Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cat is out of the bag ………………………………….

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper The cat is out of the bag ………………………………….

First it was popping up on many news websites, about a week ago, and now in a lot of higher ranking websites of any type.

Alibaba takes the 2nd spot on the top eCommerce companies in the world list.

As it also publishes manufacturers names, details and pricing and it is accessible by anybody, with an internet connection.

It was initially lead by only 18 people, providing B2B and B2C services Alibaba takes the 2nd spot on the top eCommerce companies in the world list. Starting from selling goods that were produced by local people to international markets it have risen to a place where it has become global leader in online marketing.

t generates merchandise in large volumes that dominates Amazon and Ebay. It provides services like a search engine for hopping, data eccentric cloud computing services and also electronic payment services.

It also has 63% of online commercial trade in China. They provide infrastructural and technological products to merchants, brands, other businesses, small industries. They have their businesses expanding into core commerce, Digital media, Entertainment, Cloud computing. They also provide logistics support to local services sectors. Providing a platform to share social interactions among its consumers and merchants it is renowned as one big reason for flourishing small businesses houses in China.

It started expanding into the markets by always showing an increase in revenue by 3 digit percent every year. Two Alibaba’s portals have recorded a sales of 1.1 trillion Yuan in 2012. By 2014 the value of its assets has reached 231 US billion dollars. By 2016, it surpassed WalMart. It also encouraged the suppliers from various other countries but mainly concentrated in the suppliers from China. In order to achieve sustainability in long run, Business models and systems are built which lasts.

Revenue: $ 15.6 Billion

It publishes the products, manufacturers, pricing and minimum quantities at that price, including pictures with enlargements.

I have known Alibaba for many years and found quite a few connections, and customers in the Far East through them.

This will, or could change the optical retail world as we know it, and also show that the Online Optical’s still make money selling at lower pricing, contrary to many statements made right here on OptiBoard over the years.

Here are the direct access links for optical products, as frames and lenses:

Frames: 256 pages

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search...es&isPremium=y

Lenses:
    https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search...value=171-1153
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 11-12-2018 at 01:05 AM.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper China’s e-commerce Alibaba Group Holding has been making waves ......................

From Forbes Magazine

2,976 views Apr 18, 2018, 06:22 am

Alibaba Expands Its Influence In Asia With An Offline Touch

China’s e-commerce Alibaba Group Holding has been making waves with a big push to expand in Southeast Asia. Alibaba said last month it would double its investment in Singapore-headquartered regional e-commerce firm Lazada Group to a total of $4 billion, with the aims of accelerating growth the region and deepening Lazada’s integration into Alibaba’s ecosystem. It also announced this month that influential co-founder Lucy Peng would become Lazada’s CEO, adding to her title as Lazada chairman, and then further revealed that Peng would give up her additional job at Alibaba’s big online financial arm, Ant Financial, toconcentrate on Lazada.

Yet Alibaba has been expanding its influence in Southeast Asia through more than cash and leadership changes. A case in point is a new program that Alibaba co-hosted recently with a United Nations trade organization: the e Founders Fellowship. Some 37 spirited young entrepreneurs with an existing platform-based business in Southeast or South Asia traveled to Alibaba’s headquarters in the eastern Chinese city of Hangzhou for a 11-day training and networking program. Alibaba paid the Hangzhou expenses; attendees covered their own air fare and visa expense. Participant stalked about e-commerce, payment, logistics and big data, learned about the impact of e-commerce on technology in China-- Asia’s biggest economy, and exchanged ideas that could be applied at home. They also visited key Alibaba leaders and platforms such as Cainiao, Tmall, Hema and Fliggy.

Continue:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/russell.../#28bdfa1b6f0e

Last edited by Chris Ryser; 11-11-2018 at 02:49 AM.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper advertising by Alibaba on weather channel ..................................

I have just checked checked our daily weather on
    https://weather.com/weather/today/l/CAXX1990:1:CA

and it is full with eyeglass frame models offered through Alibaba.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper CNBC Exclusive interview with Daniel Zhang, Group CEO, Alibaba.......................

CNBC Transcript: Daniel Zhang, Group CEO, Alibaba
    Published 12:28 AM ET Fri, 9 Nov 2018 CNBC.com

Below is the transcript of a CNBC Exclusive interview with Daniel Zhang, Group CEO, Alibaba. The interview was first broadcast on CNBC's Squawk Box Asia on 9 November 2018.

All references must be sourced to a "CNBC Interview'.

Interviewed by CNBC's Arjun Kharpal

Arjun: Daniel you joined Alibaba back in 2007. When you thought about what e-commerce would become all these years, when you look at 2018 now, has your expectations been met or have you been surprised?

