very shortly thereafter. And, when they walk into a very nice shop and get treated extremely well they come back and they tell others.

This ain't rocket surgery people...
    Last edited by Quig; 02-18-2019 at 03:50 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quig View Post
    Lol! Maybe this is why I'm so busy. In our shop single vision starts at $45. Bifocal at $79. Trifocal at $99. We don't do a 'cheap/budget' progressive but our freeform digital progressives start at $160. And I cut customers' lenses while they wait so they are never without their glasses. We do all of this with very short wait times and what the heck is a 'factory second'? No, quality products and quality work! And this remains the case for drill mounts or difficult high base curve wrap jobs. Hell, I'll even do custom engraving all with the customer either waiting on the couch or, in some cases, standing at an edger WITH me so I can show them how it all works. Techy or hands-on types LOVE that!

It's not uncommon for our office to get a call for a price quote and when we give them the price the customer will say, "No, for two lenses" and we reply "that IS for two lenses". They're in the office placing an order very shortly thereafter. And, when they walk into a very nice shop and get treated extremely well they come back and they tell others.

This ain't rocket surgery people...
    How are you able to offer lenses for that price? The least expensive bifocals I can find here in Canada are more than $79 my cost.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Then find out where your suppliers order their finished bifocal lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Trina View Post

How are you able to offer lenses for that price? The least expensive bifocals I can find here in Canada are more than $79 my cost.

Then find out where your suppliers order their finished bifocal lenses and blanks .......................

Here is one, and maybe the largest source for it on the Web:

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search...bifocal+lenses

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Trina :
    You can easily compete with those prices in Canada.
    Sounds like you are looking in the wrong places.
    Do you have an edger ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Trina View Post
    That can't be right. Also wholesale costs are not allows on the forums.

But, I assume Quig's retail prices listed are for uncoated plastic lenses, which doesn't seem far fetched at all.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Then find out where your suppliers order their finished bifocal lenses and blanks .......................

Here is one, and maybe the largest source for it on the Web:

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search...bifocal+lenses
    Chris, this web sight is mostly finished lenses, multifocals are spherical only and most have MOR of 500 pieces. This subject is about multifocals finished to specific Rx's .. Granted there are labs in China that do that but not on a one or two basis. Walmart and some of the other discount chains use them on a regular basis mostly for overflow for there US labs.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    That can't be right. Also wholesale costs are not allows on the forums.

But, I assume Quig's retail prices listed are for uncoated plastic lenses, which doesn't seem far fetched at all.
    Correct. If people are on a budget and want basic, I'm happy to offer that to them. With the exception of super-budget progressives... we just don't do them. Maybe I should consider having that option available too.

And, to answer Trina, you've GOT to shop around. Prices are all over the map...

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Here is were the world wide lens supply is made .....................................

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post

Chris, this web sight is mostly finished lenses, multifocals are spherical only and most have MOR of 500 pieces. This subject is about multifocals finished to specific Rx's .. Granted there are labs in China that do that but not on a one or two basis. Walmart and some of the other discount chains use them on a regular basis mostly for overflow for there US labs.

Thanks Don,...................however I am very familiar with lenses and the surfacing labs and their basic origin, having owned and operated one for over 20 years.

Here is were the world wide lens supply is made these days, and at what percentage by area and country:

Optical Lenses' Manufacturing around the world.
    Source : Thai Optical Group, and review in The Nation newspaper.

Whether you buy your new glasses in Thailand and elsewhere, there is a fair chance that the optical lenses you wear, have been manufactured in Thailand. Thailand produces more than 20 % of the close to a billion optical lenses made each year. Besides local independent manufacturers, many foreign countries have factories located in Thailand. These include : Hoya Lens (Japan), Essilor Manufacturing (France), Rodenstock (Germany), Solarlens (Italy), Indo (Spain) and Transitions (U.S.A.). Local total production capacity is 200 million optical lenses.
    A known local enterprise is Thai Optical Group, which produces optical lenses under its own brand names, and as an original-equipment-manufacturer (OEM) for other companies and brands. Thai Optical Group has an annual capacity at present of 27 million lenses.

Most of the raw material needed to produce optical lenses, has to be imported into the country, and has to be transported in refrigerated containers. The larger orders the country generates, creates lower costs per unit of production.
    source:
    http://www.thaiwebsites.com/opticallenses.asp

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Don’t forget about Mexico. Zeiss and Younger manufactures the bulk of their products there.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sorry for the Hi-Jack...

{Most of the raw material needed to produce optical lenses, has to be imported into the country, and has to be transported in refrigerated containers.}

I think I remember Mitsui producing drums of polyarbonate lens resin for about $5,000 which will make 7-10,00 uncut blanks depending on thickness.

For other High index raw resins check this site out:

https://www.mitsuichem.com/en/servic...ries/index.htm

Occupation
    Many years ago, early 70's, I contacted PPG regarding starting to manufacture ophthalmic lenses as an adjunct to my lab as CR-39 was just starting to catch on. I was put in touch with a nice chemist in their sales department who informed me that they only shipped the monomer by 3500 gallon railroad tank cars and that it had to be refrigerated. In addition you had to get some kind of State approval to store it on your site.

That is why you cant buy Baker' Finest Kind - Kick Butt Lenses today.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Kick Butt Lenses .......................................

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

Many years ago, early 70's, I contacted PPG regarding starting to manufacture ophthalmic lenses as an adjunct to my lab as CR-39 was just starting to catch on. I was put in touch with a nice chemist in their sales department who informed me that they only shipped the monomer by 3500 gallon railroad tank cars and that it had to be refrigerated. In addition you had to get some kind of State approval to store it on your site.

That is why you cant buy Baker' Finest Kind - Kick Butt Lenses today.

I just love that post....................if Kick Butt Lenses would be the standard today, you probably would never talk to me little guy, and park your jet at the Naples private airport for the rich and famous, and drive past my house without honking the horn.

Occupation

Don’t forget about Mexico. Zeiss and Younger .......................................

Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post

Don’t forget about Mexico. Zeiss and Younger manufactures the bulk of their products there.

..............and Zeiss is working hard to become exclusive main supplier in lenses for VSP. Still wondering when they will jump on the bandwagon of online opticals, with one of their own or in a partnership with somebody.

Thread Information