Thread: OD providing licensed coverage instead of Licensed Optician? HELP

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OD providing licensed coverage instead of Licensed Optician? HELP

Hi this is Chad, I am an Licensed Optician in Florida. They have mentioned that the OD can provide licensed coverage and the sales people can just dispense when he is here. Is that true? I thought they had to own the optical for that to be true. If it is, then why have Licensed Opticians at all? Just have the OD.Plus, direct supervision is mentioned in several laws. If he is in a closed exam room in the back. He can't give direct supervision. Please advise and provide links or info to prove this

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The days of your license becoming meaningless are fast approaching imo.

We (opticians) can't get our act together to hire the lobbyists necessary to bribe our states legislature to keep it up as compared to the pressures EssiLux is putting on them to just turn it into a minimum wage McJob.

I can't help but think Massachusetts keeps it going for the license fees we generate for state coffers, supplemented by the fines we face for not wearing a name tag with our license number on it at all times.

Now if you want to dispense glasses or contacts here from the internet?

No problem!!!

Mr Baker will no doubt agree that it's a jungle out there and always has been- really survival of the fittest and licenses are meaningless anyway.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

The days of your license becoming meaningless are fast approaching imo...............

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

The days of your license becoming meaningless are fast approaching imo.

We (opticians) can't get our act together to hire the lobbyists necessary to bribe our states legislature to keep it up as compared to the pressures EssiLux is putting on them to just turn it into a minimum wage McJob.

I can't help but think Massachusetts keeps it going for the license fees we generate for state coffers, supplemented by the fines we face for not wearing a name tag with our license number on it at all times.

Thank you Uncle Fester ..................................the indications of what is coming have been around for quite a few years.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jcleeldo View Post
    Hi this is Chad, I am an Licensed Optician in Florida. They have mentioned that the OD can provide licensed coverage and the sales people can just dispense when he is here. Is that true? I thought they had to own the optical for that to be true. If it is, then why have Licensed Opticians at all? Just have the OD.Plus, direct supervision is mentioned in several laws. If he is in a closed exam room in the back. He can't give direct supervision. Please advise and provide links or info to prove this
    The od must be the owner. If it is not owned by an od or omd, the od must be employed by the corporation. Optometrist legally cannot be employed by corporations in florida. So it is bull that the od just because he is there a licensed optician is not required. Report him to the optometric board and report the corporation to the opticianry board. The optical shop has a site license and it falls under the opticianry board. You can also report anonymously. Fines are heavy.
    Cng
    Last edited by CNG; 01-29-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Thread Information