Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: former Warby Parker optician- ask me anything

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Ok, I accept your apology ....................................

The doomsday scenario is a fact, and I have my own personal involvement as of day one, many years ago. So the development of it has always been a top interest to me.

So if you do not like it, simply look the other way and ignore the posts on it.

Chris R.
    If anyone knows the approximate date when doomsday will occur please let me know so I can arrange for my extended vacation.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    If anyone knows the approximate date when doomsday will occur please let me know so I can arrange for my extended vacation.
    September 27, 2024. The day after I plan to retire.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Can everyone please stop with the personal attacks and snide comments? Thank you.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Can everyone please stop with the personal attacks and snide comments? Thank you.
    I'm done......sorry.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Where are we going from here ? .....................................

Now that the storm has passed this most interesting thread on optiBoard, we can hopefully continue a peaceful conversation on its subject, the future of Warby Parker as one of the busiest optical online sellers.

WP is now at a commercial stage wre it could be interesting for any of the corporations that are active in the optical Health Insurance sectors, as well as any of the optical manufacturers that are looking into a fast expansion in the online retail optical sales.

This could be from "United Health" to "VSP", "EyeMed" or "Essilux" direct, as well as any of the other few giant optical manufacturers, that suddenly see an importance to join this new competitive retail market.

We should also not forget the newest and latest internet technology G5, is now advancing fast into reality and some of the biggest changes in every sector will be introduced starting over the next 2 years. How is it going to affect the optical industry............some food for thought.

Occupation

Blue Jumper When are the leftover giants in the optical manufacturing industry ..................

When are the leftover giants in the optical manufacturing industry, as Zeiss, Rodenstock and Hoya jumping on the bandwagon of online retail opticals?

With the ever heavier competition in that field and Essilux officially stating their intention to heavily widen it, I believe that they have no other choice than eventually jumping into the new market situation. The sooner the better for them, or they will loose market share on a world wide basis as Essilux is getting active in many countries in Asia and Africa, even with local government supports..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If Hoya isn't already in bed making the two backed beast with Essilux- it's a sure bet they're spooning!

I think we've discussed extensively how managed care is moving into retail and is also absorbing the big names in lens designers. Meanwhile we independents will roll with the punches and keep playing rope-a-dope to avoid a knock out and continue to thrive in our niche.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    If Hoya isn't already in bed making the two backed beast with Essilux- it's a sure bet they're spooning!

I think we've discussed extensively how managed care is moving into retail and is also absorbing the big names in lens designers. Meanwhile we independents will roll with the punches and keep playing rope-a-dope to avoid a knock out and continue to thrive in our niche.
    What exactly do you mean by "rope-a-dope"?

Occupation

Redhot Jumper ................your big name in lens designs had a past

................your big name in lens designs had a past that was a technical type and design of a lens, without any designer name hooked on to it, to which you can make a future customer drool just thinking about it, because he just adores that styling and all the extras that come or go with it.

Your designer frames are not even born by the same mother and family. They are chosen by some reseller and named by somebodies name, that attracts fashion conscious people because of a famous name and that collects a fee from it.

The only difference a designer product has from another one, is that the name can command a higher or lower fee for each product sold, and has nothing to do with quality and or the looks.

Quality and pricing is now depending on how valuable the name is, not the quality nor the original manufacturer.

Occupation

Blue Jumper ................furthermore to add to the above:

................furthermore to add to the above:

Designer names are added as per order instructions and the same frame can still be on the market under other names if not an exclusivity deal has been arranged, which requires large quantity orders,

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Trina View Post
    Fester is really Don King.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Fester is really Don King.
    Careful Drk. Steve said no more name calling.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Trina View Post
    I thought every optician knew this saying.

From Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope-a-dope

Occupation

Blue Jumper ........................................ we independents will roll with the punches

........................................ we independents will roll with the punches and keep playing rope-a-dope to avoid a knock out and continue to thrive in our niche.

.............would you mind to explain how you propose doing all that ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ................your big name in lens designs had a past that was a technical type and design of a lens, without any designer name hooked on to it, to which you can make a future customer drool just thinking about it, because he just adores that styling and all the extras that come or go with it.

