Thread: Bar Codes and Scanners and your optical

Occupation
    Optometrist

Bar Codes and Scanners and your optical

I am considering modernizing my optical. I could sure use some advice.

We have a practice management software, and I do believe that it allows us to use a bar code scanner.

Here's what I'm thinking:
    I could do inventory better (somehow)
    I could enter a frame into a patient's order form...complete with data (ED, B dimension, yada, temple length)

Then I was thinking:
    Could I create a sheet of paper with barcode stickers stuck to them that correspond to certain lenses/features, and just "scan" them and have automatic data entry?

Not even to half-baked level, yet, but let's talk! Does anyone know anything about this stuff?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    " Clean up at frame board 3!".....

The down side I see with a system like that is all the manual entering into the system of every single frame in your inventory. Sure, some manufacturers send bar codes with their frames, a lot don't.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm mulling throwing some big bucks at FramesData.com annually. They may generate a bar code?

I'm just trying to take some menial tasks away from running the optical.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    " Clean up at frame board 3!".....

The down side I see with a system like that is all the manual entering into the system of every single frame in your inventory. Sure, some manufacturers send bar codes with their frames, a lot don't.
    True but for the ones that do, you could use frames data if your system is compatible. I LOVE having all my frames coded. My bar codes are specific to the program I use which was written for us. It is so easy to keep inventory. It displays all the information in the patient record as you stated. I am also able to print off a rep inventory sheet with their allocation and exactly what is here. Definitely recommend it if you are able to have it work with your system.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I'm mulling throwing some big bucks at FramesData.com annually. They may generate a bar code?

I'm just trying to take some menial tasks away from running the optical.
    Frames data has the UPC codes for most of their frames. Not sure how that may work with the program you have, but with the ones I've worked with, they used that data to generate a bar code.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    True but for the ones that do, you could use frames data if your system is compatible. I LOVE having all my frames coded. My bar codes are specific to the program I use which was written for us. It is so easy to keep inventory. It displays all the information in the patient record as you stated. I am also able to print off a rep inventory sheet with their allocation and exactly what is here. Definitely recommend it if you are able to have it work with your system.
    The program you are using- please and thank you!!!

Ocuco (formerly OD pro) is about 10K a year for a 2 office OD practice that promised to do this years ago but so far.......

Last I heard our old friend Shanbaum still works there on the lab integration side of this place:

https://www.ocuco.com/products/
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-13-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    The program you are using- please and thank you!!!
    /
    We are super lucky. We are using a program that is being created for us by our lab. It's pretty awesome. Right now it is not completely finished but it will be soon. I think the intent is for them to sell the program to their local accounts (I am the tester) but they are only using it for optical dispensaries, so they don't need to worry about the exam portion. Perfect for the office I'm in now.

Thread Information