Thread: Is Spectara better or worse than...?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Is Spectara better or worse than...?

So, on of the largest employers in the city I'm in has switched their vision plan from VBA to Spectara, We currently do not take Spectara. But we do take Davis, Eyemed, VBA, and VSP. Looking at the reimbursments they sent me when they tried to recruit our office, they seem to be some of the highest among Vision plans. So, that's not the issue, what I want to know is what is it like to deal with them, how quick are their payments, do they get into the huge negative like Eyemed, or are they like Davis Vision where they sent you a bill every once in a while, or like VSP, where it's rare to have a negative EOB? How easy is it to order glasses? How easily can you to get a person when you have a question?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by jpways View Post
    So, on of the largest employers in the city I'm in has switched their vision plan from VBA to Spectara, We currently do not take Spectara. But we do take Davis, Eyemed, VBA, and VSP. Looking at the reimbursments they sent me when they tried to recruit our office, they seem to be some of the highest among Vision plans. So, that's not the issue, what I want to know is what is it like to deal with them, how quick are their payments, do they get into the huge negative like Eyemed, or are they like Davis Vision where they sent you a bill every once in a while, or like VSP, where it's rare to have a negative EOB? How easy is it to order glasses? How easily can you to get a person when you have a question?
    I ceased taking spectera several months ago, but doubt it is much different, so here are my answers:

How quick are their payments?
    -What payments?

Do they get into the huge negative like Eyemed?
    -I think SPECTERA invented the HUGE NEGATIVE. You will get nothing but negative if you do more than just exams.

How easy is it to order glasses?
    -Probably harder than Davis, but not as easy as the rest. It is a strict formulary, otherwise YOU WILL LOSE (more) MONEY.

How easily can you get a person to answer a question?
    -Super easy. Send an email via the provider online portal, and you may receive an email back many hours later. If they have an issue with an order you submitted on Monday, you might hear about it by Thursday.

They are a slightly better paying plan than DAVIS. Though DAVIS at least has the decency to send you the show frames, instead of using the stock you purchased.

***Forgot to add: none of this matters, if you have been following other threads. Spectera is owned by UHC, who will soon own Warby Parker, who will soon put all B&M locations out of business, meaning SPECTERA (and all the other vision plans) will have to resort to online REFRACTIONS and internet opticals to justify their premiums.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Forgot to add: none of this matters, if you have been following other threads. Spectera is owned by UHC, who will soon own Warby Parker, who will soon put all B&M locations out of business, meaning SPECTERA (and all the other vision plans) will have to resort to online REFRACTIONS and internet opticals to justify their premiums.
    Could you put some meat on those bones?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Could you put some meat on those bones?
    I think it was a small jab at our resident Chicken Little.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	980x.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	14144

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper UnitedHealth is united with Warby ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by pknsbeans View Post

***Forgot to add: none of this matters, if you have been following other threads. Spectera is owned by UHC, who will soon own Warby Parker, who will soon put all B&M locations out of business, meaning SPECTERA (and all the other vision plans) will have to resort to online REFRACTIONS and internet opticals to justify their premiums.

Using UnitedHealthcare at Warby Parker

Get a new pair for just the cost of your copay :-)

We now accept certain UnitedHealthcare vision insurance plans, and most members will be eligible for a pair of our prescription eyeglasses or sunglasses—single-vision or progressive lenses included—for just their copay. That’s normally $25 or less, total!

(Even more good news: You might be covered for an eye exam too.)

How it works

Your UnitedHealthcare vision benefits work differently at Warby Parker than they do at other providers. Here’s a breakdown of how much you could save, depending on what you’re shopping for:

Extra! Extra! (At no extra cost.)

Our optical lenses include anti-reflective, scratch-resistant, and smudge-resistant treatments, and our prescription sun lenses are scratch-resistant and polarized to reduce glare. All of our lenses block 100% of UVA and UVB rays.

Shipping, returns, and exchanges are all free, and every pair comes with a one-year no-scratch guarantee. (We’ll gladly replace your lenses if they do scratch within 12 months of purchase.)

See all of it:

https://ca.warbyparker.com/united

Thread Information