Zhang: I joined Alibaba in 2007. I thought e-commerce would have a bright future. That was the key reason why I joined Alibaba - because I was then an online shopper already, and I thought more and more people would enjoy this, and especially young people, and with the penetration of internet, we will have more online shoppers. So that's why - that's a starting point, I joined Alibaba. But I think 11 years later, when we look back, I would say how e-commerce changed the life of the consumers - the impact is even bigger than what I expected, and this is not only about the shopping, it's about the whole lifestyle. And today, many millennials are living on the internet and they don't go to the brick and mortars. They don't go to the shopping malls but they live online. And I think if you look at the people even younger, I mean teenagers, internet to them is more like water, electricity; when they were born, this is there. So I think over time people will rely more on the life of the internet.

see all of it:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/09/cnbc...o-alibaba.html

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Zhang

..........................And today, many millennials are living on the internet and they don't go to the brick and mortars. They don't go to the shopping malls but they live online. And I think if you look at the people even younger, I mean teenagers, internet to them is more like water, electricity; when they were born, this is there. So I think over time people will rely more on the life of the internet.

................and the B&M optician should better start thinking about above statement.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yawn. Wake me when the singularity occurs.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Technological singularity .....................................

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post

posted 11-22-201811-22-2018, 02:00 AM

answered 48 hours later

sin·gu·lar·i·ty
    /ˌsiNGɡyəˈlerədē/
    noun

Technological singularity

The technological singularity is the hypothesis that the invention of artificial super intelligence will abruptly trigger runaway technological growth, resulting in unfathomable changes to human civilization. Wikipedia

Occupation

Redhot Jumper .............................it has happened, and here it is five days later

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post

The technological singularity is the hypothesis that the invention of artificial super intelligence will abruptly trigger runaway technological growth, resulting in unfathomable changes to human civilization. Wikipedia

.............................it has happened, and here it is five days later:

United Health Insurance, is steering 2 million eyeglass customers to *Warby Parker* for eyeglasses at a very low expense.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Yawn. Wake me when .........................................

Originally Posted by Tallboy

Warby Parker has received the contract with UnitedHealth, the largest health insurance in the USA, and is hitting the inter- network waves with the news.

They are talking about 2 million possible new customers. which is not "peanuts".

WP is also betting on catching the newest consumer group of *elder-lies*, replacing the ones that started their life without the web.

They purchase their frames and lenses directly from the original producers overseas, and therefore can still make a decent profit on much lower retail selling prices.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

moved

Last edited by Chris Ryser; 12-06-2018 at 06:00 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Sometimes I go and look at who is online, and what post they are looking at that exact time and in the history of OptiBoard.

So a couple of days ago I ended up at a post with nearly 70 single posts about myself, some 8 years ago and that I had totally forgotten, that it ever happened during a rough time in my personal life.

Thread:
    Where is ryser, 10-19-2010, 01:06 PM post #67C,

I had been for a regular quarterly checkup at my Cardiologist, who sent me for more checks to the hospital next door, right then and there, and where they decided I was an emergency, and kept me there.

The following day I woke up seven hours later than having been put asleep at 7.30 am with a new heart valve and some more plumbing jobs.

That is what triggered that post I had totally forgotten:
    https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...-s-Ryser/page3

Tomorrow we will leave for our winter home in Naples Florida, which will take some three days or a bit more, so no big fuss is needed about Ryser's disappearance, I will be back here.

Chris, it is you that makes this a forum and informative.
    It is you that digs for facts for fun and shares them.
    It is you that provides a never ending dialogue of opinions.
    It is you that openly shares your experiences in both life and career.
    It is you that has the highest tenure in an optical career on this entire board.
    It is you that has lived through the history of our entire industry changing and evolving.

Whether people agree with your opinions or not, you are stellar.
    You are the early morning 'Ryser' and post serendipitous thoughts each morning.
    You and David Rips, President of Younger Optics are tops in my books and have earned my respect.

Peace, health, safe travels and longevity to all.

Occupation

Thumbs up Lab Insight....................

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

Peace, health, safe travels and longevity to all.

Lab Insight......................and a very humble and deep thank you for your post.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Lab Insight......................and a very humble and deep thank you for your post.

Occupation

Blue Jumper We finally made it to Naples FL ...............................

We finally made it to Naples FL after 4 days on the road, driving through the worst of weather, you would only wish you enemy.

Snow, slush and rain from Virginia to the middle of Georgia and the rain in most of Florida blessed by cool temperatures.

However the heat went on at night and it was nice to sit outside yesterday afternoon.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    We finally made it to Naples FL after 4 days on the road, driving through the worst of weather, you would only wish you enemy.

Snow, slush and rain from Virginia to the middle of Georgia and the rain in most of Florida blessed by cool temperatures.

