Thread: Special Olympics - Lions Clubs International Opening Eyes Program

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Special Olympics - Lions Clubs International Opening Eyes Program

I have always admired the athletes who compete in the Special Olympics and I have admired the Lion's Vision Programs. When I ran across the Special Olympics - Lions Clubs International Opening Eyes Program, I thought that it was a great idea.

I have posted the info about the program here on OptiBoard for those of you who would like to help them out. Here is an email from the senior program co-ordinator to let us know what we can do:
    Hi Joann

Thanks very much for your kind interest! Of course the Opening Eyes Program is always grateful to receive donations. If your association is interested in making a cash donation to the program, I would kindly suggest that cash donations be directed to LCIF, as we provide the grant for the program. In kind donations (such as equipment, visual acuity charts, etc) are also most welcome.

As you can see from the website, this program relies heavily on volunteer support both from the eye care community and local Lions working together. If any of your members are interested in becoming more involved in the "hands on" aspect of the program, we would welcome their involvement. I would be happy to provide a program video and additional literature if you think that would be helpful.

Since the program's inception, 24,000 athletes have received eye exams at 100 events worldwide. More than 9,600 pairs of glasses and protective eyewear have been distributed to help athletes live more complete lives. All of this has been made possible through generous donations of time, talent and funds. If you are interested in making a cash donation to LCIF, I can guide you through the process for donating to LCIF and specifying that the funds be directed to the Special Olympics program. Of course, all donations to LCIF are tax-deductable.

So, in summary, we welcome all of the following: -cash donations -in kind donations -volunteer support.

I am happy to discuss any of these options with you and look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Carrie Drummond

Carrie Drummond Sr. Program Coordinator, LCIF Grant Programs Dept.
    300 W. 22nd St.
    Oak Brook, IL 60523-8842
    phone: (630) 571-5466 ext. 593
    fax: (630) 571-5735
    email: cdrummon@lionsclubs.org
    visit: www.lcif-openingeyes.org
    Here is the link to their website if you would like to learn more about the program: http://www.lcif-openingeyes.org

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Essilor

VisionMonday.com
    Vol. No: 17:06Issue: 3/31/03

Essilor to Supply Lenses for Special Olympics

DALLAS--Essilor International was recently named exclusive worldwide supplier of ophthalmic lenses for the Special Olympics/Lions Club International “Opening Eyes” program, through 2005. Essilor will supply lenses to approximately 76 Opening Eyes events worldwide this year; Essilor Laboratories of America will donate polycarbonate lenses for all the events in the U.S.

Special Olympics is an international program of year-round sports training and athletic competition for children and adults with mental retardation. The International Olympic committee supports the program.

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Just thought that you would like to know that the special olympics and being staged in Ireland this year.

http://www.specialolympics.ie/

Thread Information