Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are glasses so expensive?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper I’ve not seen a survey that definitively states 14% .................................

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7

I’ve not seen a survey that definitively states 14%of market share is independent Optician owned opticals, but judging from my metro area (Houston), it’s way lower than that.

.............................so I have changed my original message text with an additional remark as (not confirmed). so that should put the argument to rest.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    .............................so I have changed my original message text with an additional remark as (not confirmed). so that should put the argument to rest.
    Chris;

Which begs the question why do you post this crap in the first place (picking numbers out of thin air) if it isn't true and there is no reliable published source behind it?
    Why would you do something like that?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are many sources of market share reports available on the Canadian and USA markets, however there is a cost. Perhaps a group might share that cost and the info if its allowed to be shared. There is considerable expense involved to research and put these reports together. The people assembling the data may prohibit their products from free public distribution.

For anyone with the interest and funds, here are 2 sources:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-share-canada/

https://www.ibisworld.ca/industry-tr...ns-stores.html

There are many other reports available for those who seek it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    There are many sources of market share reports available on the Canadian and USA markets, however there is a cost. Perhaps a group might share that cost and the info if its allowed to be shared. There is considerable expense involved to research and put these reports together. The people assembling the data may prohibit their products from free public distribution.

For anyone with the interest and funds, here are 2 sources:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-share-canada/

https://www.ibisworld.ca/industry-tr...ns-stores.html

There are many other reports available for those who seek it.
    Idispense…….I think you know the chances of members here pooling funds together to purchase these reports in your last post but thank you for posting.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    No it doesn't.

You changed your original comments to (not confirmed) but you left the "according to official figures" bit? Come on, which is it? Not confirmed or from official figures? What would even be an "official" source for the figures.

What you could have changed your comment to if you wanted to make more sense:

Independent opticians, according to arbitrary numbers I made up, are on a downtrend to 14 % (not confirmed) at this time.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Warby is going to branch out to be "just another chain".

Hey, they rode the internet and the cheap zyl frame mania to a solid enough marketshare and brand.

Now, they're going to entrench.

In other words, they'll have all the challenges that real opticals face.

And the nature of optical (for the one-zillionth time) is that it's very labor-intensive and personalized, meaning that smaller entities will always do better work.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Chris;

Which begs the question why do you post this crap in the first place (picking numbers out of thin air) if it isn't true and there is no reliable published source behind it?
    Why would you do something like that?
    Chris Ryser;

Still waiting for an answer as to why you mislead myself and everyone else on this site with your made-up posts with phoney facts and figures.
    #nocredibility

Occupation

Still waiting for an answer ...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post

Chris Ryser;

Still waiting for an answer as to why you mislead myself and everyone else on this site with your made-up posts with phoney facts and figures.
    #nocredibility

...................all of my posts copied from the outside, usually have the source mentioned and so does the original one with the 14 %.
    However I was not able to find it among the 23 180 of my posts because I stopped looking at some point.

Sorry to disappoint you and the other complainer ...............................the matter is now closed for for me.

Originally Posted by optical24/7

I’ve not seen a survey that definitively states 14%of market share is independent Optician owned opticals, but judging from my metro area (Houston), it’s way lower than that.

Last edited by Chris Ryser; 02-26-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This article from Envision goes back a few years but seems to show that Chris would be closer to the truth than not,

http://envisionmagazine.ca/feature-a...ptical-retail/

Especially if you consider the size of the Canadian chains which were not mentioned in the article.

Occupation

This article from Envision goes back a few years ....................................

Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post

This article from Envision goes back a few years but seems to show that Chris would be closer to the truth than not,

http://envisionmagazine.ca/feature-article-ownership-and-opportunity-whos-squeezing-who-in-optical-retail/

Especially if you consider the size of the Canadian chains which were not mentioned in the article.

.........thanks for your support, hope it helps, but depends on what the motivation is behind it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Fake news!
    Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Kwill, Chris is old school with a Google addiction. He is a retired doomsday prophet and isn’t grounded in independent philosophy.
    However, his posts do make us think and react. Perhaps, that is not all bad?
    Retired doomsday prophet? Since when is he retired from the doomsday business?
    Last edited by Lelarep; 03-19-2019 at 10:17 PM.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So this thread got me thinking. How do your offices handle requests for repairs, adjustments, and or just "clean my glasses" when the request comes from someone who hasn't purchased eye wear from your business, OR isn't even a patient at your clinic at all. I constantly get walk in people off the street asking me to adjust, repair, or just clean their glasses.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our office has a small sign stating that we do not provide free service for eyewear purchased elsewhere, including adjustments, repairs or RX Verification.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    So this thread got me thinking. How do your offices handle requests for repairs, adjustments, and or just "clean my glasses" when the request comes from someone who hasn't purchased eye wear from your business, OR isn't even a patient at your clinic at all. I constantly get walk in people off the street asking me to adjust, repair, or just clean their glasses.
    Every time someone come in asking for a free minor service like an adjustment or cleaning it is a golden opportunity to impress them with your skill, personality and concern for their eye health. Similarly every time you get a pesky phone call it is your opportunity to make a dollar. If no one comes in or calls you are screwed.

