Thread: Shoppers Optical

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Shoppers Optical

Who owns the opticals in Shoppers Drugmart? They are stunning!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Then figure out who is heavily involved ………………

Quote Originally Posted by haliopt View Post

Who owns the opticals in Shoppers Drugmart? They are stunning!

go on their website and scroll down to the frame brand names and they are all Luxottica.

As a vertically integrated company, Luxottica designs, manufactures, distributes and retails its eyewear brands, including LensCrafters, Sunglass Hut, Apex by Sunglass Hut, Pearle Vision, Sears Optical, Target Optical, Eyemed vision care plan, and Glasses.com. Its best known brands are Ray-Ban, Persol, and Oakley.

then scroll some more some more
    and see the main Essilor brands

Then figure out who is heavily involved ………………….

see at:
    https://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/...oducts-optical

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    go on their website and scroll down to the frame brand names and they are all Luxottica.

As a vertically integrated company, Luxottica designs, manufactures, distributes and retails its eyewear brands, including LensCrafters, Sunglass Hut, Apex by Sunglass Hut, Pearle Vision, Sears Optical, Target Optical, Eyemed vision care plan, and Glasses.com. Its best known brands are Ray-Ban, Persol, and Oakley.

then scroll some more some more
    and see the main Essilor brands

Then figure out who is heavily involved ………………….

see at:
    https://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/...oducts-optical
    Chris,

SDM is testing the optical store concept with a few key locations. They have not yet jumped in with both feet and are still just a toe in the water.

Their business model is completely driven by brand name recognition, and seems to be working so far. They are very expensive IMHO and other than shopping convenience are not a value proposition company. They seek extremely high profit margins on everything they sell, including groceries.

They may be affiliated to some degree for supply chain purposes, but are most definitely not owned or partially owned by EssiLux. Also, I know a couple of current owners and most of their stores are franchised.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks, Lab Insight,
    Soooo, Who are the owners?

Occupation

Blue Jumper Soooo, Who are the owners? ................................

Thanks, Lab Insight,
    Acquisition by Loblaw Companies.

On July 15, 2013, Loblaw Companies announced that it would acquire Shoppers Drug Mart for $12.4 billion, pending shareholder and regulatory approval. The deal was approved by the Competition Bureau on March 21, 2014, and completed March 28, 2014.

Occupation
    Thanks, Lab Insight,
    A corporation is owned by its stockholders. You too can become a shareholder of Shoppers Drugmart and share in the profits of the business by purchasing a few shares of stock. There is also no reason why you cant become an owner of the Eyecare Mafia. Its the American way and also most likely still the Canadian way.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Okay, they are franchised. They are independently owned. I will change my inquiry. Who is the industry person, partner, or company that set up the stores, staffed them and placed the O.D.s? Is there an affiliation to a company, buying group or industry person? Is Shoppers managing, is the stock mart running the show or is Bob Loblaws personally the go-to guy? lol
    If I wanted to mail a letter to the person or company that is the "running" Shoppers Drugmart optical, what person or company name would I address the letter to?
    They are gorgeous.
    Shoppers Drug Mart Corporation is a Canadian retail pharmacy chain based in Toronto, Ontario. It has more than 1,300 stores operating under the names Shoppers Drug Mart in nine provinces and two territories and Pharmaprix in Quebec.

Occupation

Confused I did some work for you ............................

lol
    If I wanted to mail a letter to the person or company that is the "running" Shoppers Drugmart optical, what person or company name would I address the letter to?
    They are gorgeous.
    Shoppers Drug Mart Corporation is a Canadian retail pharmacy chain based in Toronto, Ontario.

I did some work for you ............................

As I have no direct answer you can call them and find out at the following numbers:

For further information:

Media Contact:
    Tammy Smitham
    Director, Communications & Corporate Affairs
    (416) 490-2892, or
    corporateaffairs@shoppersdrugmart.ca
    (416) 493-1220, ext. 5500

Investor Relations:
    (416) 493-1220, ext. 5678
    investorrelations@shoppersdrugmart.ca

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Okay, they are franchised. They are independently owned. I will change my inquiry. Who is the industry person, partner, or company that set up the stores, staffed them and placed the O.D.s? Is there an affiliation to a company, buying group or industry person? Is Shoppers managing, is the stock mart running the show or is Bob Loblaws personally the go-to guy? lol
    They are gorgeous.
    Shoppers Drug Mart Corporation is a Canadian retail pharmacy chain based in Toronto, Ontario. It has more than 1,300 stores operating under the names Shoppers Drug Mart in nine provinces and two territories and Pharmaprix in Quebec.

Both franchisees I know are pharmacists and each is invested over $2M. It is not possible to own just the optical and not the rest of the store. Also, they will not just lease out the space for such. It's an all-in poker game.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks, Lab Insight. WoW.
    The quality materials, design, inventory, and O.D. equipment. I could see 2M. The 10-year loan.
    I would like to see that proforma!
    Last edited by haliopt; 11-11-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Lab Insight. WoW.
    The quality materials, design, inventory, and O.D. equipment. I could see 2M. The 10-year payout, 10-year loan. I could think of a couple of businesses that would be less to start and with a faster payback. ( I think I could )
    Just to be clear, both owners I know do not contain optical dispensaries, so I'm not sure what the additional cost would entail, but would be quite large I'm sure.

Their initial investment was just to get approval as a franchisee. To be considered, a potential franchisee must have substantial liquid assets up front, the rest is borrowed.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Time to wait and see.............................................

haliopt ..................

You better think it all over.....................

Then maybe you will find another way of making a decent profit in the optical by checking all the changes that are happening now and the near future.

With Alibaba.com (see the other threads on it), having made a big entrance into the western world over the last week, and disclosing manufactures pricing of lenses and frames at source, should or will become a big impact.

Furthermore Essilor-Luxottica will get re-organized within their 10,000+ retail stores and the majority of online optical sales companies to what we don t know yet.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks, Chris.

Thread Information