Thread: Optometrists and opticians: perhaps there’s no greater partnership in patient care!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Optometrists and opticians: perhaps there’s no greater partnership in patient care!

Optometry Podcast: Carissa Dunphy Talks Optician Now

By Drs. Glover & Lyerly - January 14, 2019

Optometrists and opticians: perhaps there’s no greater partnership in patient care! As ODs, we depend on opticians to help educate our patients about the best optical technology to help get them seeing with the same clarity as they did behind the phoropter.

And for opticians, they depend on the prescribing doctor to be expert sleuths detecting medical conditions that could limit the patient’s visual quality, as well as dedicated listeners to write prescriptions that solve each unique patient’s visual needs.

See all of it:

https://defocusmedia.com/optometry-p...s-optician-now

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Optometry Podcast: Carissa Dunphy Talks Optician Now

By Drs. Glover & Lyerly - January 14, 2019

Optometrists and opticians: perhaps there’s no greater partnership in patient care! As ODs, we depend on opticians to help educate our patients about the best optical technology to help get them seeing with the same clarity as they did behind the phoropter.

And for opticians, they depend on the prescribing doctor to be expert sleuths detecting medical conditions that could limit the patient’s visual quality, as well as dedicated listeners to write prescriptions that solve each unique patient’s visual needs.

See all of it:

https://defocusmedia.com/optometry-p...s-optician-now
    It's a shame most OD's are unable to acknowledge the tremendous value and expertise a licensed Optician brings to the practice. There would be way less mistakes and a huge improvement in both patient service and bottom line.

There has never been a better time in our industry to join forces and reap the benefits.

Occupation

Blue Jumper There has never been a better time in our industry to join forces ...................

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

It's a shame most OD's are unable to acknowledge the tremendous value and expertise a licensed Optician brings to the practice. There would be way less mistakes and a huge improvement in both patient service and bottom line.

There has never been a better time in our industry to join forces and reap the benefits.

Lab Insight..................................a perfect statement

Thinking about it, one should even stitch the word "and needed" between better .........time.

In most other countries optometrists are advanced opticians, the level at which they started, and went through the opticians learning level first.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Why multinationals can survive trade conflicts ..............................

Why
    multinationals can survive trade conflicts

Key takeaways

• Multinational companies are adapting to new trade tensions.
    • Multinationals are going multilocal to get closer to consumers.
    • Competition is heating up in fast-growing emerging markets.

As a portfolio manager who invests in manylarge, multinational companies, the most common question I get these days is whether I am worried about the impact of global trade restrictions on these firms. At a time when punishing new tariffs are being threatened and imposed in rapid succession around the world, are these trade-depend companies the most vulnerable to a brewing trade war?

The answer may surprise you: While I Certainly follow these political conflicts, I am not overly concerned about the impact on well-managed multinationals. Simply put, they are the best-positioned companies to navigate an uncertain environment and devise effective solutions.Some of them are starting to do it now, employing nimble, multi local business strategies that put them closer to consumers and local buying trends. And some of them have been doing it for years, reaping the benefits of a tailored approach to local markets.

continue:

https://www.thecapitalideas.com/arti...ltilocal-trade

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ugh

opticians will forever remain the second class citizens of eyewear if they continue seek such work partnerships.

B

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Why an Increasing Number of Retiring Entrepreneurs Are Selling the Business to.....

Why an Increasing Number of Retiring Entrepreneurs Are Selling the Business to Their Employees

The most rewarding exit of all is getting the cash out you've earned while taking care of the people you grew the business with.

Lori Shepherd

GUEST WRITER
    Founder, 25SecondsPR
    February 21, 2018 7 min read
    Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.

Baby boomers own about half of all privately-held companies with employees in the United States. The 2.4 million business owners who belong to this aging demographic (one-third of whom have already passed 65) will need to develop sound and sensible exit strategies.

As they look to the future, there is an elegant solution that all retiring business owners should consider: employee ownership. In a crowded marketplace, transferring full ownership to the workers may represent their best chance to sell their businesses at fair market value, to familiar buyers with strong motivation to keep the firm thriving.

Related: Selling Your Business to Your Employees
    Make no mistake: employee ownership is not some pie-in-the-sky, utopian scheme with no grounding in real-world economics. It is a reliable and time-tested model that is generating jobs and reinvigorating communities across the globe.
    If you’re a boomer business owner planning for succession, you can’t afford to overlook the employee ownership option.

The Silver Tsunami and what it means to you.
    Roughly 10,000 baby boomers turn 65 every day, dramatically impacting the course of our economy. Market analysts refer to this cascade as the Silver Tsunami, and as boomer-generation proprietors retire, a torrent of businesses are going up for sale.

