Thread: I'm looking for a new primary lab

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier I'm looking for a new primary lab

I don't know if this is just me, but I have been having a really hard year with labs. I've used the top 3 indie (Walman, DEL, Luzerne) they all have their plusses and minuses. I'm looking for a lab similar to DEL (Digital Eye Lab) with a stock-to-edge option that can also do FTs. I know what you are thinking flat-tops really? yes really. This is my experience and my experience only, but I can tell you my experience thus far:
    Walman - quick turn around, but adheres to ANSI (I'm in NJ which can be a problem)
    DEL - seems good, but won't read your notes and apparently don't listen to their own rep either; also they don't do FT- (28s, 35s etc...) which is bonkers.
    Luzerne - I've used them for close to 6 years and have been most satisfied with. (they're usually spot on w/ axis.) I would brag that I didn't need my axis pliers any longer because Luzerne was so good. I've had a rather bad hiccup that cost me 2 patients due to timing issues. In other words, even though my rep was kind enough to offer me a voucher, the patients I believe aren't coming back (the jobs took over a month to get and pt had to cx order on me). So I learned to not put all my eggs in the Luzerne basket hence my search.

I would do Laramy-K, but I need a lab that does finishing.

I'm trying to remain an indie lab supporter but I'm really having a hard time. (I've reached out to HOYA so I guess we'll see - even though I know they aren't an indie lab)
    I need a lab that:
    has a stock-to-edge option (for SV)
    Can comply with NJ State tolerances.
    Has a decent turn-around time (a week to up to a week and a half would be fine).
    Pricing has to be OK too (doesn't have to be the cheapest, but not the most expensive either)
    Any takers? (I think I'm being fair)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only one I can think of that you haven't mentioned, would be Three Rivers Optical. If my memory serves me correctly you'd have about 15-20% initial non-compliance with NJ standards (ANSI correct but NJ unacceptable), but I'd say talk to them to see if they have experience with the stricter standards. My turnaround time with them is 4-8 business days, but its only a 75 minute drive from the practice I work at to the lab. Though when we used Luzerne it was, in general, similar turnaround times.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper ST lenses from a surfacing lab ..............................

I would do Laramy-K, but I need a lab that does finishing.

I need a lab that:

Pricing has to be OK too (doesn't have to be the cheapest, but not the most expensive either)

…………………..question

if you need stock lenses, as everybody, who is equipped for edging does, what is the reason you do not purchase the “straight top lenses uncut, and save money that way ?

Why don’t you just get the cylindrical ST lenses from a surfacing lab ?

You can always purchase SV lenses from an independent distributor, and probably even uncut spherical ST lenses to save Money.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvaro Cordova View Post
    I need a lab that:
    Has a decent turn-around time (a week to up to a week and a half would be fine).

Any takers? (I think I'm being fair)

Not positive about the first couple of requirements, but Cherry Optical out of Green Bay can certainly do the 2nd two- and they do FTs. I would highly recommend them. They are very helpful (they do have flaws at times, as no lab can be perfect) and have great pricing. We ordered a job yesterday afternoon, without AR, and received it today (uncut, obviously, though they do finishing work.)

Added bonus- they have an amazing warranty and redo policy.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    …………………..question

if you need stock lenses, as everybody, who is equipped for edging does, what is the reason you do not purchase the “straight top lenses uncut, and save money that way ?

Why don’t you just get the cylindrical ST lenses from a surfacing lab ?

You can always purchase SV lenses from an independent distributor, and probably even uncut spherical ST lenses to save Money.
    I have an edger that is way too old and simply can't work with modern lenses (Briot Scanform 5000S). I simply don't use it since the edger can sometimes go crazy and just eats lenses. Basically, I need a new edger.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Alvaro, All labs are going to have a hiccup now and then, just the same as you and I do. Lab hopping is not going to solve the occasional issue, it will be a different issue with a different lab. You will never chase down the "perfect" lab.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    Alvaro, All labs are going to have a hiccup now and then, just the same as you and I do. Lab hopping is not going to solve the occasional issue, it will be a different issue with a different lab. You will never chase down the "perfect" lab.
    That's fair. I'm not stopping to use any labs yet, Just figured I'd look into what's out there.
    I use Walman exclusively for Eyemed jobs since I'd rather an indie get as much the bucks/business than Essilor-Lux. I definitely still use Luzerne, but I've come to the conclusion that I do need more than just one lab.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use K-Optical in Hummelstown, PA. They are independent.

http://www.k-optical.com/

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Check with Allentown Optical out of Allentown P.A. I have had good results with them. Owned by multiple Opticians, knowledgeable owners. Denise is the go to girl....

Thread Information