Thread: Types of Incentives to staff

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Idea Types of Incentives to staff

Types of incentives to staff either on each sale or if they upgrade any patients, please guide

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I usually give them money, it seems to be their favorite. I focus on them uncovering needs, soft selling and not pushing just for commissions though. I want them to recommend and fit the best to everyone, but not everyone can afford that and we try our best to service as many people as possible within reason.

In addition to money every now and then I will offer a bottle of wine or something for the person who sells a particular frame (we had one such race to fit this $800 gucci frame we had)

Mostly the incentive I use is more money in their pocket.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoptics View Post
    Types of incentives to staff either on each sale or if they upgrade any patients, please guide
    Incentives to "upgrade" patients... sounds like an awful place to shop or work, IMO.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Geesh... In our office, we need incentives to just get people to show up at work. Apparently a paycheck is not an incentive. Go figure.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's been my experience that traditional "spiffs" too often result in dispensing inappropriate frame and lens products to patients who don't really need them. Remember that the most important thing you are "selling" is the relationship between your office and the patient. If they feel like they are being "sold" something, they are less likely to come back next year. Spiffs result in a lot of "selling."

My recommendation would be a reasonable monthly goal for the entire office, with bonuses evenly shared by the entire staff. That's what we do at my office, and everyone is on the same team to achieve our monthly and quarterly goals.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post

It's been my experience that traditional "spiffs" too often result in dispensing inappropriate frame and lens products to patients who don't really need them. Remember that the most important thing you are "selling" is the relationship between your office and the patient. If they feel like they are being "sold" something, they are less likely to come back next year. Spiffs result in a lot of "selling."

That seems to be the most proper and fair way to increase sales in a retail business.

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Another option is to look at areas where you would like to increase. Such as, do you need to increase the number of A/R sales or possibly photochromic sales, do you want to increase the number of multiple pair sales? One area most offices probably fall short is computer eyeglass sales.
    Set benchmarks and goals. Your staff may think they are doing well, but they don't see the financial statements.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Randle Tibbs, ABOM View Post
    Your staff may think they are doing well, but they don't see the financial statements.
    I think this information should be shared. Sometimes you might be looking at your sales for the quarter and they might be up from last quarter, but maybe this time you had more orders with insurance so the profit is actually lower. Sharing this information with your staff helps them to understand where you're coming from. This can be something simply posted in the staff break room, or done during a routine staff meeting.

Thread Information