Ideally, Gen Xers and millennials would be lining up to purchase these companies, or legions of sons, daughters, nieces or nephews should standing by, ready to take over and keep the family tradition going. But that isn’t the reality, and for you as a boomer business owner, the scarcity of potential replacements is a big problem. It’s also a problem for American communities, which depend on their small business owners to provide jobs and create locally-rooted wealth.

Even if you’re willing to consider out-of-town or corporate buyers, the odds aren’t in your favor. Only 20 percent of businesses listed for sale ever sell, and that percentage is likely to decline in coming years as boomer-owned enterprises flood the market at a record pace. Additionally, only about 15 percent of privately-held companies are passed on to a second generation.

Continue reading:
    https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/308785

Occupation

Redhot Jumper ......................................or the alternative , for example in Canada

some Sunday reading:

3.4 NEW LOOK VISION’S GROWTH STRATEGY
    New Look Vision’s strategy for growth is focused on growing its core revenue base. At the same time, New Look Vision will selectively pursue opportunities for growth that are expected to maximize shareholder value, which will include the following:

Continue to Acquire Optical Chains. With the optical retail environment becoming extremely competitive, New Look Vision has a structure and the access to capital to acquire significant industry players in Canada. The Corporation intends to pursue an aggressive revenue growth strategy and be attentive to any opportunity that may arise in the Canadian market.

Continue to Acquire Independent Optical Practices in Existing Markets. New Look Vision has built a solid store network and operates performing stores, two state-of-the-art laboratories and ancillary assets through which it can expand the business. The Corporation intends to pursue a revenue growth strategy focused on the acquisition of independent optical practices in select target markets.

Expand in Existing Markets. New Look Vision is currently evaluating several additional new store opportunities for 2018 and later.

Market penetration. The Corporation has coast to coast representation which it achieved with its first acquisition in 2013 and has been strengthened with the acquisition of Iris in October 2017. The addition of these stores, supported by focused merchandising programs, advertising campaigns, customer service initiatives and improved supply chain management, has increased New Look Vision’s market presence and will continue to drive revenue growth in all markets.

Total # of Stores 379

See All of it:
    http://www.newlookvision.ca/data/sha...20Form2018.pdf
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 01-20-2019 at 04:15 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course, licensure has NOTHING to do with quality. But we all know that. It's the wild wild west out here, license or no. Without any national educational and competency standards, there is no quality standard.

Any partnership with an OD / MD notwithstanding...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    No way I'm listening to that.

Hey, there's a whole lot of turf protectin' going on, here.

Truth is, that 95% of ODs don't know lenses and opticianry anymore. We've been pigeonholed to the exam room grinding out SpRxs for chains or becoming elite general ophthalmologists.

The classic OD that knows refractive care is extinct, and nobody cares.

Now your average optician doesn't know jack squat, either. They're busy pushing AR coatings and 1.67 or additional pairs in the chains.

I just learned of an outside Rx filled by my optician, today, and there were all sorts of problems due to the fragmenting of care. She didn't know what the patient's status was. The prescriber doesn't know what happens after she authored the SpRx, or much care.

The keys are:
    1. Traditional optometric excellence. How we miss you.
    2. Traditional optician excellence.
    3. Continuity of care.

I think my optician is pretty great with her job, and she has me to consult with, and vice versa. Good for the patient. So, teaming up is good, but I don't like the parameters listed on Chris' post where the ODs sleuth for disease and the optician is doing vision care. That's a goofball paradigm if I've ever heard one.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

Truth is, that 95% of ODs don't know lenses and opticianry anymore. We've been pigeonholed to the exam room grinding out SpRxs for chains or becoming elite general ophthalmologists.

Now your average optician doesn't know jack squat, either. They're busy pushing AR coatings and 1.67 or additional pairs in the chains.

I just learned of an outside Rx filled by my optician, today, and there were all sorts of problems due to the fragmenting of care. She didn't know what the patient's status was. The prescriber doesn't know what happens after she authored the SpRx, or much care.

The keys are:
    3. Continuity of care.

I think my optician is pretty great with her job, and she has me to consult with, and vice versa. Good for the patient. So, teaming up is good, but I don't like the parameters listed on Chris' post where the ODs sleuth for disease and the optician is doing vision care. That's a goofball paradigm if I've ever heard one.
    Agree with everything here Doc 100%!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1 I worked with an OD who knew his lenses. He was great! We worked well together and solved a lot of problems. Having a good OD and good Optician together is the best!

The keys are:
    3. Continuity of care.

Occupation

Blue Jumper optician is pretty great with her job, and she has me to consult with ...............

drk...........................having followed your posts on optiBoard for more than 10 years, I can state that you are one of those professionals that are also interested in the mechanics of the opticians job and understand and practice all of it in your office.

However how many of co optometrists on this continents optical retail market, are as open minded as you are ? Is it a majority or a minority?

Thread Information