Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    We knew how to hand-cut patterns.
    I sooooo do not miss that!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Brass guages. Man, I forgot about those. Yeah, we had several sets of those. Nothing more rewarding than rocking a saddleback to perfection. Of course, my lab coat was saturated with cerium oxide by the end of the day. Ahhh, memories.
    How about pitch and a bucket of gasoline. Everyone used pitch for blocking back in the days of glass lenses (can you just imagine pitch blocking a poly carbonate lens?) We also used pitch laps for precision work or out of range curves. We had an oven and on occasion fabricated fused bifocals with non-stock adds or prism. All of this stuff without a lens generator - just a hand pan.

Those were the days. Today its "sorry, no can do."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    How about pitch and a bucket of gasoline. Everyone used pitch for blocking back in the days of glass lenses (can you just imagine pitch blocking a poly carbonate lens?) We also used pitch laps for precision work or out of range curves. We had an oven and on occasion fabricated fused bifocals with non-stock adds or prism. All of this stuff without a lens generator - just a hand pan.

Those were the days. Today its "sorry, no can do."
    Probably should have an "Old Timers Forum" Not many people today know what we're talking about.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper ....................definitely no way, for any "Old Timers Forum",

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post

Probably should have an "Old Timers Forum" Not many people today know what we're talking about.

....................definitely no way, for any "Old Timers Forum",

..........as many of the regular posters that have also joined many years ago, and still have the experience of having learned and worked the old ways, without the help of computerized equipment, but with their hands, fingers and brains, and still remember it, they do not have to be classified as obsolete, into their own little corner.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Guess I was a little late to the party. Heard about pitch blocking, but never got a chance to be indoctrinated. I was using Rocket spray, 158 alloy and pella oil in my 113. Monthly scraping of the oily waste and itching for weeks after. I do not miss that at all!
    Fun part was training newbies on how not to generate PGX. Boom. Fire ball blowing the lid of the 113 off. Ha! Once the newbies got comfortable and a bit cocky, I would blow up a paper bag, sneak up behind them, and pop the bag. The reactions were always priceless.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you want a better price from Hoya, you should just ask for one. It works for me.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would absolutely listen to an oldtimers podcast filled with the best of this board. I'm 40, life wasn't a straight line even when I tried. I'm not scared to say optics saved my life. You guys, the ones that have passed on and the ones still here, are a glittering diamond (actually diamonds have way too high of an abbe value to describe you).

I am an owner of a business, I've passed tests and the test of being an Optician in the wild wild west of an unlicensed state. If I never meet you folks in person, women and men out there (Jacqui thanks for the tips on the Franklins, Ryser you get out of control with the copy pasta sometimes but I have much love for you bro. I still wonder why your vinegar siloxane spray isn't readily available in america. Robert, Barry, Harry, Dr. K, Uncle, Lenny, DarryI, dragonmanWV, hope you know how much you guys have helped me. )

To the rest of you keep your segs straight, don't complain to your doctors if you can solve it yourself, appreciate your patients/clients happy and protect them, they are your greatest ally if this optical life is the one you have chosen.

I am pledging that I will NEVER let optiboard die.

Tallboy #mynameisIan #keepyoursegsstraight #thanks #niceglasses #IforgotFezz

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Ryser you get out of control with the copy pasta sometimes ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy

Ryser you get out of control with the copy pasta sometimes but I have much love for you bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy
    I still wonder why your vinegar siloxane spray isn't readily available in america.
    …………………..and I love you too

Finding the information is the most time consuming, copy and pasta is easier than writing the same thing all over again and maybe even make some mistakes doing so.

Stop wondering about my vinegar siloxane spray, you might be looking at it several times a day, inside your car's dashboard, if you drive the brand, that is among the 85% that are applying it since 2007.

This message was no copy and pasta ……………………………
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 11-29-2018 at 01:25 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your spray is fantastic Chris, I have no idea why it isn't easy for me to get in the USA.

I think I had a few too many last night and got a little sentimental after reading my post.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper I have no idea why it isn't easy for me to get in the USA............................

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post

Your spray is fantastic Chris, I have no idea why it isn't easy for me to get in the USA.

That spray including all the others, went with the sale of my formulas, when I retired last year.

The distributor I had in the USA, for many years, got sold to the staff a few years back, and they closed it down three years later. So we shipped directly out of Canada, with the free trade agreement between the countries made it easy.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    If you want a better price from Hoya, you should just ask for one. It works for me.
    They are desperate and selling on low price now a days. I can't list the costs or the moderators get peaved. So much for the high quality, high price marketing strategy!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok... so I totally just got the rug pulled out under me. Just spoke to my Seiko rep and apparently he just found out the Seiko is no longer in the frames business! So we have all these Seiko frames and we're stuck with them. I always liked the quality of them and had no problems with breakages. Any idea who would be a good replacement for Seiko titanium? I am really shocked about this. Anyone else hear anything about this???

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Ok... so I totally just got the rug pulled out under me. Just spoke to my Seiko rep and apparently he just found out the Seiko is no longer in the frames business! So we have all these Seiko frames and we're stuck with them. I always liked the quality of them and had no problems with breakages. Any idea who would be a good replacement for Seiko titanium? I am really shocked about this. Anyone else hear anything about this???
    Seiko is still available outside of North America. They pulled out of the NA market. My guess is that Asian fit has not been very lucrative here. We have pulled all of our products and returned them for credit.
    Yes, they were good frames, but not extraordinary. Most were designed for flatter BCs, in line with with the myopic boom in Asia. We will miss the Asian fit. Mondottica might be worth checking out if you are in need of Asian fit styles.

Occupation
    The Seiko eye ware website has not been renewed for over a year. Last date in 2017. http://seikoeyewear.com/frame.html

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone have any recommend any small titanium? For high minus (-8.00 and higher?) Or even for petite adults that have to have titanium. I do carry Charmant and Silhouette, but they tend to be larger, or drill mounts. Any suggestions?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Anyone have any recommend any small titanium? For high minus (-8.00 and higher?) Or even for petite adults that have to have titanium. I do carry Charmant and Silhouette, but they tend to be larger, or drill mounts. Any suggestions?
    Lindberg makes tons of sizes and has a teen/kids line, but that is a huge commitment to try and bring in. Worth it in my opinion, YMMV.

OVVO optics makes some smaller frames, less cost and easier buy-in than Lindberg.

Both of these lines require grooving the lenses if that makes any difference to you. They don't have full metal bevel mounts.

Masunaga has some smaller titanium frames in full bevel mounts.

All of theses are going to be more expensive that what Seiko was, I imagine.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you! I will keep these in mind!

Thread Information