Thread: VSP to start accepting Maui Jim products in network JAN 2019

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

VSP to start accepting Maui Jim products in network JAN 2019

Starting January 2019, VSP will let you bill Maui Jim products in network.

Jobs processed through VSP will include the Maui Jim laboratory as an option.

VSP Premier offices will receive an additional 5% off wholesale Maui Jim products.

Was told by the MJ rep VSP reached out to Maui Jim regarding this alliance.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    im sorry, what?

can you elaborate. my brain shut off reading that statement.

Maui frames can be used for VSP product? Or Maui lenses will have the same copays as VSP product upgrades...

I cant see it.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My Maui rep told me this was coming a few weeks ago, but did not know the exact starting timeframe.

merrymaker: Maui will be considered "in-network" with VSP, you bill through VSP with the paitent's VSP benefits, but the patient gets authentic Maui Product through Maui Jim.

KING: Do we have an official press release from Maui or VSP for this?
    Last edited by GrahamEye; 10-25-2018 at 07:08 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That would be interesting.

VSP labs are pretty terrible when it comes to anything remotely different...they always seem to be sending stuff to "specialty labs" for that kind of stuff. So they certainly won't be making the lenses.

Maui Jim's labs are going to accept dog-crap payment for their baked-potato-with-butter-chives-sour cream-bacon bits-salt-n-pepper lenses? I find that surprising.

BTW, where is MJ lab? Peoria? How many do they have? https://careers.mauijim.com/meet-our-ohana/rx-lab/

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...px8wEnoECAIQCw

So for those of us who don't do Maui Jim (anymore, in my case)...Is MJ still doing the "you need four dozen super-expensive plano sunglasses in your office even though you're going to be Rx-ing most of them" policy? Because they were really greedy and crazy expensive last time I carried them. What's more, you do all this work for the Rx lenses and the margins were NOT commensurate.
    Last edited by drk; 10-25-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper That would be interesting.....................................

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

How many do they have?

You can look it up at:

https://www.vspone.com/Locations.htm

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

VSP labs are pretty terrible when it comes to anything remotely different...they always seem to be sending stuff to "specialty labs" for that kind of stuff. So they certainly won't be making the lenses.

Maui Jim's labs are going to accept dog-crap payment for their baked-potato-with-butter-chives-sour cream-bacon bits-salt-n-pepper lenses? I find that surprising.

BTW, where is MJ lab? Peoria? How many do they have? https://careers.mauijim.com/meet-our-ohana/rx-lab/

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...px8wEnoECAIQCw

So for those of us who don't do Maui Jim (anymore, in my case)...Is MJ still doing the "you need four dozen super-expensive plano sunglasses in your office even though you're going to be Rx-ing most of them" policy? Because they were really greedy and crazy expensive last time I carried them. What's more, you do all this work for the Rx lenses and the margins were NOT commensurate.
    We've sold Maui for years. They increased their prices massively this year, and they were already too expensive. Our 40 piece stand broke 2 months ago. They won't repair it, they just want us to get an 80 piece stand ��

Margins are awful too.

I've gone from Maui's biggest fan to realising they just aren't worth the money. And their service isn't anything special now...

Significantly, I also think there's better sun lenses on the market (drivewear for example)

You did well to drop it.

Occupation
    I have sold Maui Jim for 15 years, (California) and have never went through any of the things I'm reading here.

I have about 75 frames in stock and my rep is fantastic.

Their lab is in Illinois, and even PAL's with all their fancy smancy coatings are about a 3 day turnaround.

I just got my first pair of RX Maui's and the clarity is great.

As far as the margins go, ehhh, but definitely more profitable than contacts, and we ALL sell those. Maybe because this is sunny Southern Cali, the demand for this house brand of shades is far more vast.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    King: that's pretty apples to oranges, no? It's pretty easy to supply contact lenses.

Do you sell much plano Maui?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm 100% with King on this. Maui's quality and service times are unbeatable in the industry, for what they do and the level at which they do it. I've sold them for almost 25 years as well, and they're every bit as easy to work with today as when I started. Now, that said, I find some of their new lens colors and mirrors to be downright silly...but the quality aspect has always been there. From a lab work standpoint, they're the very antithesis of Davis/Spectera.
    Last edited by Uilleann; 10-30-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Maui's quality and service times are unbeatable in the industry .....................

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Lab View Post

I have sold Maui Jim for 15 years, (California) and have never went through any of the things I'm reading here.

Their lab is in Illinois, and even PAL's with all their fancy smancy coatings are about a 3 day turnaround.

Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=#3E3E3E
    Uilleann[/COLOR]]

I'm 100% with King on this. Maui's quality and service times are unbeatable in the industry, for what they do and the level at which they do it. I've sold them for almost 25 years as well, and they're every bit as east to work with today as when I started.

....................refreshing to see also some positive comments

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    I'm 100% with King on this. Maui's quality and service times are unbeatable in the industry, for what they do and the level at which they do it. I've sold them for almost 25 years as well, and they're every bit as easy to work with today as when I started. Now, that said, I find some of their new lens colors and mirrors to be downright silly...but the quality aspect has always been there. From a lab work standpoint, they're the very antithesis of Davis/Spectera.
    Sooooo...how does working for VSP wages affect their lab? I don't get it one bit.

Occupation
    King: that's pretty apples to oranges, no? It's pretty easy to supply contact lenses.

Do you sell much plano Maui?
    Your right, and yeah, I sell a lot of plano. The average wage maker glasses wearer, cannot always afford the $550 RX that Maui Jim provides.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sooooo...how does working for VSP wages affect their lab? I don't get it one bit.
    This I can't answer. I find it hard to imagine that Maui would accept any hit to their bottom line from the likes of VSP - but it will certainly be something to watch closely and see how it affects their product or quality potentially.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I talked to a VSP rep and from what he said, the plan is that if you would get some sort of kick back on selling Rx Maui's. He basically said they would be ordered the same and nothing is really changing. When I talked to my Maui rep last Friday, she didn't know what the details were. The VSP rep did tell me nothing has been etched in stone and is still subject to change.

Occupation
    Just might be something that a whole lot of people don't know about yet, my MJ rep is pretty reliable being with the company 15+ years, I'd be surprised if it was false. Lets wait and see, the new year is around the corner.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    August 15th 2019 Maui Jim will officially be in network with VSP.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Thread Information