Thread: Drop Ball Test on every lens?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Drop Ball Test on every lens?

Good Morning,
    I have been following this site for many years and it has provided an invaluable experience! Thank you all.

I know that drop test is requirement in the US, but never really paid attention to it, as it is not required here in Canada.
    Yesterday my curiosity kicked in and I did some research on FDA site. So, I am not sure how practically this is executed at the smaller lab level.
    My understanding is that drop test is required to be performed on edged lenses before mounting. Do you drop test EVERY single surfaced lens??? Does not it damage lenses? I know my lab works hard to prevent any tiniest scratches on the AR coated lenses. I am not sure how much of the impact the steel ball will make on the lens and coating.
    Also, do you get some kind of certificate with every job, that states that lens was drop tested?
    Thank you in advance
    NP

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper The drop ball test was used in the old days of glass lenses.......................

The drop ball test was used in the old days of glass lenses, and not needed for plastic lenses.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Here's a link to the FDA Guidance document on impact resistance. Plastic lenses must be statistically tested. There is no certificate required.

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Medica.../ucm070755.pdf
    RT

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Exactly why i am confused. How do you statistically test surfaced work.

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    Here's a link to the FDA Guidance document on impact resistance. Plastic lenses must be statistically tested. There is no certificate required.

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Medica.../ucm070755.pdf

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by navipro View Post
    Exactly why i am confused. How do you statistically test surfaced work.
    Page 12 from the link covers sampling plans.

"FDA does not limit manufacturers to any specific sampling plan; however, you shoulduse a valid statistical sampling plan. FDA has recognized the standards below. Youmay use either of these standards or an equivalent standard."

Occupation
    You do not have to be concerned with the statistical testing. That responsibility falls upon the manufacturer of stock finished lenses. On surfaced jobs you can again rely on historical testing by surfacing labs. For example a -1.00 CR-39 lens will be assumed to satisfy the FDA requirements.

Back in the sixties, when the FDA issued the first requirements for "dress" safety and "industrial" safety it was a major shock to the eyeglass business. In most businesses glass was the predominant lens material and we were required to heat treat (before the days of chem tempering) and drop ball test every lens. The - 8.00 patient that had been wearing a glass rimless with a 0.8 FCT was in for a shock when he requires a new pair of lenses. On the plus side we charged an extra $10.00 for the service and were able to upgrade our boats in short order.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    This makes sense then. I guess processing lab bears whole legal responsibility to make sure nothing shatters. Thanks for clarification!
    Have a great weekend everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    You do not have to be concerned with the statistical testing. That responsibility falls upon the manufacturer of stock finished lenses. On surfaced jobs you can again rely on historical testing by surfacing labs. For example a -1.00 CR-39 lens will be assumed to satisfy the FDA requirements.

Back in the sixties, when the FDA issued the first requirements for "dress" safety and "industrial" safety it was a major shock to the eyeglass business. In most businesses glass was the predominant lens material and we were required to heat treat (before the days of chem tempering) and drop ball test every lens. The - 8.00 patient that had been wearing a glass rimless with a 0.8 FCT was in for a shock when he requires a new pair of lenses. On the plus side we charged an extra $10.00 for the service and were able to upgrade our boats in short order.

Occupation
    In all my years laboring in the eye care vineyard I have never seen a citation of a successful legal action against an optician for injury due to a broken lens. In fact, I posted a message some years ago offering a bottle of 12 year old single malt Scotch whiskey to anyone on OptiBoard who could send me a citation. I still have the bottle of Macallan.

My skeptical nature and belief that the FDA rulings are all a part of the Eye Glass Mafia's plan to take control of the industry lead me to believe that it's all part of the racket.
    Last edited by rbaker; 11-30-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Thread Information