Thread: Thoughts on optical store without an optometrist on premise?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thoughts on optical store without an optometrist on premise?

What are you thoughts on an optical store an optometrist on premise?

Will the business fail?

Currently which optical store are going this path?

The only one I can think of is Sunglasses Hut but they only sell sunglasses, so might be different situation than mine.

What if I tell my customer to get an eye exam next block down and come back with an RX and I’ll give them a $30 discount? Would that work?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by nyc_optician View Post

Will the business fail?

What if I tell my customer to get an eye exam next block down and come back with an RX and I’ll give them a $30 discount? Would that work?

In most countries around the globe, a government licensed Master optician (or equivalent) is licensed to refract, some have even now progressed to the title optometrist, while the also licensed optician does not. Most optical businesses have their owner Optician or manager with the master title.

In British Columbia, Canada, the dispensing optician can now also refract, see OptiBoard sponsor.

Opticians in Europe will get referrals from ophthalmologists, while also refracting themselves.

In your area you must be surrounded by optical retailers that are combined with an optometrist, in the store or next to it.

In your area you must be surrounded by optical retailers that are combined with an optometrist, in the store or next to it.

If you are offering an independent optometrist $ 30.00 commission I could go and make an offer for $ 35.00, if he steers the patients my way, and I probably could win.

The best way would be to have one right next door, one floor above, or across the street. Find one that is a new graduate and looks for a job.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    In most countries around the globe, a government licensed Master optician (or equivalent) is licensed to refract, some have even now progressed to the title optometrist, while the also licensed optician does not. Most optical businesses have their owner Optician or manager with the master title.

In British Columbia, Canada, the dispensing optician can now also refract, see OptiBoard sponsor.

Opticians in Europe will get referrals from ophthalmologists, while also refracting themselves.

If you are offering an independent optometrist $ 30.00 commission I could go and make an offer for $ 35.00, if he steers the patients my way, and I probably could win.

The best way would be to have one right next door, one floor above, or across the street. Find one that is a new graduate and looks for a job.
    Is there an echo in here? ............................................................ ...........................

............................................................ ..

Occupation

Blue Jumper However it being a Saturday night with all its goodies ..............................

Quote Originally Posted by Quig View Post

Is there an echo in here? ............................................................ ...........................

Looks like there is no echo in here, as you say.

However it being a Saturday night with all its goodies, could be just one reason for younger ones.

Or they could have been be hired by the scouts of some large multinational corporation, right of the school grounds, to work in one of their many retail locations.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_optician View Post

Will the business fail?

The only one I can think of is Sunglasses Hut but they only sell sunglasses, so might be different situation than mine.

The business will not fail simply because it does not have a doctor. There are plenty of examples out there of this exact set-up. Are doctor owned optical shops more profitable? Absolutely.

Don't cheapen yourself by offering discounts for people to come back. Sell yourself instead and make them realize that you are the better choice. Every area is different, but most people tend to shop around. Show off what product and knowledge you have to offer and be confident.

I would also suggest getting a feel for the local doctors. Figure out who you would send your own family and friends to and send people there. It doesn't always have to be whoever is next door. People are willing to travel for a better doctor.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My shop has been open nearly ten years without a doctor. I know my market and provide things others don't. I work hard to provide good value and the word gets around that I can be trusted to be fair.

Every single year I've been open has had a double digit percentage increase in gross revenue and profit.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post

My shop has been open nearly ten years without a doctor.

Every single year I've been open has had a double digit percentage increase in gross revenue and profit.

..............................here is the proof that it can be done without.

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    See what makes the independents successful and emulate them. It can be done.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Don't cheapen yourself by offering discounts for people to come back. Sell yourself instead and make them realize that you are the better choice. Every area is different, but most people tend to shop around. Show off what product and knowledge you have to offer and be confident.

Occupation
    If you are a "real" Independent Optician and know your cookies you should be able to thrive with the proper business process. Avoid the Eyeglass Mafia especially third party payees and insurance plans and stand on your own two feet. Maintain ethical relations with local OD's and MD's. Stress the ethics of your independence in your advertising. Avoid "schemes," "deals" and "brainstorms." Be patient, work hard and always do the right thing.

A successful independent operation will separate the men from the boys.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    If you are a "real" Independent Optician and know your cookies you should be able to thrive with the proper business process. Avoid the Eyeglass Mafia especially third party payees and insurance plans and stand on your own two feet. Maintain ethical relations with local OD's and MD's. Stress the ethics of your independence in your advertising. Avoid "schemes," "deals" and "brainstorms." Be patient, work hard and always do the right thing.

A successful independent operation will separate the men from the boys.
    Well said!

Work HARD for your customers. Do the RIGHT thing. Treat them WELL and show them a VALUE, and follow up the sale with fantastic SERVICE and they'll loyally support your business. Seems so damn simple...

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Well said!

Work HARD for your customers. Do the RIGHT thing.Treat them WELL and show them a VALUE, and follow up the sale with fantastic SERVICE and they'll loyally support your business. Seems so damn simple...

...................but you forgot the ........... be professional

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    ...................but you forgot the ........... be professional
    Good gawd man.

So, tell me... after that list what do you think the chances are I run my business in an unprofessional manner?

............................. but.......................... thanks for the advice.

And at least it wasn't cut, pasted and repeated. And low an behold, you forgot to mention Alibaba!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Work HARD for your customers. Do the RIGHT thing. Treat them WELL and show them a VALUE, and follow up the sale with fantastic SERVICE and they'll loyally support your business. Seems so damn simple...
    Right Quig. It is simple, but not easy. Just like losing weight, saving money, etc. Everyone's always looking for quick fixes, easy things to do to make great gains. Well, there are no quick fixes, to dieting, saving, or earning. Just gotta do the simple hard work.

Thread Information