Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: check your RX at home in minutes .............................

  1. #1
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    in Naples FL for the Winter months
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    23,013

    Blue Jumper check your RX at home in minutes .............................

    See all about it:


    Self Measurement Device Unveiled at CES 2019

    in LasVegas last week



    See all of it :
    https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...ations-Honoree
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  2. #2
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Ontario
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    1
    Awesome but they will start shipping in March

  3. #3
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    in Naples FL for the Winter months
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    23,013

    The instrument is probably made in China ...............................

    Quote Originally Posted by Bcopt View Post

    Awesome but they will start shipping in March

    ....................who cares, and so far they have no competition on the market.

    The instrument is probably made in China and they had to order a certain quantity and will get the stock in by somewhere in late February. I guess that it could become a good selleras the news has been flashing aound the optical world.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  4. #4
    What's up? drk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    7,537
    It's not a "Rx" if there's no doctor signature.

    You mean, "check your vision". It says so on the device.


    I applaud the device. Now the numbskulls that are DIY opticians can be DIY optometrists, and leave me alone.

  5. #5
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    in Naples FL for the Winter months
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    23,013

    Blue Jumper drk.............................they will leave you alone for another 2 months,

    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

    It's not a "Rx" if there's no doctor signature.

    You mean, "check your vision". It says so on the device.


    I applaud the device. Now the numbskulls that are DIY opticians can be DIY optometrists, and leave me alone.


    ..............................look at the other side, what this could or can do in the real world that has just waited for such a device.

    Any sunglass stand in your drugstore or shopping center kiosk, can now have a "check your vision" instrument and will start selling sunglasses with prescription lenses, made in labs that are just waiting for more businesses.

    Opticians in non regulated states will have a "VisionCheck" instrument or several, on location, and get the "lens powers" right on the spot.

    Online opticals will be the best promoters for the instrument.

    drk.............................they will leave you alone for another 2 months and then it will slowly start to make its way into the optical retail trade and some of it into private hands. During the next 12 month we should see some reactions by the public as well as the professionals.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  6. #6
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Posts
    1
    Thanks, I'll check it out. Does it ship to Quebec?

  7. #7
    What's up? drk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    7,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    ..............................look at the other side, what this could or can do in the real world that has just waited for such a device.

    Any sunglass stand in your drugstore or shopping center kiosk, can now have a "check your vision" instrument and will start selling sunglasses with prescription lenses, made in labs that are just waiting for more businesses.

    Opticians in non regulated states will have a "VisionCheck" instrument or several, on location, and get the "lens powers" right on the spot.

    Online opticals will be the best promoters for the instrument.

    drk.............................they will leave you alone for another 2 months and then it will slowly start to make its way into the optical retail trade and some of it into private hands. During the next 12 month we should see some reactions by the public as well as the professionals.
    Again, can a machine prescribe? Then they won't be prescription.

    They may be "tailored" or "customized" but not prescription.

    All the yahoos that don't do what I have done for thirty years think they can do this. IMMA TELLIN' YA THEY CAN'T.

    So I'm getting out the popcorn bag emoji.

    Garbage in, garbage out.

    The engineering of a cheap autorefractor is perhaps a nice development. But face it, there are laws against "have autorefractor in store, can prescribe to my heart's content", right now. And there is enough optometric money to keep it illegal in my state, at least.

    I'm sure, though, that they'll try to put these cheap autorefractors in GP MDs offices (having found a license to exploit) who will get some kind of referral spiff to have a kiosk (like an ATM machine in a gas station convenience store).

    But put it in Sunglass Hut and it'll be shut down.
    Last edited by drk; 01-23-2019 at 03:28 PM.

  8. #8
    What's up? drk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    7,537
    Oh my gosh. It looks like it's merely a piece of plastic to keep your eye a set distance from a phone.

    For $59.99.

    It's not even a refracting device.

    https://www.eyeque.com/

  9. #9
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,103
    bahahaha That's great!
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Oh my gosh. It looks like it's merely a piece of plastic to keep your eye a set distance from a phone.

    For $59.99.

    It's not even a refracting device.

    https://www.eyeque.com/

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 3 guests)

  1. jefe

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2017, 02:21 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2017, 06:15 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-17-2017, 11:34 AM
  4. I can be there in 15 minutes when I close in 5.
    By Mizikal in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-22-2014, 10:43 AM
  5. Got a Few Minutes??
    By Cindy Hamlin in forum Just Conversation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 01:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
BC College of Optics, Younger Optics and Vision Equipment