Thread: Crizal coating after edging

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Crizal coating after edging

I've been told by every essilor lab I've ever worked with that crizal can only be applied to uncuts. I now have an essilor partner lab telling me they can do it on edged lenses. Anyone have any knowledge or insight? Is this possible or are they taking me for a ride?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper crizal can only be applied to uncuts ..............................

Quote Originally Posted by domshadd View Post

I've been told by every essilor lab I've ever worked with that crizal can only be applied to uncuts. I now have an essilor partner lab telling me they can do it on edged lenses. Anyone have any knowledge or insight? Is this possible or are they taking me for a ride?

Essilor has always been for advancement in technology, and if a lab has new equipment that lets them do it, take the chance until they can not tsupply what they are saying. If it works you are ahead of the game.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's of course *possible* to run edged lenses through the Crizal process, but they're not supposed to (partner labs fudge the rules a bit, sometimes for the better!). The problem your going to run into is the TD2 dip hard coating, the whole lens get's submerged and coated and it's going to get all over your bevel and change the lens circumference and bevel shape. I guess you could try to re-edged it again to grind away that coating on the bevel, but that seems like a lot of futzing that is going to give you a less than premium result. Other ARs that don't use the substrate hardcoating will apply fine. In the Essilor family EnduraEZ and Sharpview both work.

Thread Information