It's tougher today since you are in competition with the Fat Tony and the eye care Mafia's vision plans. But for sure, you ain't gonna make no friends by giving them the bums rush.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post

In my practice we normally ask for a donation into the Donation tin. This is used for local charities in the area. Buying disadvantaged children school supplies etc etc.

Each month we try a different charity.

We don't force the customer, we just say "There is no charge for that service today but if you would like to put what you think that service was worth in the donation jar on the reception desk, all monies goes towards local charities"

Sometimes they put nothing in, sometimes 5 cents, sometimes $20. Varies person to person like everything in life.l
    Last edited by azzathejunglist; 04-15-2019 at 07:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by azzathejunglist View Post
    In my practice we normally ask for a donation into the Donation tin. This is used for local charities in the area. Buying disadvantaged children school supplies etc etc.

Each month we try a different charity.

We don't force the customer, we just say "There is no charge for that service today but if you would like to put what you think that service was worth in the donation jar on the reception desk, all monies goes towards local charities"

Sometimes they put nothing in, sometimes 5 cents, sometimes $20. Varies person to person like everything in life.l
    I really like this idea. I am going to suggest this to my boss.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We post a teeny menu of teeny fees for a la carte optical services. Here's why:

1. Person comes in and wants, say, adjustment.
    2. We, of course, happily do it, and schmooze them.
    3. Then we say "the first one is on us".
    4. And they love it.

Now, in a (rarely ever encountered) abuse scenario, we just charge them each time, which will:
    1. Make it remotely fair
    2. Screen out the abusive freeloaders

The only problem with this would be someone who walks in with an obvious pair of online glasses (again, rare around here) that have never been adjusted. Then you're in a pickle.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it is important to note that value isn't just low price. Value doesn't not need to equal cheap.

I love selling packages. It allows me to discount my materials/services to an affordable cash pay rate, w/o leaving any money on the table for the 3rd party payers.

I have two packages for progressives. A value package that is an entry level digital PAL and one of our overstock frames. Cost is $299 and includes only a warranty for defects in workmanship or materials. The second is our signature package that has a midtier Digital PAL in Trivex (think Intouch) with Ultra AR, and Designer frame valued up to $375. 2 year Warranty, with up to 2 remakes for any reason. Starts at $575, and upgrades to frame/top tier PAL/etc can be added in.

Guess which one I sell more of?

If you guessed the one that is almost twice as much, you are correct. Once we educate patients on why we promote these options, and our willingness to support it with a strong warranty, most patients will open up their pocketbook.

The patient pays close to an "insurance" price, we make more than we do with 3rd party because we control our costs, and its a win-win for all.

I prefer to make it easy to do business with us. I appreciate the same from my vendors. Many of our patients feel the same way too. Most of us are willing to pay a bit more if it means less hassle in the end.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    ...Most of us are willing to pay a bit more if it means less hassle in the end.
    I think this is a universal truth, for anyone but those that live paycheck to paycheck.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    I think this is a universal truth, for anyone but those that live paycheck to paycheck.
    What I find is that those with disposable incomes are cheap. Those that are on the verge of paycheck to paycheck tend to pay for quality and service.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check out David Lazarus' LA Times article on vision plans rigging the system 3/19/19-I give this article to patients who ask what I think of VSP and Eyemed

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First order Optidirt:

“It’s an unethical way to do business,” Butler said of the vision plans. “It should not be legal for an insurer to be involved in selling goods. Insurers should be independent of manufacturers.”

https://www.latimes.com/business/laz...319-story.html

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    The only problem with this would be someone who walks in with an obvious pair of online glasses (again, rare around here) that have never been adjusted. Then you're in a pickle.
    No problem. We’re opticians, so we adjust them. Yes, first one might be free—depends on what’s involved.

You wouldn’t turn away an eye emergency that walked in off the street—even if they told you they Couldn't afford to pay—would you?

Q: Why do we all constantly profile online eyewear buyers as bad?

B

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yes, I would happily turn away an emergency that walked in off the street if they told me they couldn't afford to pay!

You see, the Federal Government has made that the law for hospital emergency departments (sometime in the late '80's IIRC). That's why the ER is such a cluster. And expensive beyond ken. Private clinics that do that are S-U-C-K-E-R-S.

The pickle I see, is if we give a "first-time freebie" and someone has unadjusted glasses from online purchase, well...they've gamed the system and I've played along.

Online buyers aren't necessarily "bad", but "undereducated". They probably don't know that they're stealing services when they pop in for the "free adjustment". (Or when they are living in their parents' basement.)

I know LC and the Wally and other big boxes give away free stuff. You get what you pay for.

But my optician is well-trained, astute, friendly, busy serving paying patients, and she's a little expensive.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Dean Butler is the devil. He can go to where he belongs.

Thread Information