Your designer frames are not even born by the same mother and family. They are chosen by some reseller and named by somebodies name, that attracts fashion conscious people because of a famous name and that collects a fee from it.

The only difference a designer product has from another one, is that the name can command a higher or lower fee for each product sold, and has nothing to do with quality and or the looks.

Quality and pricing is now depending on how valuable the name is, not the quality nor the original manufacturer.
    Chris I would like to add one thing. Pricing would also be dependent of the perceived value of the designer name on the frame.
    Many consumers feel better purchasing a name than a no name brand of eyewear.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Chris I would like to add one thing..............................................

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post

Chris I would like to add one thing. Pricing would also be dependent of the perceived value of the designer name on the frame.
    Many consumers feel better purchasing a name than a no name brand of eyewear.

Good idea..........................you can even invent a designer name and make it your own brand, as long as you register it with the government, and you will not have to pay for a licensee fee.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good idea..........................you can even invent a designer name and make it your own brand, as long as you register it with the government, and you will not have to pay for a licensee fee.
    Of course you can invent a name and call it designer but most consumers I would think would rather purchase a Calvin Klein frame (a name that they have seen and bought before in cologne or clothing) than a name that someone made up.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Of course you can invent a name .....................................

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post

Of course you can invent a name and call it designer but most consumers I would think would rather purchase a Calvin Klein frame (a name that they have seen and bought before in cologne or clothing) than a name that someone made up.

You are totally correct. However that trademark has been used in many fields for years in cosmetics and fashion.
    But then you will have to charge and pay a high fee for it, included in the frame price to somebody else.

.........................this is all up to you, how you want to handle it, and how long the project would go on. If you own a designer name it could become a permanent institution.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 03-01-2019 at 12:04 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    We did? When? Because Lensmanmd (no offence) said so? It's all just opinion, including my own. However, the only real opinion that matters is that of the purchaser anyway. Just because you couldn't pay me to sell those frames, doesn't mean and end user can't find them perfectly acceptable and extremely valuable. The same can be said about people who wouldn't be caught dead wearing a WP frame and will only purchase independent brands made with top of the line materials, craftsmanship, and lenses. It's almost as if there is a wide gamut of consumers who have differing opinions on what they want. The smart optician will pick a segment they can be successful in, and service that segment. McDonald's doesn't care what Ruth's Chris is doing, and vice versa. But, if as a small business you try to wade into the shallow end of the pool with the big fish with endless pockets, you are going to get eaten alive.
    The WP frames look nice, but the zyl they use seems to go out of adjustment with a minimal amount of heat. The temples seem to be very long. I'm not a fan of their stuff.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Distinctly debonair.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper The WP frames look nice, but the zyl they use seems to go out of adjustment..........

Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post

The WP frames look nice, but the zyl they use seems to go out of adjustment with a minimal amount of heat. The temples seem to be very long. I'm not a fan of their stuff.

You can not generalize ...........................WP must be on the know how on the quality they are buying and selling. The plastic sheets that are used to make frames, require at least 12 month of storage before you can work with it, and if a manufacturer
    suddenly gets more orders than he can handle they are tempted to use plastic sheets that are not ready for further processing.

I bet you all the tea China that WP has not ordered any more frames from the company that sent them the faulty stuff.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can not generalize ...........................WP must be on the know how on the quality they are buying and selling. The plastic sheets that are used to make frames, require at least 12 month of storage before you can work with it, and if a manufacturer
    suddenly gets more orders than he can handle they are tempted to use plastic sheets that are not ready for further processing.

I bet you all the tea China that WP has not ordered any more frames from the company that sent them the faulty stuff.
    I dunno. A lot of them seem to be about the same.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought every optician knew this saying.

From Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope-a-dope
    Ohhhhhh! I'd never heard that before. Thanks!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interested to hear what your office's policy is when someone asks you for a pd or free frame adjustment?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interested to hear what your office policy is when someone comes in for a pd or adjustment of in-the-box Warby frames?

Thread Information