However the heat went on at night and it was nice to sit outside yesterday afternoon.
    Glad to hear you arrived safe. Just getting out of Montreal is a nightmare in itself.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I have just checked our daily weather on
    https://weather.com/weather/today/l/CAXX1990:1:CA

and it is full with eyeglass frame models offered through Alibaba.
    Hi Chris
    The advertisement you saw on the weather page, was running by Google Adsense.
    Once you visited the Alibaba website, the cookies files will record your behavior on that website. With remarketing Google Ad tools, it can delivery ADs to any other websites who signed Google Adsense plan.

The tricky part is
    Such AD is very precise, perfect potential customers, and precise content.
    The remarketing AD cost is based on each 1K presentation, very low cost.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

Glad to hear you arrived safe. Just getting out of Montreal is a nightmare in itself.

It is still worse in other ways down south.............................

Internet was working................telephone did not, as usual every year, 2 lines that did not work. Comcast cost me about four days of running around.

One telephone line is now working since yesterday. Last week my computer decided to drop dead on me, after close to 10 years of good service.

Had to get a new computer on Sunday and set it up, and I am back online, and face the usual complications that no other system recognizes it as being me.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Thanks for that information, that makes good sense ...............................

Quote Originally Posted by William Wong View Post

Hi Chris
    The advertisement you saw on the weather page, was running by Google Adsense.
    Once you visited the Alibaba website, the cookies files will record your behavior on that website. With remarketing Google Ad tools, it can delivery ADs to any other websites who signed Google Adsense plan.

The tricky part is
    Such AD is very precise, perfect potential customers, and precise content.
    The remarketing AD cost is based on each 1K presentation, very low cost.

Thanks for that information, that makes good sense ...............................

I have used Alibaba for many years, checked back on them, and found that they now rank no 3 of all commercial sites.

They are a good wake up call for the optical retail world in North America, showing product pricing and value straight at the manufacturing level .

Occupation

Redhot Jumper However it is interesting to go through their website:

However it is interesting to go through their website in any product range you desire and find hundreds of manufacturers.

check it out yourself:

https://www.alibaba.com/products/eyeglasses.html

Occupation

Redhot Jumper We should be a bit more open to the facts of life ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post

There are cheap knock offs of basically every consumer product, eyeglass frames inlcuded, on alibaba and aliexpress - so around 92200 of the 93000 frames listed are garbage - enjoy spending your days sifting through to find something decent. Alibaba is actually one of the least effective consumer "price discovery" tools in my opinion, and people are wising up to the old adage that if it sounds too good to be true....

Try to find a Lunor or Lindberg frame on the web. In particular try to find the same model/size/color that you just tried on in a shop....

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...Opticals/page2

....................to come, back to Alibaba which is not a consumer site as most of its advertisers are the original manufacturers of any type products advertised from A.....to.....Z .

However it does show the pricing the manufacturers charge at the point of origin and you can figure about what the markups are at the local retail market.

We should be a bit more open to the facts of life and see the threats for a change of the system as it has existed for many years, specially now that this year the Essilux will seriously start to change the world of optics to suit their taste of operations.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris, suppose someone found a frame that they want to buy from Alibaba and they could buy just 1 for $4 , how much would they pay after import fees and shipping ?

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Optical frame manufacturers will advertise their frames model by model .............

Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post

Chris, suppose someone found a frame that they want to buy from Alibaba and they could buy just 1 for $4 , how much would they pay after import fees and shipping ?

Here is what I know about shipping overseas of small items ................................ from advertising on the alibaba.com.

alibaba.com does not sell anything, it advertises paid ads, for manufacturers of all types of items you can imagine.

Optical frame manufacturers will advertise their frames model by model at a certain price ex factory, also stating what their minimum orders are, they will accept. They also state on their ads that they are accepted manufacturers for deliveries to certain countries as the USA.

These days, they have everything organized and ship at special rates (inexpensive) by all the big shipping companies as UPS/Fedex and others on a world wide basis.

International shipping has drastically changed, over the last few years, is faster, cheaper and less complicated to import than before.

In order to get the exact information you would have to contact some of the manufacturers, and get some detailed delivery information from them.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Chris, suppose someone found a frame that they want to buy from Alibaba .............

..............i am not familiar with USA import regulations, but you will for sure have to pay the import-customs duties which usually are a percentage of the total value, which could be between 20 or 30% plus the transport charges, and could put up your cost by another $ 4.00 max.

Here is the link on imports from China:

https://www.chinaimportal.com/blog/i...-eyewear-china

Occupation

Blue Jumper you are NOT buying from alibaba ....................................

one more thing...........................

you are NOT buying from alibaba, you are buying from the manufacturer or wholesaler. They all have now contracts with UPS/FEDEX ect. for a 2 or 3 day delivery that includes transport and customs clearing at the destination, that you pay at point of purchase.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 02-11-2019 at 01:30 AM.

Occupation

Blue Jumper .......................................one more thing is important

.......................................one more thing is important when importing is to make sure the seller is registered in the country of destination, and his products are accepted for import.

Thread Information